1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Park news and chit chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 26, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

That's pretty fucking shit

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

editor and Maharani like this.
  5. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Beautiful pics ed

editor likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

Field Day all but confirmed for Finsbury Park.

Cream's Steelyard, whose stage Field Day used last year the following weekend, have just announced Finsbury Park the weekend before Field Day.

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Don't think so.

Field Day_resized.jpg

snowy_again likes this.
  12. Rushy

Just in case it was not obvious from the letter, Field Day is confirmed to be moving to Brockwell Park. And it sounds like a long term arrangement.

All I could think whilst sloshing through lawns turned to mud at Field Day last year was "I'm so glad this is not in my park".

13. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Is it? That letter says 'planning' - I've also asked them (via FB) if there's any other way of talking to them about it, as there's no contact details on the sheet attached, and I can't make the 20th.

14. Rushy

It reads as a done deal to me. Unless it has been deliberately drafted to sound like a done deal when it's not.

The letter is an invite to "review plans that have been put in place for the event."

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So that's Field Day just about definite, Lovebox very, very likely, plus - presumably - the same ones we had this year.

16. drachir

I don't think Sunfall is happening again next year at least? This year's was a huge fuck up, and they'd announced by this time last year.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

In Haringey/Islington they have been trying to curtail the annual Wireless festival, currently waiting for the outcome of the court case

Blog – The Friends of Finsbury Park

19. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

No sooner had I posted that than I heard that the court of appeal has kicked the challenge into the long grass (sorry!) and Haringey Council can run Wireless in Finsbury Park.

20. Rushy

Interesting...

21. drachir

That's the only place I can find it, Festicket sell ticket/hotel packages so could just be the case that they've just put that page up to capture emails just in case.

They'd started selling tickets by this point for last year's!

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I asked Field day for other ways to input or hear about their plans (as I can't make the meeting). Five days later no reply. The letters to my block were dumped in the hallway, and then thrown away by the cleaner as there's a 'no junk mail' policy.

24. Rushy

From the Brockwell Park Community Partners:

25. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I thought the council had agreed to the event?

26. Rushy

It turns out that the latter was true.

But having just sat through the consultation I think Lambeth made it fairly clear that it would be a shoe in. They skirted over big picture issues such as the fact that the whole area occupied by the Lambeth Country Show would be walled off to park users for the best part of three weeks and that Field Day want to cram the same 45,000 visitors into a much smaller space than normal; whilst assuring folk that they were listening to concerns and would be tough about nitty gritty such as recycling and hosing down people's streets after they had been used as toilets.

Jamie Akinola for Lambeth had clearly been studying Tony Blair for his presentation technique.

There was a bit of veiled suggestion that if locals did not agree to host Field Day, the country show might go.

It seems that the granting of the licence will come down to the impact of the single event and the cumulative effect of all the other events will not be a consideration.

27. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Wow... Didn't realise it was that big.

28. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Seems as if Victoria Park/Tower Hamlets have given all events the boot for summer 2018. Thats Field Day, Lovebox and Winterville that i know of all relocated to Lambeth. Not that i am complaining, it means if i want to go to one of these fun events, i can walk there and home again :thumbs:

29. Rushy

They have replaced Field Day with All Points East, a three day festival followed by a multi day community event and then three gigs on three separate days.

At the"consultation" Field Day organisers kept reminding the audience that they had been booted out by a large faceless American corporate, prepared to pay more money for the venue (and deliver a community event in the middle).

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus