1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use last night as a benchmark - everyone was out drowning their sorrows. I went for a calm-down swim and overheard the following:

"But what will happen to all the delis?" :D

I've just come back now and it's busy with Windrush swimmers getting ready for tomorrow's Aquathlon.

Greebo and snowy_again like this.
  2. timothysutton1

timothysutton1 Brixton resident.

Water Polo – Brockwell Style

The 2016 Brockwell Water Polo season opened to an unusually chilly 16·2°C start on Tuesday 31st May. Big thanks to everyone who came and braved the low temperature. Also big thanks to our wonderful coach Jim who kept us so busy none of us seemed to notice how cold it was.

Our next session will be Tuesday 28th June. Book in advance from our online shop.

www.brockwellswimmers.com

Greebo likes this.
  3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

22C today. Perfect summer morning swim :cool:

4. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member

Greebo likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Busy....

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Mostly as it was closed due to an incident in the pool earlier today.

Changing room loos aren't working again today either.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey!

Greebo likes this.
  9. gaijingirl

I was there when that happened. It's the second time I've seen someone pulled out by a lifeguard this summer. Thank goodness for the lifeguards. It didn't stop proceedings for that long actually - the queues were long before and still long after.

eta - and the showers have been down for 2 days now which is a bit icky.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Greebo likes this.
  10. timothysutton1

timothysutton1 Brixton resident.

Went for a swim this morning and you can no longer see the bottom because the water is so cloudy. Quite revolting.

Bearing in mind that the filter system was built for twice the volume of water (the deep end used to be twice as deep) there really is no excuse.

This isn't happening at Tooting, and there pool is twice as big. Why have Fusion Management allowed this to happen?

This is the time the pool should look its best to try and encourage more swimmers to use it throughout the year,... and it looks its worst.

Such a wasted opportunity.

11. gaijingirl

Yes I agree. I was away for 2 weeks and on my return was disappointed to see how green the bottom has become. It has been cloudy the last few days but I assumed that was because of the volume of people in the pool. I'm off now that it's raining for a, hopefully much quieter, swim and if it's still cloudy that will be annoying. I hate not being able to see through the water when pool swimming as it's too easy to run into someone else. It's never fun getting a kick in the face or a broken digit.

There have been a lot of angry people over the non-functioning of the showers etc - especially the spa/gym users. The sorts of things I've heard new visitors say is ... "This place is a shambles". Such a shame really. Also the facilities on the dry side are really run down, given it's their flagship premises. Even when functioning, there are always quite a few showers out of action and they very often smell of urine.

I really do love the lido and there is a lot of good stuff about it, but it is annoying to see this kind of thing.

12. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Had my first swim in there in ages a week or so ago. It was turning then. Very Olympics 2016.

13. gaijingirl

Well part of the pool is now closed because the water is so cloudy it's too dangerous for the lifeguards to be able to do their jobs.

14. Rushy

Crikey. Just when it is needed the most too.

15. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Saw 4 people swimming before 9am on saturday morning :eek:

My hands turned to ice just running around the park.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. Rushy

Yikes. I checked yesterday and the water is just 3C according to Twitter.

18. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

And one swimmer not in a wetsuit... changing rooms have been refurbished

19. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sorry to hear that. We had hundreds of entries! My mate takes care of the comps so hopefully he'll make an announcement soon.

BoxRoom likes this.
  21. BoxRoom

BoxRoom Flip.

Will be well jealous of the winner, was hoping for this so I could commit to getting fit :D

22. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Big queues since opening this morning.

23. gaijingirl

I cycle down to swim before work daily - and the last few days the bike stands have all been full by 7am.

Despite membership, Brockwell will be too hot and crowded for us today with the littl'uns. We're Tooting bound.

24. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Greetings from Ilkley lido! No queues but busier than I've ever seen it.

Attached Files:

25. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

ooh, I've been planning to go there, maybe next weekend...

26. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

It's well worth it. Spectacular view of the moors. Plus a proper Art Deco caff that does chips and ice cream (no cards). Recommend.

RubyToogood, killer b and bimble like this.
  27. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

looks amazing. I want to come. Brockwell's nice but nothing like that, no horizons to gaze over.

Edie likes this.
  28. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I went to a lovely lido in Ingleton last summer - much smaller and less grand, but a heated pool so useable on days when it isn't super hot...

29. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

30. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

That looks nice, but not a patch on Ilkley for the views and size. Ilkley is unheated mind, so it's brisk. There's an indoor heated pool but they close that on hot days as it's the north.

tim likes this.