1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's a new menu for the Lido cafe. It's certainly not cheap.

1.jpg

2. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

Considering the high quality of ingredients - aged beef and Lemon Sole - I think the prices are pretty reasonable. Not a huge markup on what you would pay for the raw ingredients.

Compare for instance with the Big Mac Extra Value Meal at £4.69. The £11 Longhorn burger is 2.3x times more. For which you get superior quality ingredients, a much more agreeable environment, careful and imaginative preparation, and table service. Not such a bad deal, surely.

3. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

this is true but I am surprised that they are not offering less luxurious items like
    ( organic) beans on (wholemeal) toast for example to cater for those with less disposable income

Greebo and editor like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It is certainly very expensive for those on lower incomes. I guess there's less profit in offering affordable dishes.

Greebo likes this.
  5. cuppa tee

I am not sure what type of person goes to the Lido any more but it looks like they're catering to a select few
    and anyone who else will have to seek out an establishment like MaxShite or similar, are there no salads or felafel which take little preparation.
    ( btw quinoa burger with double cooked chips Is surely someones
    idea of a joke, I'd lol if I heard someone order it )

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Its certainly aligned itself to nu-Brixton and is a far cry from its more laid-back, community focussed roots.

Greebo likes this.
  7. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

The lido café isn't for pool users really. It's a restaurant with a nice view. Of me, doing lengths.

This is a long standing, indeed dry aged, beef.

8. cuppa tee

I just looked at the menu and they sell a 330ml bottle of IPA for an astounding £4.95
    that close to a £10 pint

9. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

What Ruby said - I have boycotted* it ever since it opened due to not catering for swimmers unless it's 100 degrees in the shade and the fact that it's £2 for the tiniest cup of tea in the world. Nowadays I bring a flask and snacks and long for the days of the lido breakfasts of toast and marmite by the pool with a good big cup of tea.

*have to own up to breaking the boycott last weekend for various non-swimming related reasons and I did indeed try the "quinoa falafel" which I suspect will be the same mix used to make the "quinoa burgers" and frankly I wouldn't bother if I were you. My salads were lovely though - albeit pricey.

Greebo likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's not a cafe any more. It's a 'hub', a 'tropical paradise' and an 'exotic oasis' with 'urban beach barbecues' and 'signature grills'. And there's cocktails of course. All to be supped while the less well -off swim by.

11. gaijingirl

I do love the lido, I'm there pretty much daily and in fact I should be there at 5:30am tomorrow morning (might rethink that one) but even I wouldn't call it an exotic oasis. :D

editor likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I used to love it back in the day when you could rock up with a few cans and have a really nice lazy afternoon.

Greebo likes this.
  13. gaijingirl

It's still a lovely place to spend a nice lazy afternoon and a great addition is the wood-fired sauna in the morning (when it's properly hot). :)

Greebo likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How much does it cost to get in these days? I'm guessing you can't bring your own cans in any more?

15. gaijingirl

I don't actually know as I have membership* - I think it's gone up quite a bit but it's cheaper in the mornings and evenings - I'll check. You technically can't bring in alcohol but I do see people smuggling it in.

eta - I think it's £5.95 unless you go before 10am when it's £3.10 or after 5pm when it's £3.30.

*btw - if you are a Lambeth employee you get discounted membership.

16. RubyToogood

Price list. Note free for over 60s before 10am, and under 5s.

Greebo likes this.
  17. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Um, that space used to be where whippersnappers was based - so was never part of Casey's lido. It's not replaced anything that sold food or drink. Whippersnappers moved into the other side of the lido building.

There's also their cafe inside the pool which sells cheaper and less brioche bun things over the summer months.

But like gaijingirl, a flask of tea is better than the Lido Cafe's, and you can still drink from cans if you're not messing around. I do miss the peanut butter on toast for a post morning swim of the older days. That and the fact that the lido cafe service is hit & miss. It's also SE24.

Greebo likes this.
  18. gaijingirl

It is very rarely open though and they're not keen on swimmers going in to the cafe from poolside. I wish there was a more reliable source of tea and snacks for swimmers. Although it's good that it forces me to be more organised and bring my own.

Greebo, editor and snowy_again like this.
  19. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Yup, I've not seen it open for morning swims at all.

20. gaijingirl

They won't open for morning swims - I don't think they ever have since they opened have they? They only do very busy, hot days - the sort where people queue to get in. They certainly were open more when they first opened but they've increasingly focused on their non-poolside customers imo. It annoys me because I distinctly remember campaigning for a provision for swimmers and there were a lot of promises of a service. Turned out to be lipservice I think. Technically we can go in to get drinks but in reality it doesn't work.

Greebo, editor and snowy_again like this.
  21. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The shack was there for a bit when it reopened wasn't it? But I remember even then it was overpriced.

Having said that, I've also just got membership - being able to nip in for 30 minutes without thinking about having to spend enough time there to justify the cost is great.

When is the sauna thing open?

I made the mistake last week of plonking myself down at the meadow end, having a swim and the walking all the way to the other sauna corner to find that it wasn't switched on. Walk of shame back from sauna corner!

22. gaijingirl

:D Till 10:30am. It's sometimes not very hot though, apparently the staff have to feed it with wood. When it is hot it's lovely - I am especially pleased with the stone-cold shower outside next to it. I also use the sauna in the gym a lot and there are only tepid showers there which is a shame.

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Ta!

What's with the locker etiquette in the gym changing rooms? I put a bag of clothes in one the other day, without a padlock. Came back to find someone had moved them to a different locker and put their stuff in mine and locked it behind them! Very strange...

24. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Similar has happened to me. It's all a bit territorial in there. Some like to use the same locker.

25. gaijingirl

dunno - that's never happened to me. I always bung it in and don't lock it either - but it's never been moved - maybe it's more a men's locker room thing?

There is quite a lot of dubious stuff going on in the sauna though - there's a bloke in there who shaves - in the actual sauna and whilst sitting on a chair next to the jacuzzi thing. Plus loads of oils, fruit, honey action going on. Tbh - I'm not massively bothered about the latter but I can't say I want to sit on top of some guy's beard droppings. :D I do enjoy it though - always get to hear some very interesting conversations.

Greebo and snowy_again like this.
  26. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Yep. That whole area is not for me.

27. RubyToogood

To be fair, they are fairly supportive of the winter swimmers, who have various arrangements with them.

Greebo and gaijingirl like this.
  28. gaijingirl

not much help to those of us who have to go to work early doors though.

Greebo likes this.
  29. Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight Well-Known Member

I've always found the food pricey and disappointing. Shame as the setting is lovely. It's the nearest I've got to the poo but I'm not built for cold water & so the only days I'd contemplate it are when it looks too hectic for my taste. Sauna sounds good tho. I walked past the indoor one and it looked v uninviting!

30. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's pretty warm at the moment! And surprisingly quiet last night, which makes me think the idea of reopening the peckham lido might be a bit flawed.

And I think you might have dropped an 'l' above?