1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California dreaming...

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by felixthecat, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

once drove Vegas to La. Left Veags in 96 degrees and arrived to something similar in LA, in between went through snow drifts!

scifisam likes this.
  2. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Itinerary now settled
    LA 5th - 9th
    Cayucos 9th-10th
    Monterey 10th -13th
    SF 13th-17th (will use this as a base to visit Sonoma/Napa)
    Fish Creek 17th-19th (staying in Yosemite was astronomical and I'm not camping alone. Still gives me easy access and great tours from there)
    Mammoth Lakes 19th-20th
    Beatty/Death Valley 20th -21st
    Las Vegas 21st-24th - have booked a Grand Canyon day and Cirque Du Soleil on my last evening:cool:

Fly home evening of 24th.

I'm still a bit ?? about what to do in LA. I want to visit the Griffith Observatory and La Brea tar pits, but I'm kinda meh about the main touristy stuff. Ideas? Everywhere else I know exactly what I want to do and see.

scifisam likes this.
  3. petee

petee i'm spartacus

in LA: would the movie studios give tours?

4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Still think you are spending too much time in LA!

5. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Universal does but as part of the theme park entry, which wouldn't be much fun as a lone adult.

Right next to La Brea is the main - very good - art museum, LACMA. Between them you could easily spend one full enjoyable day.

The Huntingdon Library doesn't look that special if you're used to English country houses, but it has a lot of hidden treasures (one of Edison's original lightbulbs, for example, and Gainsborough's Blue Boy). The Getty Museum also looks awesome but I haven't been personally. Actually in general LA is good for museums, particularly art, so you can probably just Google for which ones are near you.

I can't remember when exactly you're going but you could try out a sports game, whichever sport's in season - they're an experience in themselves. Basketball has a lot going on on the court and tickets to see the LA Clippers are generally easier and cheaper to get than the more famous Lakers

The drive in (I've been to this one - Outdoor Movies Los Angeles Pet friendly - very much for the locals rather than tourists) is another quintessentially American experience that's not actually widely available any more.

Venice Beach (and Santa Monica) is worth a visit, just to wander around and look at stuff

My friends go hiking around Big Bear, but the Hollywood sign is also a popular walking spot and I don't mean in a dodgy way.

6. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

I hadn't thought of LACMA. I'D like to go to the Getty Centre just for Van Gogh's Irises!

I'd bloody love to go to a basketball game - it's a sport I follow - but by the time I'm there it'll be playoff time. The regular season games end in April and I'm there in May:(.