'Bullied' plant wilts as praised plant flourishes. Apparently.

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by editor, May 14, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

Plants have feelings too. :(

Miss-Shelf, Ax^ and Pickman's model like this.
  3. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

That plant that was bullied looked just like the plants in Tintin that the professor poured his yucky cola into :)

4. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Nice dark/watered soil in the pot on the right, and light/dry soil in the 'bullied' plant's pot.
    Clickbait shite.

NoXion and Pickman's model like this.
  5. PippinTook

PippinTook Some are born to sweet delight

I hope they reversed the plants afterwards and treated the bullied one better.

Miss-Shelf and farmerbarleymow like this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

It became something of a bully itself

7. PippinTook

Ah ... did it take all the fertiliser and stash it where the sun don't shine?

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  8. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

This is why I always says hello to plants - especially trees - to make them feel appreciated and content. :cool:

9. PippinTook

Perhaps it reacted to being bullied by putting up defence mechanisms to ensure it never happened again...
    Like a little electric fence around the pot rim.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Verbal abuse didn't seem to bother the stupid bastard weeds that plagued my dad's tomato plants.

NoXion, Signal 11, pogofish and 4 others like this.
  11. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

I warn my weeds I'm coming for them

Yossarian and PippinTook like this.
  12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I'm sure I've seen another similar thing to this where they froze water that has been "insulted" and it formed jagged crystals, but the water that was "complimented" grew nice shaped crytals...

All absolute bollocks, of course.

NoXion and Miss-Shelf like this.
  13. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

My wife has a massive pot with rosemary in it, I hate the fucking thing as it's in my way to the shed. I curse it every time I walk around it - sadly it's thriving.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  14. PippinTook

Weeds are the thugs of the plant world. They're impervious to bullying...

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Well, the Russians have been doing this sort of thing for decades. Does anyone recall Lyall Watson's 'Supernature'? So, fact from fantasy. It is entirely true that plants are sensitive to all sorts of environmental triggers (light, gravity, touch)...and there have been demonstrable and replicated studies which show seedlings which are stroked (around 30 strokes) do much better than those which are left alone. This is because they are responding to the touch - thigmatropism - and will direct cellular growth to thicken the stems. Wind, grazing animals will also do this. If you say 'nice plant- look at you in your lovely green life' as you do it, it will not have much effect...but the extra blast of carbon dioxide from your exhalation just might.
    Recent research has shown that plants are far from solitary organisms but exist in a network of interlinked soil micro-organisms (such as mycorrhizae)...trees can, for example, isolate an ailing limb by cutting off nutrient supply (leading to loss) or, can deliver nutrient packages to an ailing tree in the same affiliated group.
    In brief, the natural world is stranger and more complex than we might have initially imagined...but this can also offer up a template for all sorts of woo.

16. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

Further proof that vegetarians are murderers too. Take that Morrissey.

NoXion and farmerbarleymow like this.