1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Park Run (and other Brixton running stuff)

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Rushy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I've long thought this could do with a thread of its own. A week in which it has been cancelled probably isn't the most obvious time to start it but, like, hey... here it is!

Dulwich is a decent enough nearby alternative. Not as interesting as Brockwell because it is three very flat laps but also quite a bit faster (for everyone).

Badgers, Smick and brixtonblade like this.
  2. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Is Parkrun 5k? I'm currently close to finishing couch to 5k so might be ready to graduate to this soon :cool:

Badgers likes this.
  3. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Yup, 5k and friendly. Come down!

colacubes and Badgers like this.
  4. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Awesome. Yes it is.

5. brixtonblade

6. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Parkrun was my ultimate aim with c25k.

7. plurker

plurker tĂș no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Also one in Tooting, prob closer for those up Brixton Hill end

brixtonblade likes this.
  8. Smick

I did Dulwich this morning. There were 243 finished in total. I took it very easy. I just ended up the wrong side of 30 minutes. But that was 30 minutes exercise, instead of sitting on my lazy hole.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  9. iantldn

iantldn Member

Aiming to do the next park run though it's a little early for my usual Saturday wake up. Been running round Brockwell Park for a few weeks now, my 5k route has been from Brixton Hill around the park and back so be interesting to try the parkrun route instead. The hills were a killer the first time and they still leave me gasping for air but hoping it means when I do my next flat run I'll have iron lungs.

Greebo and DJWrongspeed like this.
  10. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Can anyone please pinpoint me to exactly where I need to go for the start of the Dulwich Park Run? I've seen the map, but this is just outside of 'my South London' comfort zone. I ended up cycling round and round between 8:45am - 9am last week, and then gave up :(

I'm good to the Burbage Road roundabout. Then what, please?

11. Smick

Take a right there and just past / opposite the Dulwich Picture Gallery, you come to the entrance to Dulwich Park. Go in there, cycle past the car barrier and take the first right, following the perimeter path past the tennis courts, and it is just there.

Google Maps

The briefing is at the park bench.

Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  12. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I know the feeling. The big hill in Brockwell is particularly punishing if you're new to running. It does get easier but then you get faster so it seems to stay hard !

On the park run it's the 2nd time around, when you're tired, that the hill needs some mental focus, it's all in the mind really.

It's good to do both Dulwich & Brockwell as they're very different runs.

Greebo and Smick like this.
  13. brixtonblade

Brockwell park run canceled this week because of the show. Come next week!

The hill kills me. Have been getting back to park run after 6 months out with a dodgy knee and all my leg muscles have disappeared.

Greebo likes this.
  14. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

It's the southern entrance to the park, in the middle of the path that runs along that side.

Dulwich is a nice PR for pacing it smoothly and having nice open paths to run along. Both Brockwell and Peckham suffer from narrower paths and a few bumps to climb (more than a bump in the case of Brockwell). I quite fancy a go at Burgess, the long final straight looks like a good one to aim to sprint down course | Burgess parkrun

15. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

I just go really slow on the hill, almost at a standstill. Still counts.

Greebo and Tricky Skills like this.
  16. Smick

The second coming of the Hill is all mental. I know it is, but I can't face it. From about the Lido, I'm dreading it and often find myself walking. Then hate myself for having done so. To be honest, I think my PBs have all been when I've walked on the Hill for the second time, but my most favourite runs, 65 in, have been those where I've not stopped running.

Greebo likes this.
  17. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Christ, the more I read about the hill doom the more I think I might try Dulwich first :D Although I do most of my running at the mo in Norwood Park which is hilly as fuck so I reckon I might be ok :hmm:

Greebo likes this.
  18. Smick

When I did the Parkrun first, I had it in mind that when we crossed the hill by the BMX track, it would be a right turn, and back round by the Water Lane entrance.

But let me tell you colacubes , when you run the whole Brockwell parkrun you have achieved something. With Dulwich you might as well have been on a treadmill.

Greebo and colacubes like this.
  19. Tricky Skills

Found the Dulwich run, btw. Ta for the heads up. A decent course, if a little... dull. Nice crowd of friendly folk though.

I did the first third in 6'10". I was convinced that I would beat my Brockwell PB of 21'32". Somehow ended up with an official race time of 21'52".

I'm up for trying Burgess Park next.

20. Smick

Brockwell is back next week, isn't it?

21. Tricky Skills

Yep :)

Smick likes this.
  22. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

They were trialling a new start last week. Fastest runners up front, slowest at back, to try to ease congestion on the starting straight. Seemed to work ok but there were fewer runners than normal so hard to tell.

It was a hot one!

23. brixtonblade

How does that work? Do they just ask people to self select? Are there markers for your expected finish time?

I always assumed people tried to position themselves at the start roughly in line with where they thought they'd finish. Except for buggies.

24. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Yep. Very informal and self select. Roughly 3 minute groups, without markers. Lots of people clearly weren't listening and wandered off to the start with first group. Buggies strictly last!

There were also one or two pacers, which seemed to go down well..

25. brixtonblade

Pacers are a good idea. Not easy on that course as it's uneven splits.

26. Smick

If they do it right and evenly. Big Desmond was doing 26 minute pacer. He ended up running a 23 minute pace, realising his error at 4km, then slowing down to about 7min/km for the last k.

27. brixtonblade

Nice... So quick up the hills and then a little jog in to the finish :)

28. Tricky Skills

The new starting trial did lead to a very long tail. I'm not sure if runners towards the back are as fussed about their personal timings as those towards the front, but there was a funnel effect. And it was a small field - under 200.

29. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Did this on saturday. Very well organised still and they make a big effort to start off when the track is clear of the public.

Times vary between 16:31 & 36:41 with a healthy 224 participants. The Crystal Palace one is also worth a go; more hilly than Brockwell but they even had 4 pacers.

brixtonblade likes this.
  30. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Active Member

averaging 400 at Tooting Common now - it's a 3-lapper so always someone to keep you company, or chase.

Down the end of New Park Road and wiggle a bit.