1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

20170530_140529.jpg 20170530_140529.jpg Earlier this month I went to Portishead Lido. Some pretty good views from there.

Edie likes this.
  2. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to one of the lidos by the sea? They always look spectacular. Ovingdean maybe? Portsmouth I think.

I love lidos. I'd like to do a tour of lidos in much the same way that couple are touring railway stations. Christ this is like proof that I'm middle aged now.

3. gaijingirl

Well that one I just posted is by the sea - hence the views over the sea (you need to click on the thumbnails really to see the sea in the background - I've got some better pictures but they've also got me/kids in them so don't really want to post them up).

I've swum in a few sea pools like the one in Margate (which I visited on my anniversary with my husband last year).

[​IMG]

There used to be on in Dun Laoghaire which I'd swim in as a kid which is now derelict.

I'll do a lido tour with you. I love them too. In half term I managed a 3 lido week (Portishead, Brockwell, Serpentine). Two weeks ago was a lake (Shepperton) and a lido (Brockwell). Last week was a pond and 2 lidos (Hampstead Ladies Pond, Brockwell, Tooting). I've got a reservoir lined up for later this month and a river swim or two coming up too. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    not-bono-ever, Lizzy Mac and Edie like this.
  4. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Girl after my own heart.

gaijingirl likes this.
  5. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

Without wishing to piss on brockwell lido's chips, Charlton Lido is a delight and has WARM water. yes, WARM

6. gaijingirl

I swam there quite a lot over winter this year - suuuuch a long shallow end. I do like it, but in all honesty it doesn't really have the same character as Brockwell and the park beside is not a patch on Brockwell Park. Also in this weather the temperature in Brockwell is far too hot 25.2 degrees today - definitely wouldn't want it to be heated! As I recall, Charlton was heated to about the same temperature over winter (apart from when the boiler broke).

But I don't want to do it down - all lidos are a good thing imo and I enjoyed my swims there.