Call to ban hands free mobiles from cars (they donor call August silly season for nothing)

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by gosub, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Snide.

maomao likes this.
  3. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

How are disabled folks supposed to get around?

4. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Free cab-like services provided on the basis of need rather than the ability to pay.

farmerbarleymow and Almor like this.
  5. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

What’s the difference between a cab service and a cab-like service?

6. 8ball

It’s free!

7. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

A blanket ban on drivers using phones of any description when driving wouldn't offend me too much, even if I were a rep again. People just have to get used to the idea that they will have to stop their vehicles in a safe spot in order to use their phones and in the meantime callers can leave a message and they can collect and respond to these when parked up and stationary

Phones could have a "driving" setting where all calls are routed directly to voicemail.

Celyn and a_chap like this.
  8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

They do.

8ball likes this.
  9. 8ball

It’s just the voicemail with a custom message - surprised they don’t have it already, really.

10. 8ball

That settled that pretty quickly.

11. weltweit

Mine doesn't :)

12. 8ball

Just looked for it on mine and found it - slightly tucked away tbf. :oops:

13. weltweit

No point me looking, I currently have a Nokia mobile phone.
    As in a "mobile telephone", it isn't a smart phone.

14. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Same as the rest of us.

Better public transport.

Almor and maomao like this.
  15. weltweit

16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Seeing as you’ve quoted me when I was talking about having kids at the back, who by their very nature are guaranteed to regularly cry, scream, shout, or fight with each other, I would like to see any study that claims that specific circumstance is not distracting enough to cause the driving parent to lose their concentration and stop paying due attention to their driving.

I am not sure such study exist, frankly. But I’d like to read it if it does. Because at the higher end of the disruption scale, such as a young child having a tantrum complete with furious kicking and ear-bursting cries, or two kids fighting each other and crying (something that most kids will do at least occasionally), you don’t have to have a degree to know it would be significantly distracting to most parents.

Regardless of which scenario of the two might come on top in the distraction scale, there is no fucking way that having a calm phone conversation whilst driving can be deemed too distracting for safe driving, but driving with screaming or fighting kids at the back somehow is not disrupting enough to become unacceptable also. No fucking way.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  17. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Nobody has said that screaming kids aren't a dangerous distraction. But you can pull over and put duct tape over their mouths, and nail their hands to their knees and their feet to the floor with a Hilti gun.
    Also, drivers tend to not be involved in the decision making process that results in kids screaming in the back seat, whereas drivers are wholly responsible for making the decision to use a phone whilst driving.
    And most kids aren't like that, are they? I'd like to see a study that shows that children are "guaranteed to regularly cry, scream, shout, or fight with each other". Don't get me wrong, I'd love to ban screaming children from everywhere but a padded room in their parents' house, but human rights, etc.

Celyn likes this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

All the more reason to get the figure down even lower, no?

maomao likes this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

So what's your argument here? Don't ban the use of phones while driving despite the ample research proving they can cause serious distraction, because kids sometimes shout at the back?

Celyn likes this.
  20. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

1: Set up voicemail
    2: Press and hold power button until phone turns off.

No need to thank me.

21. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Seriously though, I think I agree with spymaster. Banning this and that, there does have to be an evaluation and acceptance of risk, as well as risk of further restrictions having unintended consequences (like more people using phones instead of hands free cos fuck it it's still six points either way - for all the 'hands free is more dangerous than x' stuff I'd be interested to see a comparison about the risk of handset use v handsfree).

Anyway as with lots of stuff the best solution isn't loads of the stick in various ways to discourage behaviour, it's the carrot of a better alternative. Railways in public ownership, thousands of miles of new track, billions invested, fuck off idea public transport has to make profit or be cost neutral. Recognise the cost is worth it for the social benefits. Make public transport free. Done.

crossthebreeze and chilango like this.
  22. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

How about maybe we have enough laws, we should allow people to use common sense and not pass regulations that would be difficult to enforce at best.

T & P likes this.
  23. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

Public transport isn't a door to door solution.

spanglechick likes this.
  24. xenon

What is it about transport threads that attract kneejerk brain fart nonsense posts.

25. xenon

The amount of mini cabs I get in where the driver is talking on the phone. I spose they migh be using a Bluetooth ear piece. They also don't seem to know where the fuck anything is half the time and ask me where the best place to park is.
    :rolleyes:

Celyn likes this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

So let's make it easy. Don't use the fucking phone when you're driving. Sorted.

moomoo, Celyn and a_chap like this.
  27. nyxx

nyxx Well-Known Member

but better public transport that is free to use would make for far fewer journeys made by car so the number of fatalities should also go down.

28. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I had a toy car with ejector seat like that! I think there were guns or some sort of make-believe weaponry that came out of the front of it too.

29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Kneejerk, brain fart, nonsense posters.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  30. editor

editor hiraethified

It was the James Bond Aston Martin. Most people swiftly lost the ejecting man but if you were one of those weird kids that kept your toys in their boxes and never used them, the car is worth a mint now.

Celyn likes this.