Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 26, 2012.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's so many holes in this ^^ post - and I don't have enough time this afternoon to answer... in short:

There aren't free locals tickets for field day, or Mighty Whatsit.
    friendofdorothy and I were chatting earlier that the small number of locals Sunfall tickets (which were advertised to the leafy bits of HH, and not to the estate I live on) weren't really free; and sold out in 20 minutes.
    Its not one weekend - the original plan was a whole chunk of a month when the part wouldn't be accessible
    LCS is free, and generally swept up in a few days after the final Sunday - but does cause some damage - not as much as 5 days of people herded together onto dancefloors.
    The section was the main thoroughfares of the park - the bits they weren't using where the longer grass meadows at the top

I'm all for festivals - I grew up on them, particularly the new cross / dew drop inn ones in the late 80s / 90s; BP has been used for some massive ones - but not with fences and higher ticket prices. FD is only 'cheap' if you buy tickets now before they announce the line up...

The ones proposed here (as lots of people have pointed out) are too large and too disruptive, and too badly managed.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe that's because it is a community event put on for the entire community, it is free to all, it welcomes people of all backgrounds and ages, puts on loads of locals acts, has something for everyone, and it isn't primarily there to make $$$$$$$ millions for the worlds biggest entertainments company.

Just a thought.

3. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

And because it’s not fenced in, and doesn’t have huge marquees it doesn’t take over the park for a month...

Gramsci, brixtonblade and editor like this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

This is a good post. When I put in my comment to Council on Lovebox and Field day it was on these grounds.

That these two events close off the park to large swathe of the community for large periods. So it an issue of inequality.

The posters who have had a go at you don't want to see this.

editor and wurlycurly like this.
  5. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

:confused:

Lovebox and FD each applied for 40,000 punters /day. FD have since offered to scale that back to ... 37,500. Both planned to occupy almost exactly the same area of the park. Field Day needs longer fenced set up and take down times.

So how, after thinking about it, is Lovebox a piss taking behemoth but Field Day is an essential lifestyle fun day out which everyone should be entitled to have on their doorstep without any objection?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Tropi and snowy_again like this.
  6. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to all the puke and piss. Not.

What about the huge hangar Field Day will built? I still find the hole 'consultation' process very bizarre.

7. Rushy

On top of the hill between the house and tennis courts apparently. Where sound will travel best. Until 11.30pm according to the licence application in today.

If I hear Lambeth say one more time that they have listened to local concerns...

Tricky Skills likes this.
  8. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

That hangar will keep the sound in and stop people complaining about the noise. Ive actually long bemoaned how shit London day festivals are- expensive tickets, 9pm finishes, scandalous drinks prices and dickhead crowds who stand around chatting all day rather than dancing, but most of all the really low sound levels due to restrictions, so much so you can barely hear the music. Apparently this hangar thing actually made a big difference with the sound levels, without pissing off local residents.

Not sure they will have it this year in Brockwell park anyway, i think it was used by Field Day because there was a different festival using it the weekend before- Cream's "Steelyard". that event this year is in Finsbury Park.

9. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

Lovebox will have a line-up of hip-hop/R&B/grime and a more diverse crowd. Field Day will have a line-up of indie/electronica and will be mostly attended by white middle class "hipsters".

I'm sure the difference in reaction to the two announcements had nothing to do with that...

10. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

They've announced it will be

hungry_squirrel likes this.
  11. Rushy

Still thinking about it?

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone noticed this?

13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It closes at dusk as always. Then the entrance to lido is open until 10.

14. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean, I don't think the line up has been released for either yet. I always thought that Field day has been a bit of a mash up of indie/rock and dance music, whereas Lovebox, started by Groove Armada, was mostly electronic but has in recent years, since being bought out, booked commercial hip hop/grime/RnB, but not massively so. I may be wrong,

Are you confusing Lovebox with 'Wireless'?

15. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

No

16. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

it's only noticeable because the evenings are getting lighter. i think the closing time goes back half an hour this weekend anyway.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey, Field Day sure is taking a hefty big chunk of the park

27655144_10156219730978593_1117057603362680227_n.jpg

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's the licence application

27541098_10213977016673988_8702017543030746133_n.jpg

19. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

Well I hope they got the adverts right, I checked the regulations, got to have a notice every 50 along any road frontage!!

(ii) in all cases, prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates
    where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises and in the case
    of a premises covering an area of more than 50 metres square, a further notice in
    the same form and subject to the same requirements every fifty metres along the
    external perimeter of the premises abutting any highway;

20. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Not a lot of the premises are abutting a highway tbh

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  21. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Whos co-ordinating the opposition to Field Day - is it all on Twatter or Faece Book ?

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Brockwell Tranquility on FB have been very vocal as have Friends of Brockwell Park (I think that's their name).

23. lordnoise

Are they still thinking of channeling 37,500 people out through the Water Lane gates ?

They're only 9ft 6 ins wide ...

madolesance likes this.
  24. ricbake

ricbake working out how

This may help - PhD Chapter 3 - Crowd Dynamics | Prof. Dr. G. Keith Still

We consider normal ingress packing density at Wembley Stadium as typical of a safe ingress. Gate C (Wembley) has 10 turnstiles and these have been measured at 660 people per hour per turnstile - in fact, they were the standards that set the Green Guide measure. The packing density in that area exceeds the limit of 4.0 people per square metre (Figure 34).

At this packing density (gate C) Wembley allows 660 people per hour per turnstile (10 turnstiles) therefore 6,600 people per hour flow through these densities in safety. It is clear that we have to define a safety limit of high density exposure with respect to time.

25. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Interesting article from the Brockwell Community Partners:

And another thing, or two

In short - LBL (via input from community partners) will potentially be getting a second large-ish HLF grant to make the park financially sustainable.

"...Once the landscape was completed there was a need to consider the future of Brockwell Hall . This same community was invited by Lambeth to become ‘the client’ and put together a plan for Brockwell Hall that would generate revenue to sustain both park and Hall. The park community, through the BPCP has done just that and developed a vision and a plan for Lambeth to submit to the HLF. Now, Lambeth officers are taking forward a bid for £3m from the lottery and £1.5 million from Lambeth capital funds, a total of £4.5m is on the horizon.

So this community has been involved in generating potentially £7.5m of new lottery money in the last 10 years. So that will be the same community who protest at the lorries and equipment that will destroy the new drains, paths, fences etc because the restoration was of a park not a motorway or a supermarket. There are no paths engineered for heavy vehicles, so far as we know. Paths are for light park vehicles and the thousands of walkers who are attracted to Brockwell Park for those restored features – the new, award-winning children’s playground, the water play area, the renovated ponds, the restored Victorian Walled Garden. As well as paths, the new flood works are also vulnerable as they are under some of the fields along with the restored Victorian drains."

It also addresses other themes on biodiversity, access to wildlife, community engagement etc. in more detail, but as Lambeth are driving their BP usage as a budget issue, the quoted bit is more immediately relevant.

Tropi and ricbake like this.
  26. lordnoise

I applaud our cash strapped council for trying to find new revenue streams and I love a good music festival but even just Field Day is a ridiculously oversized event for Brockwell Park.

I might support a number of smaller events (15 to 20 thousand ?) at weekends only (not Friday - rush hour madness!) with a Monday to Friday lead in time and 3 day tidy up. 10 days in total per event.

If Brockwells too small for multi-stage/zone events we do know from the simple stage and audience set up at the Country Show that something of that scale is sustainable and works. There are a number of sites within the park that could be boarded off for this scale of event in rotation so as not to put too much pressure on one area.

I'm practising giving up social media for Lent so I'd much appreciate updates on the licensing progress and any meetings/events I can attend or actions I can take to make sure Field Day and other events of its size don't happen.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    paolo likes this.
  27. ricbake

ricbake working out how

How big was the crowd at Sunfall where it took 4 or 5 hours queuing for some of them to get in?

28. lordnoise

Around 20k I think - the queuing was about not having enough points of entry and people checking tickets - apparently the queues for the bars were endless too.

29. ricbake

ricbake working out how

So how many more points of entry will Field Day have to avoid the same problem with nearly twice the number of people?

30. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Well-Known Member

Looking at the original plan for Brockwell, it looks like there are 2 entrances and 3 proposed exits.

map brockwell.jpg