Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Plus to add: I haven't read the Libby Page book. I've heard good things about it. I fund it a little disturbing though that the plot looks at book-ish gyms and the closure of the lido. The mixing of fact and fiction isn't that helpful. Book-ish gyms are happening; the lido is most definitely not closing and is under no such threat! Fusion signed up for the 25 year lease in 2007.

2. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Just noticed this which looks pretty cool: BROCKWELL LIDO. You can watch the Shape of Water from a dingy on the pool. Not for me really but if it was Jaws I might be tempted :D

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who the fuck would want to watch a film stuck in the middle of a bloody swimming pool? And pay a shitload for the experience?

Are people really that bored and desperate to spend their money (it costs around £55 for the full 'experience') that they just can't enjoy a film normally?

4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

They did Jaws a few weeks ago - it was great (thought didn’t manage to nab a dingy) :)

Mr Retro likes this.
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The Shape of Water

You have to pay another £22.50 for backrest and blanket. Sorry not for me.

editor likes this.
  6. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

There's quite a bit of this stuff about; it heightens the senses. "Chills in the Chapel" screen horror films in a dramatically illuminated church. It's surprisingly effective. I guess it's easier to rationalise films as being fictional when you're in a safe space such as your living or a normal cinema.

Mr Retro likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's not even going to sound or look particularly good if you're watching it on an outdoor screen floating in a bloody dinghy. Great if you like aircraft and traffic ambient noise and ambient light though. And of course, you can enjoy that exclusive feeling when you're floating around in your expensive little hire boat.

8. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

We went to the Jaws screening last year, They were using a better projector and sound system than you’ll find in a lot of modern digital projection cinemas.
    It was a good laugh but I’d stay away from the dinghys, the waters going to be freezing cold and it’s not going to make getting to the bar or toilet any easier.

9. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Is Jaws every year? I saw it there year before last, I think. The screen and sound were great. My other half was ill so I treated myself to dinner on the cafe terrace, right in front the screen.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I was joking about Jaws. Cool they actually did it.:D:cool:

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. It's all about exclusivity these days. And money, of course.

34441726_458220117949728_8994511650765668352_n.jpg

£22 to sit on a fucking deck chair at night in an "Insta-friendly" environment.

12. Tricky Skills

It's a bit different to the legendary BBQ's put on by Paddy and Casey back in the day. The old school lido culture can be traced back to these and the friendships that developed. These are just about still holding together at the lido some twenty years later - despite the corporate image that Fusion likes to put across.

gaijingirl likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And even more different to this! Brixton 20 years ago: a squatted Brockwell Lido and an Exploding Cinema spectacular

Tricky Skills likes this.
  14. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I saw JAWS there a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I was *very* glad not to have gotten a dingy - the people in them very quickly did not look comfy and when they needed to go to the loo they had to paddle their way across the pool and scramble out in front of the entire audience. We were lucky to see it on a beautiful clear but warm evening with an amazing sunset, stars and moon.

Mr Retro, Winot and alcopop like this.
  15. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I remember those! In the days before health and safety - loads of drunk people in the pool.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  16. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Surprised that they're allowing alcohol poolside whilst there're people swimming - it's something that GLL / Fusion were very much against. Which means that the cost of the lifeguards on the evening event linked above is going to be high - at least 5 of them, for 4 hours after a normal day shift.

I'd recently noticed the shack had been selling cans of beer; which is useful to remember the next time a security guard tries to take booze off me again.

Pool's closed until Wednesday as they try and fix the ongoing water pressure thing... oh and they're advertising a general Lido manager job.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're full up today:

18. Tricky Skills

"The art deco Brockwell Lido in south London, meanwhile, could harness the heat in the adjacent river Effra. Extracting just a tenth of its energy would keep the pool – which dips to 2C in winter – warm all year round."

No thank you.

colacubes likes this.
  19. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I wouldn't say no!
    :oops:

20. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Why not? I’m sure they’re not planning to inject sewage fumes into the water. It’d be filtered and treated on the way.