1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California dreaming...

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by felixthecat, Sep 10, 2017.

1. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Ok, a combination of late mid life crisis and a bit of back pay has resulted in me not spending the money on something sensible but booking flights to LA in May next year instead:facepalm:

Tips and advice for a lone traveller please? I will start and finish in LA but plan on driving as far as SF. I'm already checking out airbnbs, which I think is the way to go for someone travelling alone

2. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

If you're not dead-set on going to San Fran, then going South to San Diego and East to Vegas and the Grand Canyon are great options. There's a lot of pretty or not so pretty nothing between LA and San Francisco and not much to do whereas you can drive to Vegas in a day easily and then either drive to the Grand Canyon or get one of the many cheap coach trips out there. Route 66 doesnt really exist any more but visiting the stops on the remaining bits is an experience in itself.

There's tons to see and do in LA itself. Skyscraper can probably tell you more but the Huntingdon, La Brea (tar pits - an anthropological museum near tonthe fantastic art museum) and basically so many things are well worth visiting.

In May, pack jumpers or hoodies or possibly just pack one and buy more there, but prepare for cold. It can get really cold in the evenings even in LA (last time I went was last May). San Francisco will be chilly.

felixthecat likes this.
  3. felixthecat

I'm there for 19 days so I've got a reasonable amount of time I guess. I'm open to.pretty much any suggestions!

4. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

I think the drive to SF along the coast is pretty nice and prefer SF to LA. I don't particularly like LA or think there is much to do there. I preferred it the second time more than the first as I had a car but I still don't like the idea of having to drive everywhere to explore the place.

Not far from SF you can also go enjoy the wine country of Sonoma and Napa.

If you like parks, Yosemite is very good and might be interesting to also go to Sequoia, Joshua Tree and Death Valley national parks.

With 19 days you have time to see quite a lot.

felixthecat likes this.
  5. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

IMG_4317.JPG

On the coast between Sf and LA is the Madonna Inn and spa (no relation to her madgesty).

It's widely accepted as the kitchest hotel in the world. Totally on my personal bucket list.

6. felixthecat

Oh...MY!:cool:
    That's in SLO which is on my preliminary itinerary. Hmm...

spanglechick likes this.
  7. felixthecat

Ok anyone got any views on this as an itinerary?

Arrive LA afternoon 5th May
    Leave LA morning 9th May
    (Santa Barbara/ Solvang.)
    Arrive Cayucos early evening 9th May
    Leave Cayucos 10th May
    Arrive Monterey afternoon 10th May
    (Big Sur/Point Lobos/Monterey/Carmel/ winery)
    Leave Monterey 13th May
    Arrive SF 13th May
    Leave SF 17th May
    Arrive Yosemite 17th May
    Depart Yosemite 19th May
    Arrive Grand Canyon 19th May
    Depart Grand Canyon 21st May
    Arrive LA 21st May
    Depart LA 24th May
    ... And back to London

Up to 10th May is definite the rest is up for playing around with

Miss Caphat likes this.
  8. 2hats

2hats ☢️

You are setting yourself up for one or two long driving days there. Unless you have a long list of things you desperately want to see in LA (it's not really all it is cracked up to be) I'd break the drive from Yosemite in eg Death Valley, though it depends on how much you prefer wild landscape over cities I guess (I used to land in LA or SF, grab a 4WD then disappear into the desert for several weeks - didn't take long to lose interest in LA once I'd been to a handful of locations. I only ever go back to see friends. SF far more interesting.)

E2a: never found PCH that interesting to be honest. Especially after spending so much time on Dorset/Devon/Cornish/Western Scottish coasts. (off-topic: Great Ocean Road similarly).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Maltin likes this.
  9. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

As 2hats mentions, your itinerary has two potentially long drives - Yosemite to Grand Canyon, GC to LA. I would also suggest reducing the time in LA on the return visit to factor this in. Could also reduce the time in Monterey and I would plan to arrive in Monterey in the evening as there are plenty of stopping points on the drive there. Also, if you like wine, perhaps schedule a day/night in Napa/Sonoma when you are up near SF, perhaps the day before you go to Yosemite.

10. Hoss

Hoss ...It was the blurst of times...

We spent part of our honeymoon in SF and then Glen Ellen in Sonoma Valley, in October 2013.

If you like wine or countryside or food or all 3 then I highly recommend Sonoma, just 1hr from the Golden Gate bridge.

It's a slice of small town America, very relaxed and welcoming. The wine industry is very unpolished and accessible compared to neighbouring Napa Valley, which felt a bit snooty and grand.

We then drove from Sonoma to LA in 1 day, just under 12 hours. The coastal scenery is breathtaking and in hindsight we should have stopped for a night or 2 to check out a coastal town but we were scheduled to fly out of LAX to Mexico.

Prepare yourself for up to 14 lanes of LA freeway traffic but don't let this put you off - it's an experience in itself.

If you do decide on Sonoma I can recommend a couple of places to stay/eat/drink.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

11. 2hats

2hats ☢️

Badunk, badunk, badunk, badunk, etc. (many freeways, particularly around LA, are precast concrete slab built and they all shift with each seismic event, settling unevenly).

Just treat all other freeway drivers as idiots and do all their thinking for them; assume none of them will use their mirrors or indicate (they rarely do).

Also, don't drive along I-5 (LA-SF) unless you have a strong stomach. The stench* and views of the intensive cattle farms are surely enough to turn the most ardent meat eaters vegan.

* last personally sampled just over 10 years ago now so may have changed.

12. felixthecat

Yeah I did wonder about the 2 long days, partic the SF to Yosemite one. I can split it that's no problem and I'm happy to drop the last bit in LA. Sonoma - I like the idea. Food and wine I'm good at

* does MORE crossing out...)

Driving anywhere doesn't faze me - I drove on mental roads with mental (often drunk) drivers in the Caribbean, usually in cars missing bits like handbrakes and wing mirrors. Yeah this is different but it's still driving with lunatics

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. felixthecat

Although tbf the SF (or probably now Sonoma) to Yosemite isnt any further than the drive I've done today (Bath to Stanstead 3.75hrs) and probably a whole lot more interesting

14. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

There that one massive cattle station half way between LA and Sacramento that you can smell for miles before and after!

15. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

you've left out visiting 'friends' ;) :p

16. 1927

While in Monterrey make sure you walk up the pier and try everyone's free samples of clam chowder and go on a whale watching trip.

17. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Considering some of the routes you've taken from our house to yours I'd say it'll be a success if you avoid driving into the Grand Canyon itself :p :D

aqua and felixthecat like this.
  18. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

i think SF to Yosemite is fine in one go. it was more the Yosemite to Grand Canyon leg which is a 10 hour drive that perhaps you would want to split into 2 days especially as there are other places on the way you could stop at. The second longest was Grand Canyon to LA which is 7.5 hours.

2hats likes this.
  19. felixthecat

I'd already decided to split the Yosemite to Grand Canyon drive with a Death Valley day.

I'll probably suck up the last drive - although i might not...

20. felixthecat

Any suggestions where to stop off if I do change my mind?

21. felixthecat

It's true that I don't have the best sense of direction :oops:

22. felixthecat

I don't plan on it...

23. 1927

Las Vegas.

24. felixthecat

Surely thats more out of the way?:confused:

Anyway, the thought of Vegas doesn't excite me.

25. petee

petee i'm spartacus