Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

RubyToogood and I were reminiscing today poolside about the predecessors and I had a read of the old Brockwell Lido breakfast club threads and realised that this cafe issue has now caused me 11 years of angst. I'm not letting it go!!

Tricky Skills likes this.
  2. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

What are they charging these days for a simple cup of tea? The social circle I mix in after a swim still bring their small cups of coffee out to drink poolside. Coffee is over-priced everywhere, but a daily payment soon adds up.

Funnily enough, tucking into a 'smashed avo with seeds, herbs and pickled chilli on sourdough' isn't the first thing on my mind after a winter swim. Especially not at £6.50.

And what's with £2.25 for a biscuit?

I can buy six Lidl croissants for that :D

Gramsci and editor like this.
  3. gaijingirl

I don't know what they charge for anything because I always bring my commuter mug of tea and a packed lunch because they're never open to swimmers.

So the plus side is that I've saved a lot of money.

4. Tricky Skills

From the that other lot:

"My pal and I are in the company of a sausage dog and a poodle, both welcomed to sit with us on the outdoor terrace. I ask for an almond milk latte whilst my friend opts for a cucumber, apple and mint concoction as well as an iced, decaf, soya latte.

I turn around to take a look at our lovely art-deco oasis, sun-dappled in the morning light. Not sardine-packed with the South London public in all their under-sumcreamed glory, it’s a peaceful, relaxed, quieter morning."

I still prefer taking my own food and drink and eating poolside tbh.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

6. gaijingirl

they definitely aren't implementing the fines... :D they used to but not anymore.

7. gaijingirl

I know this because I've missed a few classes and where it used to stop you going through the barriers and make you go and explain yourself, they've stopped that from happening now. This has been the case for ages. The system didn't really work anyway.

... and in fact in only 1 of my classes does the teacher even take a register

8. shakespearegirl

Your attendance is meant to be triggered by your card swiping through the barriers.

I don’t believe they are fully implementing the fines, if they are they must be making money from it as loads of people still aren’t turning up when booked

9. shakespearegirl

To be honest I don’t think Fusion management know what’s going on at the Lido, they got caught out on quite a few things. Overall most problems seem to come down to terrible communication of their part

10. gaijingirl

yes exactly, that's my point - it is supposed to be triggered by your card swiping through the barriers and it used to be - hence if you didn't turn up you wouldn't be able to get through the next time you came - but they turned that off months ago. In conjunction with that they used to have the registers which they were taking religiously but now only one instructor (of my classes - so possibly others too) bothers. The instructors, in general, are not happy either - that's very plain to see.

eta - and yes communication is awful. :(

11. shakespearegirl

Ah sorry I didn’t understand that’s what you meant. I only go to Rachel’s classes as she always does the register as they are always overbooked with a wait list.

I agree the instructors aren’t happy, they take the brunt of the shit running by Fusion!

12. gaijingirl

yeah - I didn't explain it too well. :D

I gave up trying to get into Rachel's class ages ago. I used to go regularly for years and then they got sooooo popular I very rarely bother anymore.

13. shakespearegirl

For her weekend classes you have to book the minute the class opens or no chance! I forgot last Sunday (well was drunk) and 2 hours later I was 6th on the waiting list. 9.30 Saturday pilates fills in 15 minutes

gaijingirl likes this.
  14. gaijingirl

yeah exactly - it was the 9:30 Sat class I did for ages and ages and then it got like that and I just gave up in the end. I occasionally go to the 7am Weds one but I have to leave early in order to get to work on time and I find that a bit embarrassing.

15. shakespearegirl

Rachel doesn’t mind if you need to leave early, I wasn’t going on Weds and she asked why. When I explained I really needed to leave at 7.50 she said it was fine, just to park myself near the door and leave my mat when I left to avoid disruption. She really wants people to go to that class as lots of people cancel last minute and she’s worried they’ll can it.

I’ve mentioned the gate thing to a friend who sits on the BLU committee

16. gaijingirl

yeah she's always cool about it, it's just me that doesn't really like it.

shakespearegirl likes this.
  17. gaijingirl

actually now you say she's worried they'll can it, I'll make an effort to start going again then.

years ago - before I had my kids, I was on the BLU committee - things have changed a lot since then and I don't get involved anymore except to occasionally write emails to the management who mostly ignore me anyway. :D

18. shakespearegirl

I can tell just from attending one meeting that there’s a lot of politics involved!

gaijingirl likes this.
  19. Tricky Skills

Here's the Buzz report from the AGM.

Once again the self-serving Brockwell Swimmers 'group' failed in its attempt to get any members elected to the Committee.

20. gaijingirl

line dancing?

some good news there if it all happens.

21. brockwellswim

brockwellswim Member

Brockwell Swimmers will be heading off to the East Sussex Coast for our fifth Open Water adventure led again by experienced coach, Stephen Baker. We will be swimming the 2.2 miles between Birling Gap and Cuckmere Haven. High tide is at 8:17am and the direction of the swim will depend on the direction of the tide.

Wetsuits are optional but recommended as the water will be cold, between 13°C and 15°C, and we will be in the water for an hour or more. Cost to members will be £30 and we suggest booking early as places are limited. If you have a car and able to give others a lift please let us know.

More details on the web site www.brockwellswimmers.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. brockwellswim

brockwellswim Member

Pictures from Sunday's Brockwell Swimmers Seven Sisters Swim Adventure.

More information about the swimming club at brockwellswimmers.com.

New members always welcome

7Sisters_04.11.18_01.jpg 7Sisters_04.11.18_02.jpg 7Sisters_04.11.18_03.jpg 7Sisters_04.11.18_04.jpg 7Sisters_04.11.18_08.jpg 7Sisters_04.11.18_09.jpg

Gramsci and editor like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus