Bus fare to cover an hours journey from September!

Discussion in 'transport' started by salem, May 10, 2016.

1. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

Someone's corrected the spelling in the thread title, so my post doesn't make sense any more.

That's not fare. :mad:

Badgers, salem, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

I've un-liked it to avoid looking foolish. Maybe you should ask the mods to be credited with that like?

Badgers likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Tbh not the first time your posts haven't made sense

Badgers and Greebo like this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

If that happens now, if you're using pay as you go, you are supposed to be given a 'transfer voucher' by the driver, and not need to beep your card on the second bus.

I suppose there will be potential arguments where you could usually get on your second bus within an hour and not be able to on this occasion because there's been a delay of some sort.

And transfer tickets were available on London trams (and to a lesser extent buses) from pre WW1 days until about 1950 with the level of technology used by this chap

[​IMG]

Celyn and Greebo like this.
  5. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

Thank you. It's a sauce of intense pride for me. :cool:

Mation, Pickman's model and Greebo like this.
  6. Black Halo

Black Halo Well-Known Member

AFAIK It's currently only for two journeys within an hour and by 2018 it will be unlimited bus trips within an hour.

7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I've known drivers refuse to issue transfer tickets before now.

8. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

first???

So he should hold off doing something that can be enacted almost immediately and without hitch, until he has resolved a problem that ppl have been trying to solve for decades, which requires enormous overhaul of the practices of private companies, and which will take a lot longer to manage. All the time aware he could do this easy thing to change lots of lower income ppl's lives - but not doing it, because he has to do the other thing FIRST...? Really?

Greebo likes this.
  9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

How will this affect bus journeys that take longer than one hour?

10. Pickman's model

obviously the ticket won't transfer in such circumstances

Badgers likes this.
  11. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

But nobody is going to get in the x26 to check my ticket and go "sorry man, your oyster ran out half an hour ago".

12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's "multiple tap-ins per hour" so you could ride for 55 minutes, get off, get on another bus and ride for as long as you like.

For a single bus journey >60m, nothing will be any different.

13. Pickman's model

hopefully not anyway

14. Sea Star

Sea Star Well-Known Member

15. Sea Star

Sea Star Well-Known Member

So you don't think making public transport work the way it's supposed to will transform poor people's lives in London. I'm sick of having to run a car and spending all that money just so I can get to all the hospital appointments I have to get to on time with threats of having my treatments stopped if I'm ever late. Obviously you hadn't thought that some people's experiences in London might be a bit different from yours. And outer boroughs always get neglected at the expense of inner London boroughs. Yes. I meant first. Really!

16. Pickman's model

i see he's putting more armed cops on the streets London given firearms police boost to protect city from terrorism

i'd say that being as firearms officers last shot a member of a paramilitary organisation back in the 1990s, when he was following their orders and surrendering, perhaps AuntiStella's suggestion he should prioritise adherence to bus timetables isn't so outlandish.

17. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

I think it's worth doing - I grew up in bexleyheath: I fully remember waiting an hour on many occasions... But if you can do two things to change ppl' lives for the better: one which is easy and quick, and one which will take bloody ages if it works at all, why would you wait til you'd done the second, before you did the quick easy one.

It's like, I might find walking tricky because I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes and because I have arthritis in my knees. Yes, if I had knee surgery it would help my arthritis, but I'd be stupid to wait until that was sorted before changing my shoes for a comfortable pair.

Badgers, salem, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I see this has finally been introduced today. A good idea for some, but has the potential to make me lazy..take as many buses as needs be to get as close to your destination as possible rather than get 2 buses and walk a bit. All in all, good news me thinks.

19. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

It was introduced last year, wasn't it? When, I'm not sure but my bus fares have reflected it for many months. What I'd read was going to come in this year was that two bus journeys would only be charged as one even with a (short) tube journey in between, which wasn't previously the case. I'd look it up but I've now only got enough sleepy brainpower to post.

Badgers likes this.
  20. salem

salem Well-Known Member

That's right, also means you could get 3+ busses - so long as you get on them within the hour. I was just about to say I can't see many situations where that would work but I'm just about to go to the dentist and it might just work for me getting to the dentist and then to work (2+2 short bus journeys) if the dentist is quick.

Mation and Badgers like this.
  21. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Last year was limited to 2 buses within an hour. This year is any number of buses within an hour. And yes it seems you’re right you can also interpose a tube journey:

Improved Hopper fare

Mation likes this.
  22. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

that's pretty cool.

23. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

London's one-hour 'bus hopper' ticket is now unlimited

So let me get this right.

At 10am I can get on a bus in Morden and travel one stop and get off. at 10.10am i can get a tube from Morden to central London arriving at 10.40am. Then find the nearest bus stop and hop on a bus for one stop. and I have got into town for £1.50 using the Tube?

Or am I missing something?

24. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

You still have to pay for the tube journey. The hopper only works on buses and trams.

25. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Ah I see now. Devious plan thwarted.

OzT, marty21 and colacubes like this.