1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

20170530_140529.jpg 20170530_140529.jpg Earlier this month I went to Portishead Lido. Some pretty good views from there.

Edie likes this.
  2. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to one of the lidos by the sea? They always look spectacular. Ovingdean maybe? Portsmouth I think.

I love lidos. I'd like to do a tour of lidos in much the same way that couple are touring railway stations. Christ this is like proof that I'm middle aged now.

3. gaijingirl

Well that one I just posted is by the sea - hence the views over the sea (you need to click on the thumbnails really to see the sea in the background - I've got some better pictures but they've also got me/kids in them so don't really want to post them up).

I've swum in a few sea pools like the one in Margate (which I visited on my anniversary with my husband last year).

[​IMG]

There used to be on in Dun Laoghaire which I'd swim in as a kid which is now derelict.

I'll do a lido tour with you. I love them too. In half term I managed a 3 lido week (Portishead, Brockwell, Serpentine). Two weeks ago was a lake (Shepperton) and a lido (Brockwell). Last week was a pond and 2 lidos (Hampstead Ladies Pond, Brockwell, Tooting). I've got a reservoir lined up for later this month and a river swim or two coming up too. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    not-bono-ever, Lizzy Mac and Edie like this.
  4. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Girl after my own heart.

gaijingirl likes this.
  5. Without wishing to piss on brockwell lido's chips, Charlton Lido is a delight and has WARM water. yes, WARM

6. gaijingirl

I swam there quite a lot over winter this year - suuuuch a long shallow end. I do like it, but in all honesty it doesn't really have the same character as Brockwell and the park beside is not a patch on Brockwell Park. Also in this weather the temperature in Brockwell is far too hot 25.2 degrees today - definitely wouldn't want it to be heated! As I recall, Charlton was heated to about the same temperature over winter (apart from when the boiler broke).

But I don't want to do it down - all lidos are a good thing imo and I enjoyed my swims there.

7. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Wtf do they do this...:mad:

Brockwell Lido forced to close after vandals trash poolside
    A popular lido has been forced to close as London basks in 26C heat.

Brockwell Lido in south London was targeted by vandals who threw items into the pool hours after events were held to mark its 80thanniversary.

The lido said it was shut because of a “poolside break-in” which damaged its alarm system.

Pictures from the site in Brockwell Park showed wooden benches and a gazebo in the water.

Historic London lido forced to close after vandals trash poolside

8. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Fucksake! :mad:

9. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

It's open again now.

dynamicbaddog and brixtonblade like this.
  10. gaijingirl

Having waited for it to open yesterday morning, I've gotten up for my pre-work swim this morning and it's happened again! Can't wait today. :( Paving torn up, lifeguards chair tossed into the water, the alarm system damaged again.

I can't believe it tbh. I'm wondering if it's someone with a grudge.

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Seems to have been fixed now - life guards are wandering around prepping for re-opening.

12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Still closed.

13. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

Yes, that was my thought yesterday - no theft (they've had the takings targeted on busy days before), not enough real damage to be mindless vandalism, & with enough savvy to damage the pool alarms meaning they have to delay opening until they're fixed - plus seemed oddly spiteful to target the day after the 80th anniversary.

All very strange, & then to happen again next day...

Lifeguards & Lido staff working really hard to keep everything going after a busy weekend for them.

gaijingirl likes this.
  14. ash

ash Inittogether

I've spent about an hour on the people for leisure or whatever website it is trying to find ticket prices for Tooting Lido. Can anyone let me know how much an afternoon ticket is for a 13 year old?
    It seems to be classified information??

15. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

There are prices on this page. Not sure how accurate they are though.
    Tooting Bec Lido

16. ash

ash Inittogether

Cheers that's more than I could find. I imagine it's quite recent.

xsunnysuex likes this.