Buying Christmas trees in Brixton, Christmas 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 6, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm going to post up another, hopefully useful, feature on where people can buy Christmas trees around Brixton. There's the usual people on Electric Ave and the flower stall nearby, but where else have you seen trees for sale?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Also the stall on Pope's Road. Is the one at the Hoot open this year? Any others?

3. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

The former German-Swedish car parts shop on Acre Lane (over from the Tesco car park) is selling them - I think it's a charity-operated pop-up deal but would have to check again to be sure.

editor likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

There is a massive display of trees outside ex-Diamond Merchant/Hygge corner of Baytree Road & Acre Lane and also corner of Trinity Gardens/Acre Lane (as noted by trabuquera). Can't speak for the charitable intent of either of those.

editor likes this.
  6. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Also at the front of St Mark's, opposite Oval station.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    editor likes this.
  7. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

If you can wait until boxing day, the builders merchants on Acre Lane leave all their unsold ones out in the street, big fuckers as well.

But then, you'll likely want the tree for actual christmas day.

8. Angellic

Handy for Eastern Orthodox Christians though.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Next time i meet an Eastern Orthodox Christian, i shall be sure to inform them of this. Any idea where they chill out?

10. Angellic

I know a few Eritrean ones from work and around Lambeth. Lovely people.

DietCokeGirl and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Not sure how this helps - given that Christmas trees are a German pagan reversion introduced to England by Prince Albert (of Saxe-Coburg Gotha) - the consort of Queen Victoria.

Not only that - but visitors to Orthodox countries - be they Greek, Russian or Coptic - will be aware that Christmas is of negligible importance in the Orthodox culture. The big deal is Easter with hand-painted Easter eggs (real eggs) and midnight fireworks on a par with November 5th here.

12. Angellic

Well, the ones I know still celebrate Christmas but around 10 days later.

13. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Unorthodox Orthodox Christians

Angellic likes this.
  14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You are right about the date - this is because they didn't change to the Gregorian Calender in 1582 (presumably because of the Great Schism of 1054).
    As regards the use of Christmas trees - as I said these are a Germanic remnant of Odinism. Seems highly unlikely that Eritreans or Greeks were affected by this, even if we are.

I've never been to Eritrea unfortunately, but I did spend a Christmas In Athens once and it was dead quiet. Notwithstanding the buses ran and the shops and bars opened, albeit at half cock as it were.