1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Camberwell Fayre tomorrow.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let's hope the weather picks up!

3. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Well that was tits.
    Bag search (fair enough but stop touching all my things please). Not allowed to take any pics whatsoever.
    Drinks, around £5 but with additional £2 for the cup (refundable on return or take it as a souvenir).
    General stalls selling their nice things.
    Was expecting WAY more in the way of food choice. Very poor. Also was separated from the regular Camberwell Market stalls (which I thought were on Sundays) so you have to come right out of the fayre, by the jobsworth bagcheck wankers, to get round to them.
    Music was good :)
    Didn't stay long, wasn't worth it.
    Very disappointed.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That sounds rubbish.
    On what grounds were they stopping you taking pics?

5. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

I have no idea. I was asked if I had a phone, who bloody doesn't? "Yes," I said. Then he said, "No photographs on the premises". I was too stunned to think of a decent reaction to that. What the hell!?

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The "premises" being the park? I think I'd be stumped for a response too because it's a ridiculous thing to request.

7. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

innit.

Apparently now security people have been informed that it's okay for people to be able to take pics.
    So at the moment it's going to basically be pics of a bunch of miserable looking wet people huddled under a tree :D

8. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

That's really bizarre, I've been back and forth all day (getting drinks from my flat!) and the security haven't even made eye contact.

9. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

I'm at the 'box park' in elephant (never been here before) don't know about the offices above but the shops & food places have not a single customer in at the moment. Hope the camberwell idea happens but this place feels sad right now.

10. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Were you there during lunch hour? Elephant nandos got busy.

I've noticed quite a lot of artworks is on deliveroo or Uber eats or whichever similar thing I was looking at.

bimble likes this.
  11. drachir

The Joiners have the pizza oven in the garden back as a trial tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon; DJ playing northern soul and £5 pizzas.

sealion and editor like this.
  12. drachir

Tried I Go Chop the other day. The veggie burrito is very very good; a lot of food for £4.50 too!

mango5, BoxRoom and 3010 like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How did it go? I like the Joiners.

14. drachir

They made 3 pizzas then accidentally set the barbecue hut on fire and had to stop.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I shouldn't laugh but.. :D

16. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Yes it's an excellent addition to Camberwell. Been 3 times so far and the food has been excellent each time. The guy in there is also super friendly and gives out samples so you can try the different options - turkey gizzard is surprisingly tasty!

mango5, drachir and BoxRoom like this.
  17. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

friendofdorothy, lefteri and editor like this.
  18. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Enjoyed going to the Stormbird the other night. Great choice of beers.

19. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

20. drachir

More successful today... the pub is still un-singed!

IMG_0023.JPG

Maggot likes this.
  21. All been stripped from the dog kennel hill estate now- I have been away for a couple of weeks and has happened i the interim

22. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

23. drachir

Jungle Café has been gentrified :hmm:

The food has improved in fairness, but it's now £6.90 for a veggie breakfast (or the "Mona Lisa" as it's called, because numbers were too easy) and doesn't even include a tea!

24. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

First trip to Camberwell in about 5 years. Beers in the Hermits Cave - excellent selection - then a very nice pizza in Theo's next door. Had tried to go to Silk Road but was completely rammed.

Odd to see Angels and Gypsies sign still up when it's been closed for over a year.

Final observation - based on the night we were there, everyone in Camberwell is 28.

teuchter and bimble like this.
  25. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Hermits got a good beer selection? I haven't been there for ages, may have to investigate. Ta!

26. Winot

Yeah a good half dozen pumps including Dark Star Hophead :)

Maggot and BoxRoom like this.
  27. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Cheers! WIll definitely revisit the ol' place :)

Winot likes this.
  28. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's always like that now; it's the one everyone's heard about. But a few doors back towards the green is another Szechuan restaurant called Wuli Wuli - went in there a little while ago when Silk Rd was really busy; it looked unpromisingly empty but the food was as good as Silk Rd (at least according to my companions who are more discerning than I about this stuff) and it's not packed with 28 year olds.

Winot likes this.
  29. Winot

Gotcha. We nearly went in there but were put off by the dark emptiness. And that the first thing I spotted on the menu which was "Saliva Chicken". Didn't exactly get the juices flowing. Will be less cowardly next time.

teuchter likes this.
  30. drachir

Well that's just untrue - I'm 27 :D

Winot likes this.