Bros documentary on BBC Four

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Nivag, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anyone mention this, but it's fantastic!!
    It follows the lead up to their 2017 reunion gig held at the O2 arena.
    Think Spinal Tap..

It's currently on the BBC iPlayer, make some time to watch it even if you're not a fan of them.

Bros: After the Screaming Stops: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0001qy

2. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Kermode gave this a great review. Anyone know if there's a way of watching it outside UK?

3. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

You can watch iPlayer abroad with a decent VPN and I’m pretty sure there are torrents. I watched it after a friend raved about it on Facebook but didn’t think it was all that. There are a couple of hilarious cringe moments but not enough to keep my attention for the entire length.

girasol likes this.
  4. a_chap

a_chap Needs no introduction; a man who cries gravy

Currently watching this (taking a break right now) and - never having been a Bros fan - I have to say it's riveting viewing so far!

HoratioCuthbert and Nivag like this.
  5. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Some great lines, but I'm with Reno. Felt like the conflict was pretty staged to me.

BigTom, not-bono-ever and girasol like this.
  6. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

These two are awful. I hate to say it but the entire thing seemed staged

Ponyutd likes this.
  7. S☼I

S☼I fatter but also funnier than Vic Reeves

I went to see The Cure at Crystal Palace Bowl in 1990 in a Bros t-shirt and blue jeans. (Not DM shoes with Grolsch stoppers on, though.)

I think my pals thought I had a Bros shirt for ironic reasons but I had the album and quite liked them :oops:

8. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

It's AMAZING... Actually one of my favourite bits of tele of the last year!:cool:

I don't think it was staged by the duo, though the editors (and I'd imagine this message is entirely managed in the editing process) were clearly out to stitch them up. I had pre-warning of a lot of the humdinger (superstition!) quote but moments like walking on the plane moment had me howling at the TV :D

I actually questioned myself if they were ever successful? A respected amateur review on FB said they were failures (even of the time) though the Wembley numbers surely speak for themselves?

As such the scarcity at which I've (actually never!) heard WWIBF (an iconic/ubiquitous 80's song by any estimate?) on any radio scan/in store radio/any other time where you'd hear old 80's anthems...is pretty odd?

And gives weight to their claim the UK 'turned on them'. That was a number of interesting subplots (drummers inferiority complex, did they go broke? why (did they?) did people start hating them overnight)?

I started with a bit of respect for them at the start - the journey to America and grafting/thriving-ish is quite an achievement vs. just sitting back/discovering cocaine/living until the royalties ran out (even if the acting output is pretty naff, and the singing only obviously some budget Sinatra tribute thing)...So it was all pretty interesting when it instantly turned into a clear stitch up with the opening shot where they had a row.

The singer guy actually talks like he's doing an impression of/a spoof...But towards the end it then went all tender - actually the solemn duo song - where drummer said he'd stop the live show if this happened - gavce more credence to them being genuine (wallys) IMO. And then the finale where they just don't bloody leave the stage. You can imagine the whole venue emptying and they're still shouting out to the cleaners they love them!

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  9. S☼I

(((Ken)))

10. S☼I

Depends on how you define success, but a pure pop band having a run of singles that charted at 2, 2, 1, 4, 2, 2, 9, 10 and two top five albums seems to me a lot more successful than a whole load of X-Factor/Pop Idol acts.

marty21, wiskey, Ted Striker and 3 others like this.
  11. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

This is absolute comedy gold! Matt is so full of bullshit lines it's incredible.

Matt: that's the biggest problem right now. That you can't play conkers in England.

Luke: um I can live with it.

12. Mrs Miggins

The twin dynamic is quite interesting. Which one is the "better" twin. Constant jostling for position whilst also being terrified of upsetting the other. Psychological games going on. Games and tensions going back years.

13. S☼I

Just started it now

14. S☼I

Oh god Matt is Nigel Tufnel
    No self-awareness at all

"I see a man sweeping the road...he's a king to me...he's my king...cos I'm grateful I don't have to sweep the road."

:D:facepalm:

15. Ted Striker

:D:D:D

S☼I likes this.
  16. Ted Striker

Yup that was my memory (especially when people actually bought singles and you had to sell hundreds of thousands) - they were Take That of their day (albeit over a much shorter period).

So it makes it more surprising that I've not heard any of their records in 20+ years. Surely they were due some getting on some sympathy/tribute/kitcsh/guilty pleasure playlists? It really does feel like time forgot them.

Rosemary Jest and S☼I like this.
  17. S☼I

"Ep-ee-tome" :D

18. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I thought Luke was actually ok and he has a reasonably successful career as an action star in B-movies. Matt was an utter tool and rather dim. Luke also had the good sense to shave his head when he started to go bald. I’m not sure what that thing on Matt’s head was.

One thing where the documentary failed was that it only hinted at why they fell out quite late on. It appears Luke had fallen on hard times at some point and Matt had refused to help. Considering it’s all about them (sort of) making up, wouldn’t that have been worth exploring ?

19. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

It was interesting but not really anything spectacular.

20. Mrs Miggins

Latin for "abstract"

S☼I likes this.
  21. Mrs Miggins

Yep!

22. Mrs Miggins

Rome wasn't built in a day and fuck me is that true.
    And we don't have the time that Rome had.
    :D

23. S☼I

He talks as though he's dispensing great truths, shining pearls of wisdom

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  24. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Logan was the real talent wasn't he? Went on to be a notable songwriter and label manager and signed Pink? He was the Tony Mortimer of Bros.

25. Mrs Miggins

Hair transplant or wig for sure. Suspect transplant as he seems to have a lot of money.

Reno likes this.
  26. Mrs Miggins

Luke's self-consciously "cool" procession of t-shirts....

27. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

We had a dart

marty21, May Kasahara, YouSir and 5 others like this.
  28. S☼I

LUXURY

29. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

30. Mrs Miggins

OMG!!! The Kindle version is only £3.49. OMG!!! I'm so tempted.

fishfinger likes this.