Bus etiquette

Discussion in 'transport' started by mod, Jul 10, 2019.

1. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

It's always puzzled me that we let old folks with their trolleys and fumbling for bus passes etc. on first, and mums/dads with buggies.

Obviously it takes them longer to board, and the buggies, trolleys then inevitably clog things up.

If they let me go first I'd be on, paid and out if their way in an upstairs seat before they've even got their money/pass/ticket out.

I still always let them on first though. Manners innit?

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It’s the same logic as advanced stop boxes at traffic lights. Putting the slowest traffic at the front of the queue.

Pickman's model, A380 and Badgers like this.
  3. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Yeah this really. There is a total scrum but within the scrum, it's all very civilised.
    People usually step aside to let people with pushchairs or older people get on first.

4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Buses are London in microcosm - discuss.

5. Mrs Miggins

Bus passengers represent human behaviour in general - discuss :)

colacubes, mojo pixy and Winot like this.
  6. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a bus queue in over a decade.

Even when I was commuting in Birmingham corporation street the scrum would bulge into the bus in a frenzy to wave a suspicious bus ticket (yeah it's an all day guv) at the driver and get on.

7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank King of the Rhodes

What if the other person says the same thing to you?

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  8. hash tag

hash tag member

Because I am of good height I am rarely able to sit on a bus seat with my legs straight out in front of me. I usually have to man spread to sit on a bus. This often deters people from sitting next to me. :)

9. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

I find my general demented demeanour has the same effect :thumbs:

A380 likes this.
  10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

surely that's what elbows are for.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

no, the reason we do this is so the bus doesn't drive off before they have a chance to shuffle their way onto it

altho from observation fewer and fewer people observe this

12. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Brum has got like London for all the problems mentioned more and more over the years. They've even changed the colour of buses to red to get that real London scrum effect when the bus comes.

At least though, because in Brum you still get off the bus at the front, you can get to thank the driver at the end of your journey. Unless they've been jamming their brakes or missed your stop of course.

A380 likes this.
  13. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

packing wisdom: big things first, squeeze small bits in the gaps ;)

14. chilango

Never have any of these issues on the 516 to Dungeon Ghyll.

15. chilango

Buses in Mexico City used to race each other. Underlit and sometimes with Ben Hur style spiked wheels.

littleseb and Pickman's model like this.
  16. chilango

In Khartoum one side of the bus was for women, the other for men. To request a stop you had to click your fingers at the driver.

littleseb and Pickman's model like this.
  17. chilango

In Malawi bus drivers would smoke fish on their radiator grills.

A380, littleseb and Pickman's model like this.
  18. chilango

In Zimbabwe your ticket included a take away from a Fried Chicken place to eat on board. The bus driver would pop in and pick them all up.

A380, Pickman's model and littleseb like this.
  19. chilango

In Zambia. Preachers would board the buses to do their schtick.

Pickman's model and littleseb like this.
  20. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

in Sana'a they wouldn't let me on the bus with my cello because they thought it was a grenade launcher.

Spymaster, Celyn and Pickman's model like this.
  21. Mrs Miggins

I told someone to get off the stairs this morning as I was trying to get down :thumbs:

A380, ash, Bahnhof Strasse and 4 others like this.
  22. Pickman's model

i can picture it now, a scene enlived by your free use of what bernard cornwell calls the efficacious word :cool:

A380 likes this.
  23. Mrs Miggins

I was acutually non-sweary whilst not exactly polite. I didn't say please or thank you - just "can you get off the stairs"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  24. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

A long time ago (~15 years now ffs) I got on a crowded 38 on my way home and the only seat without a person was one, upstairs, with a bag. Guy with headphones in ignored me when I asked him to move his bag.

I moved it. He leapt up and pinned me against a pole, effing and blinding at me with a fist raised - then realised he was being watched by a top deck full of people, sheepishly backed down. I sat next to him, when a space came up I moved to sit in it but when he got off the bus at Dalston he did fistbump me and say 'right mate'.

I don't believe it's any worse now tbh.

25. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

I've had a few bus preachers in hackney and Croydon

26. Pickman's model

i wouldn't move the bag but i do tap the shoulder. they tend not to ignore that.

mojo pixy and Spymaster like this.
  27. Pickman's model

is your cello still there?

28. Miss-Shelf

I hate bus queues
    Just huddle about, surge forward, push on, let more infirm or laden people ahead of you:thumbs:

Bus queues are for people who think life is fair and that rules help everyone
    That's why you get the bus queues on the crouch end side of finsbury park station but not on the hackney side . Same reason that queues form from Waterloo going toward the city (opposite IMAX) but not outside sainsbury's going south .

Queues take up a lot of street space

I know this is a bus thread but FFS the queues that have started in recent times on the jubilee line do my nut in. They take up loads of space on the platform and they seemed to start at canary wharf and spread outwards :mad:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  29. Pickman's model

on the hackney side they haven't designed queues in, so people naturally form a queue waiting for the w7, w3, 210 but on the other side the layout favours a scrummage for the 236, 153, 4, 19, 106

30. Miss-Shelf

I prefer to blame it on the people;) but point taken