BT 'OpenreaCh' threatening to 'close down my internet

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by campanula, Jul 4, 2018.

1. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Obvs, because I am a bit thick and gullible...and worse, my PC is ancient and runs off Vista (and is not, therefore, supported by anti viral stuff) I have been getting anxious that the numerous scam calls are actually going to have the power to 'shut down my internet'
    Have had 3 today - one just now, claiming to be from BT openreach...although I am struggling to believe BT do business by cold calling me from India.

I have already been scammed once...when my compiter went into a loop (some imaginary virus) but I had to pay £149 to some 'technician' to remotely do stuff.

Can I just ignore this. Please do not lecture me about my crap PC - I am old and poor.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Ignore them.

I've had calls from "Microsoft" regarding problems with my windows computer.

I don't have a windows computer.

Celyn, BigTom, S☼I and 2 others like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If people are ringing you up, tell them to fuck off. You've probably gone on some kind of list because you paid up once but there is no way some random shithead on a phone is going to know whether there is a problem with your PC or not.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

I got like a million calls of that ilk about a month ago. Just tell them you don't have the internet or a phone. Thanks, bye! :thumbs:

campanula and Pickman's model like this.
  6. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

campanula and Pickman's model like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

The advice given is correct; tell them to fuck off.

But not everyone is comfortable being that direct/confrontational so try this instead:
    • When they ring with whatever load of bullshit story they've concocted simply say "Hang on I'll fetch them" or similar - no need even to worry if they haven't asked for anyone
    • Put the phone down (don't hang up, just put the receiver down) I usually have the radio on so I put it next to that so they have something to keep them entertained
    • Carry on doing whatever you were before the silly sods rang you
    • After a while (ten mins? fifteen?) you might want to check if there's anyone still hanging on
    • If there is - brilliant! - just say "hang on" and put the phone down again
    After a while they'll bugger off. The advantage it that you've wasted their time more then they've wasted yours.

gentlegreen, Almor, MrSki and 9 others like this.
  9. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

It can!

Some "marketers" regard the TPS's pretty toothless approach to shutting down scammers as a risk worth taking and view their "do not call list" as amongst the best sources of new/inexperienced/gullible leads around.

And to echo the above, operators out of the pretty limited reach of the TPS - usually based in one country outside UK jurisdiction, hired via middlemen in another are quite untouchable and don't give a fuck.

The only people who can do something about it are the UK telecoms providers who make the whole thing financially viable by selling the scammers large "blocks" of overseas calltime for far less than any individual might pay. The will to deal with them is however somewhat weak. :mad:

campanula likes this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

campanula likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

These scam calls are basically the only ones I get on my land-line and I've taken to answering the phone "hackney council fraud, how can I help you?"

The number of scam calls I get has greatly decreased since.

Mrs Miggins, MickiQ, ddraig and 4 others like this.
  12. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I've stopped being rude to most cold callers but scammers are an excuse to practice my swearing.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  13. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

One of my dad's friends got scammed about a year ago (also a vista pc) and somehow managed to switch on disk encryption that needed a password to unlock. He told them to fuck off after he found out that it was a scan unfortunately this was after they had talked him into giving them access to his pc to encrypt the disk. He ended up losing all the stuff on his PC.

campanula likes this.
  14. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

reading a book atm where the protagonist whispers "I know where you live" to cold callers.

I'm taking this up

Just place the phone down as a_chap suggests campanula - I stick our phone in front of the TV and go back to it at the break/when the show finishes - they've always hung up

15. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Thank you all very much.
    Because my PC is so crapulous, I have been inclined to believe people when they tell me my IP (whatever that is) has been compromised...and get in a flap. Then I berate myself for being so witless and ignore it. Then I worry again, having done nothing to sort out my currently dodgy system (although I no longer get updates and stuff) and become convinced it is my fault for not dealing with things...and on and on.
    Tech stuff is honestly beyond me. Dunno why - I have worked in building and landscaping - think nowt of redoing a loft, lowering ceilings, taking walls out, roofing, plastering, even wiring and know plant science inside out...but computers, mobile phones and even videos turn me into a fucking imbecile.

I am really comfortable with stuff which requires dexterity and skill...even problem solving stuff like electronics...but anything which does not require a drill or screwdriver or other tool apart from brain and I am lost.

16. PaoloSanchez

The scam isn't really anything to do with Vista really. If these buggers manage to gain remote admin access to your pc they can mess it up even on newer PC's. Just don't answer anything like this in the future, hang up on them. My Dad gets these calls quite often now and if I'm there he passes the phone to me and I tell them to fuck off.

farmerbarleymow and campanula like this.
  17. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Ah thanks, Paolo - the worst thing was imagining all my photos of grand-daughter and gardens vanishing from hard drive (son bought me a toggle? to store them on since)...that I was actually absurdly grateful to pay £149 to get my PC working properly...even though it was more than the PC had cost in the first place (it was a £70 recon Dell).
    It is slowly dying and needs replacing but my anxiety has ramped up to ridiculous levels that I can barely manage a conversation with the offspring - none of whom fully appreciate mine and sweetheart's techlessness. I need to find a secondhand one as despite being useless, I do need access to the internet. Feeling horror at the prospect of having to look at specs and such...all of which is a blank mystery.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why don't you ask in the tech forum if anyone has a PC they can donate to you? If I'd heard about your predicament earlier I would given you the one I had, but I've already promised it to someone else. No one deserves to be using a Vista PC!

19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

you would be well advised to keep a backup - copy stuff (documents / pictures) to a memory stick / external hard drive or something. hard drives can fail.

campanula likes this.
  20. PaoloSanchez

If your progeny are tech savvy, can they not help you go get a new PC? Or even give you one as a birthday present?

They can also buy a Chromebook for you which are quite cheap, or a second hand PC with windows 7. Although Chromebooks are less prone to viruses, you still need to be careful and DO NOT LET ANYBODY that you don't know or trust get remote access to your PC or chromebook, none of them are entirely scamproof.

farmerbarleymow and campanula like this.
  21. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Ah bless. I despaired of my offspring since my eldest, who is competent, goes on forever about 'building' a PC which will 'only cost £300'. Now I have seen my son's PC...which has fans and pipes and cooling systems and add-ons and all sorts of other shit which takes up all his space, time and effort...so nope, not really wanting to go there. I avoid asking him questions too, as his Asperger's does not lend itself towards empathy for simpleton parents and usually entails long baffling statements where I understand around 2 words in 10.

Nevertheless, I have faith one will be along eventually (hopefully a swap for some work/plants/gardening...(got my teeth through such an arrangement with the dentist)..

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If your needs are fairly basic I can't recommend a Chromebook strongly enough. You could pick up a good 'un for around £150 s'hand or £200 new. And you won't have to worry about viruses or losing precious files.

chilango likes this.
  23. campanula

campanula plant a seed

OMG - didn't even know what a Chromebook was...but after reading about them, they sound just the ticket. I only use my PC to access forums, look up botany info, store pictures, basic invoice writing and word processing and emails. Don't play games or use sophisticated software like Reason so yep, a basic one but would prefer having a keyboard or at least being able to connect one to a separate device - hate touch screens and even struggle to send text (have not got my head around smart phones at all).
    Any particular recommendations?

24. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

although still worth having backup copy/ies in case the hard drive dies

25. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow cooking expert and general daft apeth

I have four separate backup devices - but then I'm paranoid.

26. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Beauty of a Chromebook is it's all saved, automatically (ish) in the cloud. No (well, a lot less) need to worry about drives dying on you.

27. PaoloSanchez

Still worth having a backup of all your important files and not have all your eggs in one basket. Your google account can also be hacked into or your password discovered and all your stuff deleted, or Google can disable your account and you have no access to your files. Having at least one "offline" copy is always wise.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    chilango and farmerbarleymow like this.
  28. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow cooking expert and general daft apeth

That's why I always carry two back up HDD and two USB sticks - the HDDs have full copies of my data, and the sticks have the essential stuff life correspondence, e-mail archives, etc.

PaoloSanchez likes this.
  29. PaoloSanchez

Yes indeed I have a similar arrangement of assorted HDD's and USB sticks although I should organise them a bit better and have them in different locations to my laptop (take my own advice, lol).

Soon enough we'll be able to back our stuff up on 128TB SD card...

You may soon store your entire media collection on one SD card

30. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

For all the peeps who recommend telling the person at the other end to "fuck off". Think about the office where they work. The will have a list of peeps to phone early morning & late at night just because they get a reaction.

Best off explaining you don't have said product & hopefully they will leave you alone. Wind them up (Especially overseas) and they will enjoy calling you all through the night.