1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 13.28.24.jpg

Helicopter taking off / landing from the new helipad on top of Kings at the moment. First time I've seen this. Looks like they are doing test runs as it's landed and taken off a couple of times.

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Not without a drastic change to the train service, which is already shoulder-to-shoulder at Loughborough Junction.
    Yeah with that crane still there there's no way it's cleared for regular flights.

3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Went to the Hermit's Cave after a particularly stressful day at work. Great pub. It's a proper old school normal pub. Great beer, fire and comfy seats. Long may it continue :thumbs:

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Camberwell's still got a couple of non-twatified boozers. For now. The lucky bastards :D

5. teuchter

There's a banner up outside the hospital saying the helipad is now open, though.

6. teuchter

From their facebook page:
    Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 18.31.21.jpg

3010, Crispy and friendofdorothy like this.
  7. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

I just went to the little Tesco on Camberwell New Road. Ahead of me in the queue was one of the members of staff there; he was buying a box of Quality Street. Then I heard someone crying behind me. It was an elderly man who was trying to pay the man for the Quality Street, while the staff member was explaining that no, it was his (elderly man's) birthday and that he'd got them for him as a present. He said yes, it was his birthday and that he was from Germany and that he had no family. I wished him happy birthday and he smiled and cried. Others did. I should have got him a present but it didn't occur to me until after I'd left in tears. Much as I hate Tesco, the staff in that shop are really fucking lovely.

8. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

9. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

What's happened above Rock Steady Eddie's?? There's a space! Did they part demolish it?

10. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to hear that I've moved further down into Camberwell proper, thus ending the debate of whether I live in Camberwell or Denmark hill.

11. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

12. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

thats quite an effort just to end a debate.

drachir, BoxRoom and Maggot like this.
  13. friendofdorothy

Just a mention to those of you who live nearby that there will be Urban South London Drinks in a pub near Peckham Rye, just after xmas. For full details see the thread in the community forum or pm me.

mango5 likes this.
  14. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

15. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

There's never been anything above Eddie's (apart from the sign) has there?

mango5 likes this.
  16. friendofdorothy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  17. Maharani

Oh! It just looked really odd/different. I've been going to camberwell for years and years and have never noticed that space before. Must have had my blinkers on.

18. r0bb0

r0bb0 wheres my balloon

WINTER ARTS MARKET 2016 plus an open artists weekend
    SATURDAY 3 DECEMBER, 10AM - 4PM
    DATCHELOR PLACE, SE5 7AP

To kick off the festive season in style join us for the winter edition of the Made in Camberwell Arts Market

Full of locally produced handmade art and design - savvy shoppers will be able to purchase unique gifts, homewares and jewellery sold directly by the artists and makers. Expect a fun, festive and bustling atmosphere!

Pigeon Hole Cafe will be on hand to provide tasty festive treats and hot drinks throughout the day, plus there will be story telling, drop-in art activities and live music from Camberwell Choir School to keep everyone entertained.

Story Telling in the Flying Fish
    Under 7's 11.00am-12.00noon | 5-9 years 2.30-3.30pm

Drop in Art Activities by Cowling & Wilcox
    10am-4pm

Live Music by Camberwell Choir School
    12.30pm
    Winter 2016

19. drachir

Finishes at 4, might have been an idea to post that a bit earlier :D

Maggot and r0bb0 like this.
  20. r0bb0

r0bb0 wheres my balloon

:facepalm: lol, there's always the open artist weekend

drachir likes this.
  21. drachir

Are there any laundrettes about that are open in the evenings? My new place doesn't have a washing machine, and my flatmate apparently has enough clothes that she hasn't needed one yet. One came up on Google, but the opening times say until 7 and the reviews are all people complaining it's not open even that late.

I'm a few doors down from Love Walk dry cleaners, but not sure if they do general laundry... and don't want to be a nob and use Laundrapp.

22. friendofdorothy

Isn't there a laundrette on Coldharbour lane? no idea of opening hours sorry.

23. Maharani

If you can be arsed to come to Tulse Hill we have about 100! And put a bet on while you're here and eat some fried chicken all of which we have in abundance. Tulse hill is old school.

24. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

This has been bothering me. I looked the other day and I don't recall seeing it so clear up there. There has to me something missing, I thought. Tidied up a bit maybe?
    Checked on street view back to 2008 and it looks the same.
    Very odd! It really does seem more open and suchlike.

25. Maharani

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

BoxRoom likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My heart goes out to all locals:
    "burgeoning foodie hub" :facepalm:

27. drachir

Turns out Love Walk do self service laundry too :thumbs:

28. drachir

London's meat fetishism is out of control.

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the whole press release. It's going to be a "casual but stylish south London joint".

30. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Cured meat curators :D :facepalm: fuck off :thumbs: