Building v buying hifi speakers

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by moody, May 31, 2019.

1. Poi E

Poi E shameless

At least look at a sub/sat set-up to maximise flexibility with placement in venues, and DSP will be essential to deal with the random acoustics in the venues. Again, many pro amps have DSP built in...

2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

You need a very big budget to get into the realms of advertising an amazing system for playing tunes.

editor likes this.
  3. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Buy a pair of PA speakers, or buy them a set of headphones each.

Poi E likes this.
  4. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Or your could of course give me a shout :D

Our bass reflex system is lovely, and we can do quite small configs

moody and Poi E like this.
  5. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

got anything online I can look at?

6. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

Point to point soldered PA systems (rather than circuit board based designs) are certainly easier to trouble shoot and fix, in case of a malfunction.

Poi E likes this.
  7. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

Old tannoy prices are going through the roof , just look at the bay. Also given their age you will likely have to replace crossover parts and maybe refoam them also . So there is the potential for hidden costs unless you really know what you are looking at. I have a pair for home use but wouldn't put them on PA duty.

8. sim667

We're just about to re-address our pricing guide, but for a small venues we have Funktion 1 Bass reflex systems for hire.

So the subs we've got are BR118's - https://www.funktion-one.com/products/bass-reflex-range/(I'm pretty sure they're 118 and not the 115), and the tops are F1201's - Funktion-One | Products | F1201

We get a lot of compliments on the sound quality of this little system..... Maybe drop me a PM if its something that interests you and what requirements/times/dates etc.

9. Poi E

Poi E shameless

I've noticed this. I used to look at old large Tannoys on ebay 15 years ago and think, yeah, so cheap I'll have a shot. Never did and wish I had.

10. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Me too!

Poi E likes this.
  11. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

Their new range (super pricey!) has regenerated interest in the vintage ones and the prices have risen as a result. I bought a pair of HPD drivers 3 years ago for about £200 to make a pair from them . Nowadays they would fetch about £6-800 :eek:!

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Funktion One are great, but very pricey.

13. sim667

They are..... Thats why we hire them out.:)

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Aye, but the OP wants a permanent system for home as well!

15. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Prob best to buy a nice little second hand old hi fi set up for home, then hire in something suitable for doing events... unless you're doing events like every week it will be cheaper, and you'll be able to hire in something way better than you could buy for the money.

david mancuso was doing rammed all night parties every week. + he was probably loaded before anyway.

16. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Following on from previous post QSC have a new lighter range CP Series.

For under £1K for a pair it seems like a good deal. Funktion our definitely not what you're looking for moody.

pesh likes this.
  17. moody

I have my kef reference's for home.

Poi E likes this.
  18. moody

thinking maybe buying ready made (decent) cabinets and loading my own drivers in.

19. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Enviro and moody like this.
  20. moody

Enviro and Rutita1 like this.
  21. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

I know mate, I was thinking that you might be able to find something more local to you? :)

22. moody

there was a guy who i was mates with locally, he built his own high end speakers and sound system, really good, spent a lot on the drivers.... he then went and brought a vinyl lathe, moved to london and now runs a dub plate cutting service in peckham.

he was the only guy who could of helped

you can see his speakers in the studio, he built two sets.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Enviro likes this.
  23. moody