burning man 2015

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Boycey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Sounds like a hell of an experience Boycey :thumbs :

Boycey likes this.
  2. Boycey

Boycey juvenile rave slut

that's the tl;dr version :D

3. Boycey

so we made a 3m tall picnic bench in north london, flat packed it and shipped it to nevada, then danced on it for a week of dust storms.

[​IMG]

ETA:

this pic reminds me, "health and safety" or lack thereof. on entry you are told the first rule is "don't die". after that you're pretty much left to get on with it, at no point did anyone come to check out the structure to see that it wasn't dangerous or that suggest handrails or any of the kind of thing that would have happened in the UK. at the more extreme end of H&S flagrancy was the charnyville- a funfair of fireballs including LPG (i think) flamethrower shooting gallery and 3 storey tall fire tetris.

5t3IIa, wiskey, Rutita1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Burning Man is a unique and special place.

Bitterly cold and windy :eek:. Got caught in a white out, couldn't see 3ft and I was driving. Got out and a 50mph wind sand blasted me, it was actually insane and amazing in equal measure, happened on my way in.

Cold caught a lot of people out this year, I just managed to have enough stuff to keep warm (and look good obviously) , be better prepared next year.

5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

6. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Id be interested in hearing what your costs were like for the entire trip..... Im seriously considering it for 2017

jjuice likes this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It's the posts like this that make me want to go.

The idea of putting together a quite ludicrous soundsytem in a tank rather appeals :D

8. beesonthewhatnow

Also, this, if you're cool with sharing that sort of thing.

9. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

can i just put my name down for the first urb burning man crew? :D i can't guarantee not to pass out from heat exhaustion on the first day :hmm:

10. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Yeah, beesonthewhatnow is right, that's if you're happy to say.

11. Boycey

beesonthewhatnow and sim667 - costs to attend from the uk is in the region of 2 grand. 260 on the ticket, anywhere from 300 to 800 on camp fees* (that should sort a couple of meals a day, plus water, probably a load of booze and other bits). 600 return flight and the rest on other expenses either side (travel, hotel in reno etc).

*camp fees are the most variable expense, i paid over the odds due to inexperience. You can in theory bring everything you need in an RV or van and pitch up on the outskirts or ask politely if a camp have spare space for you. We had a few in our spot who turned out to be instrumental in us getting sorted. If you're getting space on someone else's placement it's probably to polite to help out and have at least enough supplies for yourselves.

I'd advise attending before thinking of running a camp/building an art car. For one thing it'll probably get you a fuck ton of local contacts which will make it much easier.

12. Sunray

It depends on how many times you've been. Your 1st is far and away your most expensive and easily your most trying. Next year will be my 4th and I think will probably be my cheapest and my most comfortable.

What people (me included) miss on their first few is not understanding you are actually part of a huge Burning Man community. This is now the reason I keep returning.

Boycey and sim667 like this.
  13. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I know one person who's never come home .... must be 5 years now .... left the UK with a job/fiancee/kid etc ... left BM without a bean ... last heard of in ??New Zealand!

I've got a pic of my mate (sent to me, I've never been) who can be a bit of an acid casualty completely decked out in glow sticks so that he didn't just wander off into the desert without someone noticing :D EL wire was invented for him!

I have never had much interest in going to BM, nothing I've heard has sold it to me ... but it's really nice to see you had a nice time :thumbs:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  14. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The outer diameter is about twice as far as the Glastonbury site is wide. in terms of area, the inhabited "horseshoe" is about twice the area of the Glastonbury site. If you take off crew camping, you could just about squeeze the Glasontbury site into the central clearing. Yeah it's big.

15. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

More about the weather and surviving the climate please? Sounds mad :thumbs:

16. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

As soon as I find some willing wingmen I'm so up for this :cool:

17. beesonthewhatnow

Fucking hell. I knew it was big, but not on that scale.

18. Crispy

[​IMG]

More like three times the area. Glastonbury is much much denser though. See all that campervan camping I excluded from the Galstonbury boundary?

Boycey, 5t3IIa and wiskey like this.
  19. beesonthewhatnow

The less dense thing appeals...

20. Crispy

As does the flatness

21. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

... but not the dust :/

... or the Americans :oops:

William of Walworth and ddraig like this.
  22. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

check out Beyond Black Rock if you're interested in seeing some great old footage and interviews…

it starts at the end of the 2003 burn and covers the next 18 months of the lives of various burners doing large and small projects for the 2004 burn. cool docco.

23. Sunray

Just in case anyone was interested in being a virgin burner I refer people to these principals on which the burning man is somewhat based. I also recommend attempting to meet people in the UK burning community. There is a very well attended Burning Pub on the third Thursday of the month. This Thursday is the post burn pub which will be packed. If your feeling like going next year, then now is the time to start thinking about it.

The 10 Principles of Burning Man | Burning Man

FYI: There are many other burns around the globe. Afrika burn is the second largest at 12000 people and getting some plaudits. You want middle of nowhere? Afrika burn will give you that x 2. Its in S Africa and on the horizon, its in late April. Google for some images.

Boycey likes this.
  24. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Oooh, now you're talking! I'd love to go to a festival in Africa...

25. beesonthewhatnow

2017. Maybe. Possibly. Or not. :D

26. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I wish you could have a Burning Man in the UK. I guess the desert setting is pretty fundamental. And you can't replicate some things.

27. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Nowhere might appeal. It's in Spain and has a similar vibe on a smaller scale. It's supposed to be great.
    Going Nowhere

spitfire and pesh like this.
  28. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Oh thank you :)

29. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Fuck that. I had one of them in me back garden the other week. Based on the same principles as well... albeit principle number 5 (radical self-expression) took the form of a heated discussion about joining the Liberal Democrats...

Whatever. Burning Man - (Wood Green) - happening sometime 6.1.0.2.

Virgins welcome around my place next weekend. Whatever.

:p :hmm: :thumbs:

Boycey and DaveCinzano like this.
  30. Sunray

The Burning Man was my 4th (and last for the year) Burn style event this year.