1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Carpets: crap/not crap

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by story, Jan 27, 2014.

1. story

story Changing the facts

So, Budget Carpets. That place under the arches opposite Argos, the one with the hilarious sign about Brixton Grass attached to some plastic grass matting. And the tiger rug with the "Do not feed the lion" sign. Them.

Cheap as chips, and crap. Or are they...?

Originally, I went in to find some vinyl but they had nothing I really liked. So I asked if their fitters could lay some vinyl for me if I bought it elsewhere. They told me it was up to the fitters, since they're independent. One happened to be there, so I asked, and he said, No, he only took bookings through the shop. I asked if the shop would book them for me, and they said No. No surprise there, I suppose, since I wasn't buying from them.

Off I went.

Decided in the end to get some vinyl for Budget Carpets and get it fitted by their independent fitters. Great. Bought and paid for it, booked a time. But all they could say was "Between 1:00 and 6:00" Okay. So I was in all that afternoon. At 3:30 I phoned to say "Any idea what time they may arrive?" No idea. Okay. Six o'clock, no show.

I phoned the next morning, and they said they'd find out what had happened and call me back. No call back within the hour, so I called again, to be told "Oh yeah, the fitter said they came to your house but no-one was in. They left a note." I protested that I had been in all afternoon, and there was no note. It ended with me saying "So you're saying that I'm lying...?" and "Are you proud of the service you provide??" and a re-booking for the fitters to come back three days later between 1:00 and 6:00. I asked if they could prioritise me, or provide me with a firm time, or give me the fitter's number, or put me to the top of the list. The answer to each of these was No.

And again they didn't turn up. I called every hour through that afternoon, very polite, and was "promised faithfully, on my word" that they would be with me before six. Well, I say they didn't turn up, actually they did, at 6:30, without the vinyl. Their booking schedule told them they were coming to "fix" (mend?) a vinyl floor. So of course I sent them away.

Irate phone call the following day, during which it was again somehow my fault, something to do with my not having been clear about wanting the vinyl fitted to the floor ( :confused::confused:), this despite the previous aborted booking being very clear, and the fact that I had bought and paid for the actual vinyl.

So I went into the shop today to get my money back, and ended up having a row because apparently, I have no cause for complaint, because I was getting exactly what I wanted, namely the refund :confused::confused::facepalm:. They could't seem to grasp that the reason I wanted the refund was because I had NOT received what I wanted. They did offer to re-book the job, but I somehow didn't feel confident in that offer, and declined.

So at the end, after he had said several times "I'm not talking to you anymore" and then given me another torrent of reasons why it wasn't their fault, it was the fitters, and it wasn't their fault either, because something I'd done wasn't exactly correct (but I was never able to discern just what this detail was), I said "This is a very poor service that you're offering to your customers". And he said "You are the only one who has ever had a problem with us. There has never been a problem before."

I find this really hard to believe. So if any Urbanites have bought floors/had floors fitted by these guys, has it all been sweetness and light? Am I really the only person in history who has had a problem with Budget Carpets?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this.

My neighbour used them about 2 years ago, very stressful. They didn't turn up 10am when they said they would but at 7:30 pm.

He went down to the shop a couple of times and had rows with them about no shows and they did not offer any apologies.

3. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I've used them twice to buy carpet and fit and they've come and fitted it on time and efficiently and in one case at v short notice. Ime they've been great.

4. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Have they got a branch in Peckham? Also in arches? If so, they were great. Did our living room, hall, stairs and landing and then fucked up the billing so it cost less than it should have.

No idea about the one in Brixton, sorry.

5. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I've used them once and they were ok - small lino job - cheap and ok - planned to use them again

6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

They did the same "we came and rang the door bell and called your phone so we left a note" thing with us. No messages or missed calls.

7. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

We got some carpet off them. They were late to fit it and had to get them to come back round to finish the job properly. They also left a load of small bits of wood and nails round here which was pretty annoying but the carpets are fine ok for what they cost.

8. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I used them once, they were cheap, helpful and came to fit it when they were meant to.

9. story

story Changing the facts

So they are not universally shit, but I am by no means the only person ever to have had any kind of problem with them. Well they were so comprehensively crap for me that I really can't see myself ever shopping there again, or ever suggesting that anyone else do so.

10. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

So, update - got done in the end. Arrangements for fitters to turn up were chaotic and unreliable. It was just luck someone happened to be home when they turned up the second time.

That said, the job has been done nicely - it looks good - and it was pretty cheap.

Personally, I'd prefer to pay a bit more and be sure I was going to get a more reliable service - but - I've found that paying a bit more is no guarantee of that. So overall - too chaotic for my liking but not off my list.

story likes this.
  11. multiple

multiple New Member

They are rubbish and they sell crap carpets. You should try Shitface Alfie's Threadbare Vintage Carpet Remnants they're in Crystal Place but they'll come to Brixton. They're probably the best in South London, they're are more expensive but generally you do get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
    elmpp likes this.
  12. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

A public-spirited and disinterested contribution to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
    Badgers and quimcunx like this.
  13. Miss hall

Miss hall Member

I have used this shop and there fitter on numerous occasions I haven't had any problems .

14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Good of you to sign up just to say so. :D

Greebo likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Slightly edited.

Greebo likes this.
  16. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy New Member

I always found them honest and reliable , a lot cheaper than the Big Boys !

17. keybored

keybored

I know it was an edit, but by God I laughed.

editor likes this.