1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camberwell news and chitter-chatter

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by mango5, Nov 13, 2009.

1. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

man shot last night, critical condition in camberwell.

man stabbed to death in hackney.

2. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

3. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Camberwell Fair is back on 20th August. It's moving to Burgess Park as it's already outgrown the Green after one year.
    Camberwell Fair
    Looks like the old library is being taken over by meat fetishists (a licence application from this lot is in the window) Cannon & Cannon · British Cured Meat

Maggot, boohoo, editor and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Member

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm putting on a free show at the Old Dispensary this Friday with a very original Brooklyn band. It's free all night. Please come along!

[​IMG]

Fri 5th Aug: Brooklyn comes to Camberwell – Bombay Rickey live at the Old Dispensary

bimble likes this.
  6. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's Denmark Hill. It's on a hill, and that hill is called Denmark Hill.

The railway and Coldharbour Lane are significant in this part of London. They mark the edge of the flat area stretching down to the river. Below the railway line is flat london, above the railway is hilly London. You are above the railway, just like Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Brixton Hill. Camberwell is the other side of the tracks in flatland.

Camberwell isn't your closest amenities/shopping area either. East Dulwich is closer. You might want to just not mention that too much.

HTH

mango5 and wtfftw like this.
  7. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

I was going along with this until you said East Dulwich is my closest shopping area. It's quicker for me to walk to Morrison's than it is to Champion Hill Sainsbury's, and if you're talking East Dulwich proper it's even further away!

Anyway, now I've lived here a month I'm leaning towards it being Camberwell, just on the basis of that's where I drink.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  8. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

You are wrong and Teuchter is right. Don't bring facts into this. The name of your neighbourhood is the name of the hill (but not Champion Hill) or perhaps your nearest station. HTH. :thumbs:

drachir likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's like SW9 vs SW2 all over again!

10. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Don't come round here with your Brixton ways :hmm:

Maggot, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  11. drachir

Went to Maloko last night - really really nice, and a big meal for £6 (and BYOB with £1 a head corkage). Took a while since it was one guy doing everything, but he was great.

editor, Thimble Queen and mango5 like this.
  12. teuchter

Then you must be only a little bit south of the railway line, which means you aren't really on the hill, but also means you must be very close to Denmark Hill train station in which case you definitely live in Denmark Hill. You are excused from living in East Dulwich. Case closed.

13. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Teuchter, which bit of 'Champion Hill Estate' do you not understand?

drachir and friendofdorothy like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Had a good night at the Old Dispensary last night. The band were ace.

6.jpg

Lucy Fur and drachir like this.
  15. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Hear you met Rudi?

16. teuchter

I understand it as a term of greater specificity than any used so far by drachir in defining his/her location.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lucy Fur and 3010 like this.
  18. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Those planning to go to Camberwell Fair in Burgess Park next weekend might like to explore Walworth first...

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Greebo likes this.
  20. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

Yes it was excellent to see that is now open, however I must admit the blank slide projector installation annoyed me!
    [​IMG]

Greebo, mango5 and editor like this.
  21. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

London parents and teachers:

22. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Whats up with that fucking helicopter?

23. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Tis one of the background sounds of the area. Expect more. They're building a helipad on the roof of Kings I think.

24. drachir

The helipad was finished a while back!

25. teuchter

The helipad is finished but not in use yet. As I understand it, they decided to carry out some other building work at the same time and they can't start using it until that's finished too. In the meantime, the helicopters continue to land in Ruskin Park in the bit just above the foootball pitch enclosures.

mango5 and drachir like this.
  26. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

If anyone is around this afternoon I can't recommend this highly enough FB_IMG_1476622505144.jpg great stuff thanks to Rocket no.9 of this parish

27. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

28. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Yes tricky

Presumably this means there wont be any water when I get home tonight?

29. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

00001.04343.jpg
    Cleared a little now, still closed off. Leak was up by The Bear, fire brigade on the scene quite swiftly.

30. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

Looks like Network Rail want to 'do a Peckham Rye' and develop their rail arches on Camberwell Station Road - Network Rail plans to transform Camberwell arches into cafes - Southwark News - depending on your perspective this is either good for Camberwell as it will give the area a sense of place and bring in new develoment or it will be bad as the garages will have to move elsewhere and it will make the whole place more hip and trendy and raise prices.

I hope that it will lead to the reopening of Camberwell Station which apparently was shut to passengers in 1916.

3010 and friendofdorothy like this.