1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Friendly people there but barely any stalls. I thought it was going to be a lot bigger. Not worth it :(

2. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Bit like the Saturday farmers' market then? There were only about 4 stalls when I went down to that!

May pop down Sunday regardless, I'm only 5 mins walk away.

BoxRoom likes this.
  3. Get Involved

Get Involved Well-Known Member

I hear the Saturday farmers' market traders don't want stalls selling hot ready-to-eat food (?), so there are two separate markets, both of which are worse than if they just combined the two. Seems silly.

4. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Different companies protecting their turf, neither really give a shit about what the locals get out of it.

5. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Stuff em. There's one up by Oval on Saturday that's miles better, and the Herne Hill one on Sundays is pretty good too.

mango5 likes this.
  6. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Agree

BoxRoom likes this.
  7. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Market forces in action.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea. They're partly doing it because we didn't get the Bakerloo extension (thankfully - the Old Kent Road route needs it far more imo). What they won't acknowledge is that the trains are already overstretched and this will add to the stresses.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  10. teuchter

It's true there's an overcrowding issue already that they are kind of ignoring. Also, as someone further down the line it's sort of not in my interest for it to be opened, really, because it'll add extra passengers and slow down the trip into town with an extra stop.

But at the same time I think in principle improvements to public transport connectivity should be supported, and while there's momentum in support of reopening a station we should take advantage of it. Most of these stations were originally closed because it was decided somewhat short-sightedly that the demand had gone (because of competition from electric tramways as I understand it). But once a station's closed it's hard to re-open it and then you potentially have lost a facility for good.

It might be that at this immediate point in time, opening it will worsen overcrowding. But in the longer picture, it's better to have the facility there than to lose an opportunity to regain it - overall it's likely to be of benefit, I think.

3010, stockwelljonny and brixtonblade like this.
  11. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

You might be right. It could take a couple of decades for all the planned road and other changes to settle down in central Camberwell. The Butterfly Walk rebuild with change footfall round there too.

12. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

What is the Butterfly Walk rebuild?

13. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Don't know exactly when it would happen, but the New Southwark Plan Preferred Options Area Visions and Site Allocations [PDF] document says

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    brixtonblade likes this.
  14. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

15. teuchter

The other thing is that with more "local" stops in inner south London, in the longer term there might be more incentive/pressure to improve the service with greater frequency, later last trains, etc. which everyone could benefit from. Although there are capacity problems with the routes out beyond Herne Hill and Denmark Hill, the stretch of line between Blackfriars and Herne Hill is at least in theory under-utilised (or will be once London Bridge is completed). It's harder to argue for an intensification of service on this stretch when really the only stops that would benefit would be Loughborough Junction and Herne Hill. If Camberwell was open that argument might be a bit stronger. Who knows, maybe one day even Walworth Rd station could re-open (not sure what the feasibility of that is)... something that might be a knock-on effect of a successful re-opening of Camberwell.

16. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I think a Walworth Road station would be brilliant... Closer to Kennington and relieve congestion in West Walworth. I suspect any further overground changes would have to wait until London Bridge is done, plus the Bakerloo and Northern Line extensions.

17. I can trench for queen and country but could not finish the veg platter@ £12 IIRC. it didn't look that much. but it is

18. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

bad road works in camberwell - took my mate over an hour to get from camberwell to herne hill this morning.

19. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Yeah. Total arse. I'm on my 4th pass through of the day. I'm allowing an extra half hour to get through - especially heading south.

The bus driver said it's gas works. Woman on a bus this morning said it was water.

20. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Water leak I thought?

21. drachir

Gas works. Absolute nightmare for me as it's right outside my flat, and drivers are taking to the disruption by beeping their horns at it all night!

22. tymonym

tymonym New Member

Will be like that until Wednesday apparently

23. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

After hearing someone on radio talking about Burgess park recently, I went and discovered it for myself today, nice little breath of fresh air. Felt rather under used though. There is still an under repair sign in there and skate park looked like it had been closed for a while.

24. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

That's a bit sad. I went up to Ruskin Park today for the first time in years. Smaller than Brockwell and more established, varied, prettier than Burgess. We should have some picnic action there this year.

editor and Maggot like this.
  25. drachir

The hash browns are good.

26. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I note the post office of doom appears to still be functioning (according to signage) despite having been largely demolished.

27. Maggot

Maggot .

:confused:

28. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

At £4.50 for some fried spuds they'd better be!

29. drachir

I hate myself for spending £4.50 on 3 hash browns, but they came with a blue sauce dip.

30. drachir

Whatever happened with Frank's buying Club Couture?