1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning man 2015

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Boycey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Quite a few friends went and set up camp there this year, they had a blast from their comments. Just as hard as the Burn and a smattering of yanks saying its like the Burn was 15 years ago.

wiskey likes this.
  2. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

A tiny one at www.burningnest.co.uk

3. Sunray

At 400 people, it sounds like nothing, but these events are community based so 150 people is more than you can interact with and remember everybody's name in 4 days. 400 you do at least get to say hello to a lot of people and keep bumping into them.

moonsi til likes this.
  4. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

The 10 principles is what makes a "burning man style event". Seriously. If your plan appears to miss/ignore/fail to fully take into account what they mean to you existing in a desert for a week, then some rejigging of your plans may be advisable.

5. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

It didn't register as that much bigger! :eek:

6. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Has anyone here been to Nowhere? Been thinking about going for several years and would like to plan for next year properly but interested in first hand reports - seems like it was started by folks from here, possibly even south london

7. Sunray

I've been twice now. If you want to know more and live in London, come to the Burning Pub. Can meet potential camp mates etc.

sim667 likes this.
  8. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

i had a couple of mates who went to that this year and enjoyed themselves, although the more i heard about it the more it pissed me off. tickets supposedly cost up to £140, everyone had to buy one, crew, DJs, artists etc… and then was expected to work as site crew etc.
    don't get me wrong, i'm all up for volunteering, but i'll be fucked if i'm going to pay top whack commercial festival prices to do it.
    it doesn't cost much to rent a campsite, stick a couple of sound systems in it and bung some lights up. they're now asking for donations as they still went over budget due to them buying all their kit rather than hiring it. sounds like a great way to set themselves up with a nice little festival business without paying for it themselves.

muscovyduck and ddraig like this.
  9. Sunray

This is how the burning man and all burner events are run. *There is no production as such*
    This is why I tell people they are nothing like UK festivals. Different forces at work.

They are put on by ticket holders for ticket holders. I helped put up my camp, I help run my camp and I helped take down my camp. In the dust and the cold and the wind. Now I mention it, lets take a look at the burn, an image chosen at random, one of mine from 2014
    [​IMG]

Or perhaps this from 2015
    [​IMG]

Created and put there by ticket holders. BM org may of may not have given them an art grant of a percentage, this is where a substantial portion of the ticket money goes. The rest made up from camp fees or find raisers like parties.

Remember: The Burning Man is a Community Arts festival. This was true of Nest too. Nest also is mainly cabins or bunk houses.

But the bottom line is this, don't have to come if you don't want to.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Yeah, i know all about Burning Man.

I'm just not sure how Burning Nest are getting away with charging £140 for a weekend on a UK campsite with a couple of rigs and half a geodome.

And while I fully understand about the 'Theres no production as such' thing at Burner events someone seems to have forgotten to tell the Burning Nest lot as they're on their website begging for donations to pay for all the lights and decor they bought.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  11. Sunray

How many events have you been to?

The burning man charge 250 quid? All I directly see is the toilets.

I liked burning nest. They rented out a place more akin to pontins than a camp site, got to be more expensive.

Its more economic to buy lighting than rent it if you intend to use it a few times (nest is an annual thing) and it was a very nice set of lights.

12. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

I bet they are :D

It just seems to me that while Burning Man has a gifting thing going on, nothing for sale... Everyone brings something to the party etc Nest seems to be all about the money... Go on their facebook page and they're asking for money for everything... £30 and we'll feed you, if everyone gives £2 we can have a radio station, can we have £3K for the lights we bought etc etc on top of what seems like a very high ticket price in the first place.

13. Sunray

This is how the Burning Man community operates, lots of the statues are paid for this way at the Burn, I've paid a bit via kick starter. Got a bandana for my contribution for last years temple, this one
    The Temple of Grace - Burning Man 2014

14. Sunray

dp

And yes they burnt it.

15. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Winter is coming......

Australia would be such a cool place for Burning man!

16. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Bangface/Bloc and those kind of weekends are in potins, and £165..... you certainly don't have to build your own festival there :p

17. Sunray

There is Home - Burning Seed

18. Sunray

Yes but they run bars and make a profit on those? I refer you back to the base principals the burning man and regional burn are based.

All the booze at nest is gifted, this is why I asked if any of you had been to a burn event? Its not like UK festivals, do not use the framework of a UK Festival to frame your perception of a Burn Event.

sim667 likes this.
  19. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

we do a party along similar lines every summer, this year we rented a campsite with bunk houses, it came to about £1200 for the week, with all the other expenses, generators, diesel, waste & recycling, sound and lighting, van and tent hire and providing 2 meals a day for anyone in a fit state to eat it worked out that 100 people paying £45 would break even, a figure which if i'm honest i still think is too high. i'd like to be able to do it for considerably less, and yes, we do the gifted / free booze thing.

we didn't expect people to buy us a lighting rig, or a sound rig, we just did it because we wanted to. we have access to the kit, we have people who want to create decor, we want to have a party, we keep the costs down and it's all very manageable.

this is why i find it laughable that these people are charging 3 times what it costs us to do a very similar thing and are still begging for more cash while harping on about it being a 'gifted' event and not about the money.

nothing you have said has changed my opinion that the Burning Nest lot are milking the situation for their own benefit.

20. sim667

Im kind of of this opinion too, there's no need to buy equipment, when they could just hire me to do it for them :D

We've been trying to sort a party like that for years pesh..... really quite jealous.

21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Depends on what license they've got. If they're over the numbers for a TEN, then the costs go through the roof.

22. sim667

I guess it also depends on whether the cost of the ticket will drop to say £30 or something when they've paid their kit off.

I bet it won't.

23. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

400 i believe.
    one of my mates who was there says they spent a lot on fencing. not something we've ever bothered with. we tend to do our parties in the middle of nowhere and if any of the locals find it we just welcome em in and tap em up for a donation.

and yeah, if Nest dropped their ticket prices substantially having bought all the infrastructure then fair enough. won't hold my breath though.

24. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!