1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Dunno. iirc there was a consultation meeting a few months ago but there's still a sales board outside.

2. mrchristopher

mrchristopher Well-Known Member

The Ruskin Park Summer Fete is taking place on Saturday 24th June 1pm - 6pm. Please do come along, and if anyone wants to help we are always in need of volunteers! Ruskin Park Summer Fete - Friends of Ruskin Park

mango5 likes this.
  3. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Camberwell Arts Festival started today, I hadn't spotted anything about it until I saw tents going up on the Green. To make up for this oversight I offer you this FB_IMG_1497127986730.jpg

4. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

And remind y'all of this next weekend
    IMG_20170424_204809.jpg

bimble, BoxRoom and brixtonblade like this.
  5. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

I noticed that it's got a new name.does anyone know if it has new owners?

6. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Well-Known Member

Did anyone else see all those cyclists in Camberwell? Loads of youth doing wheelies at the Green.

7. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

They're all over the pavements. Bloody kids!
    *shakes fists*

Cold Harbour likes this.
  8. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Yes. The people behind 'fins and trotters' food wagon. They have proper malt vinegar on the tables :cool: Called something like Fladda.

Just took a look at the menu, quite short and interestingly features battered mackerel.

In other Camberwell Church Street news, Nigerian Street Food emporium I Go Chop has just opened as well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    sankara likes this.
  9. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

The kids on bikes were apparently on a ride out against knife crime, according to the one I asked anyway!

Him and his mates said it was called "bikes against knives", but I can't find anything about it online.

10. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Well-Known Member

Ah that's great thanks. Shame the news didn't cover it either - there must have been hundreds of them.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. drachir

editor likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

15. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I've been predicting this for Morrisons car park since the redevelopment plans for Butterfly Walk were published. It's inevitable.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Think of all the pop ups they can pack into it! The whole boxpark thing is like a like a well-oiled gentrification machine these days.

17. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Tough place to set up a business i think, Camberwell, little independent ventures seem to disappear very quickly, lots of large empty retail space that's been empty for ages and a few big chains, that's almost all there is on that bit near Morrissons. I'd be happy to see something with small units where people might be able to try doing something different.

18. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I think that's the idea. There's been one near elephant for ages, with the temporarily displaced library in it. And the shopping centre development plan is supposedly aimed at nurturing small independent businesses.

19. Ed, I know you have a chip on your shoulder about the Brixton one and to an extent I can understand that, but I genuinely think that a focal point like this could help the Camberwell area if it's successful.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Be careful what you wish for: the Brixton one we were promised turned out to be nothing like we got. There's a whole container park full of entrepreneurs who are well skilled in turning great local ideas into an extension of their fucking cash-raking, gentrifying empires.

21. drachir

The sign is very odd; if Boxpark themselves were involved they surely would have spelled the company name correctly.

22. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Public consultation next week

bimble likes this.
  23. drachir

24. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Good work. I just copied the text
    eta the blog has been updated to clarify the idea is for *a* boxpark not *the* boxpark.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wonder if they'll be applying the Pop Brixton globe spamming definition for the "Eight containers for local businesses." Box parks are great ideas in theory, but most of them swiftly turn into hideous money making machines for hipsters and the well off, run by entrepreneurs who know how to tick the right boxes.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10/10 for the on-trend, artisinal 'Camberwell Yards' name though.

phillm likes this.
  27. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, I'm sure it has. But a trendy load of foodie huts wedged into shipping containers does not a 'yard' make!

29. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era