Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 26, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's some of the things you can't bring into the festival

– Folding Chairs, Stools, Tables
    – Shooting Sticks
    – Golf or Large Umbrellas
    – Flags, Banners, Poles, Sticks
    – Cool Boxes / Picnic Hampers
    – Luggage / Trolley Cases
    – Animals (except Assistance Dogs)
    – Recording Equipment
    – Alcohol (carried in any container)
    – Food
    – Bicycles, Scooter, Skateboards
    – Footballs, Golf Balls, Darts (or any Sports Equipment)
    – Tents/ Gazebos/ Sun Shelters
    – BBQ’s, Candles, Lanterns
    –– Air horns, Loud Hailers
    – Hi-vis Bibs, Jackets or Vests

No food or drink is allowed to be brought onto the site (including sealed bottles of water).

2. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Fuck it, if I’m not allowed my shooting stick, I’m staying home!

All joking aside, not being allowed any food or drink is ridiculous. The queues for food and drinks are already massive and this excludes so many local residents who can’t afford the really expensive options available on site

Gramsci and Tricky Skills like this.
  3. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

No cool boxes/picnic hampers? No food? No water? Fuck that. Big time.

Gramsci likes this.
  4. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

that's for the field day festival though. the similar, but not identical ones for Country Show are here:

http://lambethcountryshow.co.uk/about/

"To ensure that the Lambeth Country Show stays a safe family event, the following items are not permitted to be brought on site. Any person found in possession with any of these items will be asked to dispose of them on entry or they will be confiscated by a member of the security team. Possession of illegal items will be handed over to the police and dealt with accordingly.
    • Drugs inc. “Legal Highs” / Nitrous Oxide / Laughing Gas
    • Knives / Weapons
    • Alcohol
    • Drones / UAVs
    • Glass Bottles / Containers
    • BBQs, incl. Disposables
    • Air Horns / Smoke Canisters
    • Fireworks / Flares
    • Sparklers / Chinese Lanterns
    • Portable Laser Equipment
    • Flags / Poles
    • Tents / Gazebos
    • Large Stereo Systems"

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But you can bring water and food in. And that's a fucking huge difference.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's great that money is being raised but the cynic in me suggests that it's just a PR-boosting way to be seen to be raising money for the local community without actually affecting your profit margin in the slightest:

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I think they done this at the Arcadia thingy this weekend. The guestlist (anyone jammy enough to know people involved) was a paying guestlist to be donated to a charity. £25 each.

9. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Well-Known Member

editor and jimbarkanoodle like this.
  10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Popped into the 198 Gallery exhibition last night. Nothing really new on offer (the diagrams still referring to "1/3rd of the park" when it's 1/3rd of the useable park etc.). The two Field Day reps were well prepped.

There is now a complaints number and they will be living in 198 Gallery over the weekend as the community liaison point.

editor likes this.
  11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I just got a long letter informing me of all the disruption - which will begin on the 20th May ffs.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Drop in!

Advice drop-in: Field Day in Brockwell Park

13. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

snowy_again likes this.
  15. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

And then destroy some of the necessary revenue stream for the 1 o'clock club / early years setting next door...

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who cafes?! So long as Lambeth squeeze a few more $$$ out of the park! That nu Town Hall won't build itself, you know!

17. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Yes, but same council issued a contract to the one o'clock which required them to generate additional income - it's the usual left hand not talking to the right hand etc.

18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Its looking so beautiful the park, just went for a stroll once i found a way round the giant barriers and trucks and portacabins.. Rhododendrons and goslings and everything, seems extra-cruel to do this now. People inside the enclosure won't even be able to see the trees. :(

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lambeth. A Blairite riddle wrapped in a Progress Riddle.

20. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

The advert says it's not to be a cafe. It's probably too small to do cycle or skate rental like they do in Dulwich Park, so that leaves a small sugar shop or some other way a clever business can relieve parents of their money.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I was a bit shocked by the scale of that bloody fence when I saw it yesterday.

wurlycurly and editor like this.
  23. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

That fence is hideous - enough so to give Donald Trump ideas

Tricky Skills, wurlycurly and editor like this.
  24. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Wrapped in a senile syphilitic enigma.

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Or worse, a hard-on. :(

26. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I noticed that the ice cream van was parked outside the gates last week. Maybe they’ve revoked his pitch to clear the way for a small ice cream stand to open there.

I’m not keen on those vans so I’d probably welcome that.

27. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I agree, pumping fumes into childrens faces has always struck me as an odd idea.

28. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I think I read a plan somewhere for electric hook ups to be provided for the vans in Brockwell. Or I may possibly have imagined it.

29. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

They’re also very expensive, the hygiene can’t be as good as in fixed premises, and the guys working in them usually seem quite shifty.

30. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's fair to be bothered by the huge fence, but some of the posts on the Brockwell Tranquility page are hilarious....

Posting up pictures of a lorry on the A215 and saying 'Lorry blocking our Herne Hill roads' and another of a small child on a scooter riding along beside the festival fence and the comment 'had to answer some difficult questions from my child today'....

Some perspective please...