California dreaming...

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by felixthecat, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

once drove Vegas to La. Left Veags in 96 degrees and arrived to something similar in LA, in between went through snow drifts!

scifisam likes this.
  2. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Itinerary now settled
    LA 5th - 9th
    Cayucos 9th-10th
    Monterey 10th -13th
    SF 13th-17th (will use this as a base to visit Sonoma/Napa)
    Fish Creek 17th-19th (staying in Yosemite was astronomical and I'm not camping alone. Still gives me easy access and great tours from there)
    Mammoth Lakes 19th-20th
    Beatty/Death Valley 20th -21st
    Las Vegas 21st-24th - have booked a Grand Canyon day and Cirque Du Soleil on my last evening:cool:

Fly home evening of 24th.

I'm still a bit ?? about what to do in LA. I want to visit the Griffith Observatory and La Brea tar pits, but I'm kinda meh about the main touristy stuff. Ideas? Everywhere else I know exactly what I want to do and see.

scifisam likes this.
  3. petee

petee i'm spartacus

in LA: would the movie studios give tours?

4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Still think you are spending too much time in LA!

5. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Universal does but as part of the theme park entry, which wouldn't be much fun as a lone adult.

Right next to La Brea is the main - very good - art museum, LACMA. Between them you could easily spend one full enjoyable day.

The Huntingdon Library doesn't look that special if you're used to English country houses, but it has a lot of hidden treasures (one of Edison's original lightbulbs, for example, and Gainsborough's Blue Boy). The Getty Museum also looks awesome but I haven't been personally. Actually in general LA is good for museums, particularly art, so you can probably just Google for which ones are near you.

I can't remember when exactly you're going but you could try out a sports game, whichever sport's in season - they're an experience in themselves. Basketball has a lot going on on the court and tickets to see the LA Clippers are generally easier and cheaper to get than the more famous Lakers

The drive in (I've been to this one - Outdoor Movies Los Angeles Pet friendly - very much for the locals rather than tourists) is another quintessentially American experience that's not actually widely available any more.

Venice Beach (and Santa Monica) is worth a visit, just to wander around and look at stuff

My friends go hiking around Big Bear, but the Hollywood sign is also a popular walking spot and I don't mean in a dodgy way.

6. felixthecat

I hadn't thought of LACMA. I'D like to go to the Getty Centre just for Van Gogh's Irises!

I'd bloody love to go to a basketball game - it's a sport I follow - but by the time I'm there it'll be playoff time. The regular season games end in April and I'm there in May:(.

7. felixthecat

Bloody hell this has come around quickly:eek::eek::eek:! I'm off this weekend:eek:!

moomoo, beesonthewhatnow and aqua like this.
  8. 2hats

2hats

If you are still wondering about “non-main-touristy-stuff” then get out of LA eastwards and go wander around Joshua Tree and the cactus gardens there. Alternatively try and find the original MASH set or the West/Ward batcave. :D

Obviously I would suggest JPL, but they don’t have an open day until early June.

9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Have a great time!

10. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier by scifisam, you can do a tour at Universal.

You can also do tours at Warner Brothers and Paramount.

11. felixthecat

Well I'm back.

It was fucking awesome and I didn't want to come home. I'm knackered, mind you:D

equationgirl, Chilli.s, Edie and 4 others like this.
  12. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Glad you had such a brilliant time!

13. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good time. What were the highlights? (I ask because I'm going next month: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas (and Grand Canyon).)

14. felixthecat

My best bits? Oooh difficult. Probably driving through the Sierra Nevadas. I had to stop every 2 minutes because the views just got better and better. Damn, no, seeing a blue whale on my whale watching trip. Or possibly craft beer drinking in SF or just riding a bike along the Santa Monica bike path. Or just gawping at the sheer beauty of Yosemite, all of it. Maybe being one of those annoying people on an electric scooter whizzing around Golden Gate Park, although it just might be the Gordon Ramsey burger at Planet Hollywood in Vegas, washed down with blueberry mojitos in the company of a lovely bartender called Ed.
    And I thought the Hoover dam was magnificent -Don't miss it on the way to the Grand Canyon. A masterpiece of art deco architecture right down to the shiny brass doors.
    Learning about ice hockey from a bunch of Las Vegas bikers (red riders mc iirc) in a bar in Stovepipe Wells also had to be a bit of a highlight, as did finding the weird sculptures in the desert.

So much stuff, so many memories:cool:.

So many bloody photographs to sort through...

petee, equationgirl, scifisam and 5 others like this.
  15. felixthecat

And if you haven't booked your tour to Alcatraz do it NOW.
    Also if you're thinking about doing the Grand Canyon Skywalk, think carefully. It really isn't all that and it's not cheap.

16. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Cool...I'm off there (San Diego to San Fran, route tbc) so going to take some inspiration from this :thumbs:

17. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Glad to hear you had a great time felixthecat - excellent pics too :thumbs:

felixthecat likes this.