Burger Thread. Yes!

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Yetman, Aug 29, 2012.

1. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I think the more recent usage is almost a backlash against healthy eating drives by the govt, Jamie Oliver, the purveyors of organic food, etc. Anything I’ve seen that’s referred to as “dirty” appears to translate to any foodstuff overlaid with excessive sugar, salt and fat (which is always going to taste great ). Perhaps better terms might be “Guilty”, “Immoral”, “Shameful”, etc. :) - in fact anything but a term indicating insanitary practices. Would anyone buy a “filthy” or “diseased” burger?

trabuquera and Badgers like this.
  2. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I have a hankering for a burger now :facepalm: not had one (apart from McDonald's which doesn't count) for months which is most unlike me :eek:

Pickman's model and ruffneck23 like this.
  3. seeformiles

Give into it - go to Burger King now!

Badgers likes this.
  4. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Have really gone off BK :(

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Had a BK Whopper w cheese last week, lush, got all the proper salad, fits in the gob. Its the benchmark of burgers.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  6. TruXta

TruXta tired

As in, the lowest common denominator?

Badgers likes this.
  7. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

That's McDonald's surely?

For BK to be a common denominator they'd have to have some consistency. Which they don't. Done well Iove an XL Bacon Double Cheese, but I've all but given up on Burger King now.

Badgers likes this.
  8. UnderAnOpenSky

I've not either. Don't eat out that much and when we do, the other half isn't keen on the kind of place that does epic burgers.

I almost went to a local pub that does cheap and cheerful big plates of food on my tod tonight, but managed to resist.

Badgers likes this.
  9. TruXta

TruXta tired

There is an argument for McDs. Not much between the two imo.

Badgers likes this.
  10. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Olly Murs is a cock

Badgers likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Got this for 99p from a charity shop yesterday.

20180125_122117-1.jpg

Made a burger with it last night and was actually quite impressed with how the patties turned out.

Forgot to take a photo :facepalm: but have a patty left over for lunch so will try yo remember.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

Biggest issue I have making burgers at home is getting decent rolls. I've thought about baking some, but whilst my bread is getting alright, it's on the crusty side, that just won't work for burgers.

Be interested to see your results though. :cool:

Badgers likes this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I mentioned on the hotdog thread that getting decent rolls is an issue :mad:

Like my burger in a soft white bap toasted on the inside. Not brioche :mad: or ciabbata or such nonsense.

It seems supermarkets have a choice of crusty rolls, the cheap packs of Kingsmill etc or those precut crap ones.

Yesterday I got cheese topped baps from an independent bakery as they were the softer and best sized option on offer.

14. UnderAnOpenSky

Yup. Appropriately sized ones are a big issue. I could make two, that seems to miss the magic somewhat.

What kind of Mince do you use and are you a grill or fry type of person? I think it certainly needs a reasonable amount of fat or else it ends up to dry.

Badgers likes this.
  15. Chilli.s

The gourmet burger is always over filled and too crusty for my liking. Also any kind of raw burger meat is a big no no for me. This is why the Whopper w cheese is a benchmark, right price right ingredients right size. We are talking snack food barbecue here not chef's special.

Rosemary Jest and Badgers like this.
  16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Use a griddle pan for it. Occasionally oven cook but that is not ideal.

17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I also like a kebab shop / van burger. Nice size (wider than tall) and usually in a soft bap with (annoying seeds) for a fair price.

18. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

I'm off to get a burger from a place near me today which was set up because there was a lack of good burger places in town.
    They're good eggs who run it because all the left over stock goes to the community centre down the road.

I'm going to have this one - a King Harry
    double-patties.jpg
    Will post a proper pic when I have it. :cool:

19. UnderAnOpenSky

I think that's how "gourmet" burgers should go. If you want to scale it up, make it bigger rather then taller. I want to get my chops around it, not deconstruct the dam thing.

Chz and Badgers like this.
  20. Chilli.s

You'd have to have a gob the size of a grand piano lid to get that thing in. I think a burger should require 2 hands to eat but not need dissection on a plate and then shovelling with knife and fork. Should stand on its own and not require a stick.
    It does look tasty though!

Badgers and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  21. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

It just needs a squish down! :thumbs:

22. TruXta

TruXta tired

Those two pucks of meat won't be squished will they.

Badgers likes this.
  23. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

Well I'm certainly going to have fun having a go!

24. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

You need to try the Prince Albert next... :thumbs:

Does look good but.

Badgers likes this.
  25. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

Yep, the Whopper is the go to 'proper' fast food burger. Even the onions and tomatoes and that taste decent on them compared to Maccy Dees. More substantial as well, which means you don't need two. ;)

I am partial to a dirty burger from my local takeaway after I've been on the pop as well.

Chilli.s and Badgers like this.
  26. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Burger king is a better burger. The meat is just a bit to dry, though

27. Chilli.s

I'm gonna try that technique next time, that one in the picture does look almost unsquishable. Hope your meal is good.

Saffy and Badgers like this.
  28. seeformiles

I read an article about how burgers (esp. the gourmet variety) add too many ingredients. The theory was that the Pattie should just be meat with perhaps some slight seasoning but nothing more - with the garnishes bringing out the flavour of the meat. I was sceptical but made it as suggested with a garnish of plastic cheese slice, gherkin, red onion rings, tomato and a mix of ketchup and Dijon mustard. Utterly delicious

29. UnderAnOpenSky

You missed bacon.

Tbh I don't put much on a decent burger. Cheese & Bacon are fine. Don't mind a bit of salad, but on the side, not in the bun itself.

Badgers likes this.
  30. seeformiles

I have mixed finely chopped bacon (or pancetta) in with the minced beef pattie which serves as both seasoning and adding a bit more tasty fat to the party . I agree about too much salad as things can get soggy pretty quickly but if layered correctly to avoid the dampest bits (e.g. tomato) having direct contact with the bun, it can work pretty well.

Badgers likes this.