Bus fare to cover an hours journey from September!

Discussion in 'transport' started by salem, May 10, 2016.

1. salem

salem Well-Known Member

From - Sadiq Khan Introduces One-Hour Bus Ticket

Bloody good news and well overdue. I presume it'll mean you just have to start the second journey within an hour. It's not a huge amount of time but will be great for those frustrating trips that require 2 buses to go a relatively short distance.

Nice easy win for Khan there I think.

krtek a houby, T & P, Badgers and 4 others like this.
  2. Sea Star

Sea Star epoxy on all your houses

hmmm.... I can't see that being much use in the outer boroughs. When I had to go for blood tests the other day I waited 50 minutes for a bus that's supposed to come every ten minutes.

Maybe his first task should be to make sure the timetables are followed by the private bus operators.

tim, Greebo and dessiato like this.
  3. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Yes, good news, particularly for the less well-off in London who are more likely to use buses.

I wonder how much it will cost in lost revenue?

4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Excellent news :)

hash tag likes this.
  5. Sea Star

I think we should pay for a journey and however many buses it takes, within a set time based on timetables, your Oyster card should allow you to change buses without extra charge. And if buses don;t come you get an extension or a refund. some incentive then for bus companies to follow time tables.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Greebo likes this.
  6. Crispy

Greebo and wtfftw like this.
  7. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Good stuff. It's long been a big anomaly in the system.

8. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Excellent.

I wonder if they have a way of excluding return journeys? If you pop to the shops by bus (20 mins), then do some shopping (20 mins), would you be able to get back home without paying the return fare?

9. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

A one-day bus travelcard for £3.00 would make more sense.

Greebo likes this.
  10. littlebabyjesus

While that's also a good idea, it wouldn't fix the anomaly. You'd still have some people paying £3 for one journey.

11. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

But they could go home again without paying extra.

12. littlebabyjesus

Yes. But not everyone does return journeys on the same day. It's a good idea, but doesn't fix the thing timed tickets fixes.

Greebo likes this.
  13. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Angry brown femme ^_^

this is great :)

14. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

The timed ticket thing is a lottery though as to whether you manage to get on the second bus within an hour. Why not have the £1.50 cover two bus rides?

tim and Greebo like this.
  15. Thimble Queen

yeah its unlimited for one hour right?

16. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

I think if you can't get the second bus within an hour, you're probably going on quite a long journey and can't feel too hard done-by in having to pay two fares. I think this is to fix the issue of having to pay two fares for quite short journeys.

17. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

A bus fair, yesterday:

[​IMG]

A380, EastEnder, Greebo and 2 others like this.
  18. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

It's good that he's picked this up - most of the noise (and action) on travel problems in London in recent years has been around commuter services and the tube, pandering to the better-heeled commuter coming in from the suburbs while the poorest that tend to take the bus haven't had as much attention. Also why Johnson's fare hikes were particularly regressive.

Presumably this will work for contactless cards as well as Oyster cards?

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  19. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

It better!
    i would previously have gone, "of course, contactless fares are the same as oyster" but then I was reading Video: Oyster Oddities - Are You Paying Too Much For Your Journey? earlier and because they're calculated at the end of the day it's not the same.

Greebo likes this.
  20. Sea Star

the 160 and the 162.

whatever incentives they have in place now they aren't working on my local routes.

21. Sea Star

Just had this in my inbox from the head of TFL

alarm bells ringing already! Remember it was Labour that privatised the underground before.

Greebo likes this.
  22. Crispy

Sea Star and Greebo like this.
  23. littlebabyjesus

Johnson got off very lightly for this. The basic lesson is always that under the tories the prices of things go up.

Greebo likes this.
  24. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Two consecutive bus rides could get you half way across London, whereas an arbitrary number of bus rides within one hour is still fairly limited. So I guess from a cost/mile/passenger p.o.v it's more economical for the operators/TFL.

Greebo likes this.
  25. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Surely you need to commence your last journey within the hour, not complete it, because you validate your oyster when getting on not when getting off.

So you could do an hour-long journey followed by a longer one.

26. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

This also lets you jump off your bus in a traffic jam, walk along the queue and then jump on another bus on the same route further along. I'd often do this in Leeds with my day rider ticket when everything was backed up on Wellington Street in the evening.

27. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Might be fun to work out how far you could get in one hour

28. Thimble Queen

i'm sure someone has already worked it out

cc Crispy :p

29. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

How will it work if first bus terminates early so you're delayed by measures taken to regulate the service

Greebo and Badgers like this.
  30. This will encourage people to hop on for just one or two stops, packing out the busses. All so Khan can whip up more business for his dad's mates. Cunt's been in the job less than a week and he's milking it already.