California Burning

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by diego, Oct 25, 2007.

1. diego

diego Banned Banned

What do you think the people of Iraq must be thinking as they learn of what is happening in the State of California right now?

Do you think it will remind them of the carpet bombing of their country led by America?

Do you think it will remind them of the Fallujah assault?

Or will they think of the many Iraqi mothers, sisters, daughters and wives who lost everything since the terror attacks by America began?

I just can't help but make comparisons when I watch the news and see thousands of homeless and evacuees fleeing from thier burning homes and seeking emergency shelter.

Its not nice to see this happen to anyone but many people I speak to tend to have the mentality "what goes around comes around".

2. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

What's happening in parts of California is nothing like the rape and destruction of a nation and it's people and infrastructure.

3. fela fan

fela fan sunny thailand

What goes round does indeed come round, but also drringding's comments are true too. All life is inextricably linked, so if you do bad to others then bad will visit you. If you do bad to nature, it will strike back.

Such links also include the american people and their govenment. As a whole, the actions of the government represent the people.

Naturally enough people undeserving of bad actions get caught up in it all, but such is the randomness, and often unfairness, of life.

Having said all that, total sympathies towards all californians who are caught up in these fires. They do happen to be the most progessive of the states, the most international in outlook, and it's just a pity these fires aren't suffocating the white house and all commnities where politicians, greedy corporate sorts, and gung-ho military commanders hang out.

4. jonH

jonH New Member

Can't God help................or is she awlready?

5. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

There's what, three people dead or something? Bit early to start creaming yourself about 'divine justice' or whatever it is you're thinking.

6. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Have they blamed Al-Quada yet? :D

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Two toss threads in an hour...not bad going...

I would imagine people in Baghdad have more pressing issues that watching news of California on fire...

8. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007 (nom.)

Here's how some Americans seem to think about it: a 'handful of people who hate America ... losing their homes"

http://mediamatters.org/items/200710220003?f=h_top

9. zoltan

zoltan Transnistria festishist

Not exactly awash with glee at the thouight of anyone losing their home - rich or poor - in a fire, but any analogy / comparison to Iraq isnt really relevant

Still, if you build wooden houses in areas where bush fires are a natural and expected part of natures cycle, then you should expect to get your fingers burned at some point

10. humboldt

humboldt Well-Known Member

11. david dissadent

david dissadent New Member

The US is experiancing several cripling droughts in its Southern States. Not Australias 'big dry' scale yet, but getting there. Southern California is definently and area suffering drought.

12. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

So what was the 'reason' behind the earthquake that devestated Qum, or the Boxing Day tsunami...

Such thoughts seem too close to God Bothering

13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

With the fires subsiding, it appears the forces of universal justice, in retribution for the USA's invasion of Iraq, have decided to strike down three people who ignored warnings to leave their home, chastise many others with the loss of some possessions and some higher insurance premiums, but to bestow a minor blessing on many homebuilding companies in Southern California.

Fate moves in mysterious ways...

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

And let's face it, any housebuilder in the US needs the business at the moment...

15. bigfish

bigfish Gone fishing

So it's manmade global warming wot done it then?

The Australian drought ended some time ago, by the way.

16. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

The drought in Louisiana recently ended with several feet of flood water in New Orleans. I talked to a customer there and he had to slog through a two feet of water to get to work on wednesday.

17. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I have a job for them. I've been trying for a week to get a callback for putting up some guttering and can't get anyone to even return the call. Bastards.

18. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

It did? I thought this year had seen a record in the levels of failed crops in Australia?

19. untethered

untethered For industry & decency

The people of California are no more collectively responsible for what's happened in Iraq than the people of London.

Or do you think it'd be fine if a few thousands homes here were wiped out, too?

20. bigfish

bigfish Gone fishing

Yes, the drought ended in May. Drought in Australia is linked with El Nino events in the Pacific, which happen roughly every 9 or 10 years. The El Nino signature is warmer water off the west coast of South America with heavy rain and floods there and corresponding cooler water off Australia leading to drought. This pattern is called the Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO). It's got nothing at all to do with human emissions of CO2.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21755506-5009760,00.html

21. david dissadent

:rolleyes:

Perhaps a thread of its own.....

22. disownedspirit

disownedspirit New Member

23. Just plain bonkers. AND you contradict yourself by saying bad things that happen are somehow deserved and then that good people are accidentally caught up in them.

24. bigfish

bigfish Gone fishing

25. bigfish

bigfish Gone fishing

26. david dissadent

http://www.murrayirrigation.com.au/files/3291053.pdf

Your links are for May and June. Sorry pal but the drought aint broke in Australia.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/drought.shtml

Oh and before you kick off again BigFish I am personaly NOT bameing this drought on global warming. It may be a factor or the cause but Australia is a very drought prone region and we dont have enough data to make those statements IMHO.

27. dash_two

dash_two New Member

Talk of fanaticism is a bit rich coming from you seeing as nearly all of your posts are about the same subject, and a bit light on the humour side too, apart from feeble puns such as The Gonadian and Greenwarfare, arf arf.

Get a life matey.

A sensible position though in the case of Southern California, 2007 has been the driest year for around 130 years. The 2006/2007 Australian drought seems to have been unusually bad as well, not the sort of thing which happens with such severity every decade, more like every century. I guess this kind of thing will become more frequent in certain parts of the world.

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

29. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I'd forgotten how widespread this kind of shit still was 11 years ago.

spring-peeper likes this.
  30. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Call me old fashioned but I think if I did live in Hell, and had to escape it in my low-fuel, engine-fault car, I'd probably concentrate on the driving rather than trying to simultaneously remake an orange-tinted Blair Witch on my phone.