1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Christmas tree in Brixton, Dec 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 30, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Time for the annual 'where to get a Christmas tree' thread.

Confirmed places:

Fruit stall on corner of Elec Ave/Brixton Rd
    Hootananny
    Council's local business-busting one in Brockwell Park by Herne Hill entrance

Where else?

2. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Elaine the Flower Lady in HH if that's close enough? Rather give £ to her than the one in the corner of the park.

Edit - and Seasons (the grocers on Milkwood Road) is selling them outside the Half Moon.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    brixtonblade and editor like this.
  3. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Do the people at the Hootananny have any local connection? on the back of the Neals Yard people in the park, I'd like to make sure my tree buying is supporting a local business.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've been there under the current name for over a decade so I guess that gives them some 'local' kudos by now!

Slo-mo and shakespearegirl like this.
  5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

What's the issue with the one in the park

6. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Lambeth cashing in on park space (it's in the HH station corner and takes up entrance space), and takes away business from people and smaller businesses who are there all year round and not just for a month.

sealion and editor like this.
  7. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

The grocer was telling me there’s a meeting in “the pub” today to discuss Xmas tree-gate. Lots of people are upset. Lambeth got paid 8 grand for the site, apparently.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you hear any more please drop me a line (or ask them to get in touch with Buzz).

9. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

The front garden of the Hero of Switzerland (loughborough junction) is doing trees.

editor likes this.
  10. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Bloody Scots. Coming down here to sell organically-grown trees from sustainable forests while donating £11,000 annually to children's charities. It's hardly surprising that 'lots of people are upset'.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. aka

aka Brixton Hill

usually get mine from The Hoot. there is a bloke selling them in the front bit of the new flats on Brixton Hill (in front of the tyre place and brixton hill studios, you know the one that was the car lot and/or hand carwash place)

13. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I bought a small tree last year, at the top of Pope's Rd, for £15.00. This year the price is £20.00. Still, same sized tree costs £30.00 in Pimlico.

14. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

We got ours from the Hoot, the carwash blokes on Brixton Hill were about £10 more expensive for a similar sized tree

15. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Mine was 25% more expensive than last year. Same vendor. Same size. Or perhaps a little smaller as I managed to carry it home without stopping this year. :D

And they insisted on cash this year despite having a working card machine.

The new place might be unfair on them but they should take a few pointers such as card payments and displaying prices.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

£20 seems the minimum just about everywhere this year.

17. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Good to know. Thanks

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I know it’s not Brixton at all, but apparently IKEA is selling trees cheaply and they’ll give you a money off voucher to spend in store. A colleague of my better half bought a six footer for £25, and was given a £20 voucher. So he got a Xmas tree for £5 effectively. Obviously no good if one has no car and has to pay for delivery.

19. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I think they’re pretty much sold out.