1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

AFAIK there are for adults, and I'm fairly sure I've seen two or three people being taught in the same session, as well as individually. Ask at the reception desk?

2. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I don't personally use the lido but lots of friends do and many of them wear wetsuits. If you're worried about looking silly in one, there's no need as people often wear them.

The only thing to note there, is if I pitched up in a wetsuit, people might then assume I was training for a triathlon or something - my doggypaddle would then look odd to them

3. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

loads of lessons at the rec - all levels ... it's where the kids learn. All the times are on the website.

Greebo likes this.
  4. gaijingirl

It is much more full on than it used to be. I used to train for triathlon in a wetsuit there 10ish years ago and would be one of handful. I actually hate wearing wetsuits myself so I don't anymore even though it means I swim slower as a result. Nevertheless I always swam in a lane until recently. These days i'm tending to swim on the non-laned side which means I'm powering up and down (albeit not in a wetsuit so not really really speedy) in that area because it is quite oppressive as you say. It is a pita but otoh I'm glad that the lido is so popular. Usually by this point in the year I'd have had quite a few solo swims there (apart from the occasional duck) - it's only happened once this year (I had to fetch the lifeguards out of their little room), even on really cold, rainy days there's been at least one other person there and often many.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Pop Tart

Pop Tart tartiflette

How dare you! I anticipate looking quite dashing in a stretchy shorty onsie.

gaijingirl, SpamMisery and Greebo like this.
  6. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

Yep, toally agreed that the popularity is a good thing, a good swim there is such a treat, its just the practicalities ( i.e. other people!). City living innit. On Tues I was zig zagging non stop, wasn't v relaxing and when I turned up a few weeks ago shortly after 8 on a Sat morning it was v busy. Find that on a weekend later in the morning or afternoon is good or anytime when its raining. Best of all of course is sneaking of work early, then you get a quieter pool doubled in enjoyment value by knowing you should really be at work! ;-) Also been enjoying pushing the time in the year that carry on swimming, enjoyed the chill in early Dec and April last season..

gaijingirl and Greebo like this.
  7. Sister Midnight

Sister Midnight Well-Known Member

You might want to avoid the Friday evening class then - assuming it's still on - I think it was called Tantric Shaking or Tibetan Wobbling or something. I'd be on the way to Body Pump & see them vibrating away in the studio at the end of the pool, music, bells and incense going as I recall...
    Never quite got the nerve to join in - it's probably ace!

Aeryn likes this.
  8. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Was lovely this evening. Not too busy, fine temperature, sun lingering forever .......

9. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

I was enjoying my slow swim up and down the non-laned side before work this morning and a bird flew low over the water, not far in front of me. It had the brightest blue iridescent feathers underneath it's wings and body - really startling, like a big kingfisher, but bright blue across the whole of it's undercarriage. I was gawping at it and wondering if we had attracted a new breed of parrot to Brockwell Park when it flew off to the cafe...revealing itself to be a pigeon that had had the pool and sun reflected upwards from the water.

Cue cheesy aphorisms about the magic of the Lido....

10. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

:)
    Are you certain it wasn't a Jay? They have exactly that color plumage, are related to the kingfisher and similar size to a pigeon. Really beautiful and they are usually in pairs, bless em. I saw a pair last week in my garden.

Greebo likes this.
  11. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I think you're describing tits aren't you?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_tit

12. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Could be. I tried to get a discreet look but as soon as I was spotted they were gone in a flash.

vicarofsibley and Twattor like this.
  13. timothysutton1

timothysutton1 Brixton resident.

Brockwell Swimmers are having a day in the country this Sunday, 16th August. All welcome...

Having reviewed the book Wild Swimming Walks we thought it about time we tried one out. We have picked Walk number 16 from Shillingford toDidcot described as an easy 8.5 mile walk “with plenty of opportunities to swim in the River Thames, and optional visits to an Iron Age hill fort and a medieval abbey”.

[​IMG]

We’ll be meeting outside Paddington Station ticket office at 9:15am on Sunday 16th August to catch the 9:37am train to Reading and from there we take a bus to Shillingford. After the walk we catch the train from Didcot Station and should be back in London by 5pm.

You will need to bring walking gear, swimming costume, towels (2 swimming spots), picnic, lashings of ginger beer and hopefully some sunscreen .

Also, if you are interested in joining our party train ticket please contact us.

[​IMG]

(map and photo from WildThings Publishing)

Greebo likes this.
  14. timothysutton1

Anybody know of any evidence of a Swimming Club at Brockwell Lido?

There is photographic evidence of a diving competition held as part of the London Swimming Championships at Brockwell Park Lido in July 1961 (see Urban75 feature http://www.urban75.org/brixton/features/brockwell-lido.html) which suggests there was once a Swimming Club?

It would be great to find some documentary evidence, or even some old cups or medals?
    whitsun-bank-holiday-1960.jpg
    udspring2.jpg
    schoolgirls2.jpg
    Brockwell-lido-007.jpg
    Brockwell-lido-006.jpg

Greebo and snowy_again like this.
  15. timothysutton1

16. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I've only just seen this thread. I did adult lessons as part of a group there. Pretty cheap and did the trick. It's much more for beginners than improves.

Greebo likes this.
  17. timothysutton1

Greebo likes this.
  18. timothysutton1

[​IMG]

What a great day out for Brockwell Swimmers on our first excursion following the intrepid ladies of Hampstead Ponds from their book Wild Swimming Walks.

After meeting up at Paddington Ticket Office promptly at 9:15am on Sunday we all took the 9:37am train to Reading where we then caught the bus to Shillingford. On arrival we easily found the footpath to the Thames and started our journey deep into the Oxfordshire country side.

As time was pressing, we skipped the first of three possible swim spots and headed cross country to Wittenham Clumps and Iron Age Fort where the views to the horizon were spectacular.

Then down to Days Lock, with Pooh Sticks Bridge on the way, before our first dip in the Thames at a delicious 19·4°C… heaven.

Next stop was lunch next to the water’s edge before heading off to swim number two further upstream. Then we heading home, slightly foot weary, to Didcot and the train back to London.

A fabulous day out, and something we hope to repeat. More news later.

More pictures at www.brockwellswimmers.com

equationgirl and Greebo like this.
  19. timothysutton1

Ponds Life...

On Sunday 11th October Brockwell Swimmer took a trip to visit Hampstead Ponds and Parliament Hill Lido. We couldn’t have hoped for better weather and the Heath was busy with other people out for a stroll in the glorious sunshine.

First stop was Parliament Hill Lido, which was interesting to note that although the pool is the same size as Brockwell Lido, it only took one life guard to manage a fully open pool. Also the pool was very busy, despite its 14·2°C temperature. Fusion take note.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then it was onwards and upwards to the Mens and Womens ponds, passing the controversial damming work on the way that Westminster Council are currently doing on the Heath.

[​IMG]
    To our surprise we found the Mens pond to be warmer than Parliament Hill Lido at a balmy 15·1°C and the water, although murky, tasted amazingly clean. Also, no swans which was a relief.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then anti clockwise round the Heath, passing Kenwood House and Vale of Health, and back to Parliament Hill Lido. A great day out and one we hope to repeat in the New Year following another of the walks from the fabulous Wild Swimming Walksbook. Check your monthly newsletter for updates.

[​IMG]

20. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Have 'Brockwell Swimmers' been constituted yet, or is it still a one man operation by an individual with a personal vendetta against Brockwell Lido Users?

21. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member

Brockwell Swimmers have formally announced the formation of our new inclusive club for lovers of all things Lido.

Having organised several successful events at Brockwell Lido, we have now ratified our constitution, formed the committee, opened a bank account, and now look forward to planning more aquatic fun for 2016.

To register your FREE membership just click here.

[​IMG]
    Water Polo:
    In 2015 Brockwell Swimmers organised two Water Polo evening sessions which proved immensely popular. It turns out the Lido is ideally suited for the purpose with the right depth and width at the deep end.

Brockwell Swimmers will be meeting with Fusion Lifestyle (managers of the centre) to discuss Summer dates when the water will be warmer and the evenings longer.

[​IMG]
    Cold Water Invitation Gala:
    The Brockwell ColdWater Gala held back in February 2015 was a great success both for local swimmers and the other clubs who had been invited. It was also a great spectator event for the many visitors who came to cheer on the competing teams. It was wonderful to nally have an event that celebrated the positive nature of cold water swimming and hopefully encouraged more people to use the pool during the Winter.

Brockwell Swimmers will be meeting with Fusion Lifestyle and the Brockwell Lido User Group BLU to discuss a possible date of November 20th.

Outside Events:
    We will also be organising a number of events outside the Lido including:

[​IMG]
    Club Swims Entering teams for other swimming club such as the annual Winter and Summer races run by the South London Swimming Club atTooting Bec Lido.

[​IMG]
    Walk/Swims More walks and swims such as our successful Oxfordshire Thames walk held last August, as well as teaming up with the Facebook Swim/Walk group.

Book Readings We are hoping to invite more guest speakers to come visit, such as Caitlin Davies who came to read at the Lido Cafe from her fascinating book Downstream, a history of swimming in theThames.

[​IMG]
    Aims of the Club:
    As stated in the constitution, the aim of the club is to promote the sport of swimming in the local community. We believe this is best achieved through an open, democratic, accountable and independent club, as happens in many pools up and down the country… more Polo, less politics.

[​IMG]

22. Pop Tart

Pop Tart tartiflette

I have not been in the lido since last year. This weather his not helping. Is it warming up at all?

23. gaijingirl

It has cooled down over the last week or so from around 19 degrees to 15 degrees this morning. Personally I prefer it on the colder side myself but you'll find if you get in and get swimming (rather than just bobbing around) you'll soon warm up anyway. It's lovely.

Tricky Skills and Pop Tart like this.
  24. Pop Tart

Pop Tart tartiflette

15. Yikes!

25. gaijingirl

It's really not that cold - honestly.

26. Pop Tart

Pop Tart tartiflette

Yea. I'm sure. but I said before - I'm a cold water wuss! But I. will. do. it.
    (maybe next week :D)

Greebo likes this.
  27. gaijingirl

Good luck. Have a good swim. :)

Pop Tart likes this.
  28. Pop Tart

Pop Tart tartiflette

I'll report back...

gaijingirl likes this.
  29. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

It's interesting that I've managed to swim pretty much daily at the lido and not once hear mention of the Brockwell Swimmers group amongst my fellow swimmers.

Greebo, editor and Tricky Skills like this.
  30. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Brockwell Swimmers 'group' - that's pushing it a bit.

Greebo and RubyToogood like this.