Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 17, 2015.

1. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

2. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Back to the mug-shot

The Brockwell bit is easily the least OTT. The bit above contains some ùber Guardianese:

'Sometimes, I take words into the water. I run Swillowing workshops, where swimmers are given a Wind In The Willows persona to embody as they enter the water, afterwards recording their experiences as rats, moles and moorhens'

TopCat, brixtonblade and RubyToogood like this.
  3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I still can't book classes on the piece of shit that is the Lido app despite complaining three times.

snowy_again and editor like this.
  4. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member

5. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Hope they'll do some repairs over the winter. I've never seen it so busy in the early morning but I've also never seen the pool and poolside in such a bad state either.

6. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I queued 3 times to get it sorted only for it to break again within a few days. No one is bothering to book anymore - it's a free-for-all at the classes. The woman at reception was apologetic but didn't seem to think there was any resolution in sight. I expect like everything else it will take months and months to fix.

editor likes this.
  7. timothysutton1

timothysutton1 Brixton resident.

Following Friday's clean the pool is looking much better and the water is a lot clearer.

IMG_5226.jpg

8. gaijingirl

The water is clearer - the filters appear to have been turned on. However, there is a lot of rubbish on the pool floor which it really shouldn't be too hard to collect. I swam at Pells Pool at the weekend and the lifeguards there were constantly skimming the pool with nets for debris. I never see that at Brockwell.

Amongst this week's poolside debris was nitrous oxide canisters. Alongside the 2 pieces of underwire from a bra - this is my best rubbish find so far. Although I did dive down to investigate a strange creature at the bottom of the deep-end. I couldn't work out what it was but it turned out to be the stalks from a bunch of grapes which had become entwined with hair and plastic creating a weird urban sea-creature scuttling along the pool floor.

BusLanes, Smick, Biddlybee and 4 others like this.
  9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They struggle to even maintain life guards given the low wage they pay them.

My favourite brockwell lido find this summer was a clip bag of unidentifiable white powder in the deep end of lane 1.

shakespearegirl likes this.
  10. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member

11. gaijingirl

So in all fairness - yesterday the pool was looking remarkably clean and clear. The debris on the pool base seems to have been cleared up and the majority of the algae has been dealt with. I imagine that it helps that there has been a relatively quiet few weeks. I hope they can keep it clean.

In other news Beckenham Place Park is reopening tomorrow:

"We would like to say a big Thank You for all your support over the last month.

We can finally say that we will be Open tomorrow morning (18th August) from 7am to 6pm

All you need to do is go to the Purple Tent to enter. There is an entry fee to gain access to the area this will be £3 for adults and £2 for Children, under 3's go free.

Paddle Area - is still closed for the moment

Swimming - Will be running throughout the day split down in to 2 hour sessions;

7am to 9 am
    9:15 to 11:15
    11:30 to 13:30
    13:45 to 15:45
    16:00 to 18:00

With the paddle area being closed we will only be able to accept those 8 years + to go swimming. Due to safety re-evaluations everyone will be required to wear tow floats in the lake. Don't worry though as these will be provided in your entry fee, if you have one at home you are always welcome to bring that along as well.

Boat Hire - Will be running in the pontoon end of the lake all day, you can still hire boats from 2 years +. You will still need to go to the Purple tent to hire either canoe or paddle board, this is where you will be issued a wrist band which you show to our staff running boat hire.

All Sessions will have a 15 minute warning and will be cleared by then end of session time to allow staff to reset the area between sessions.

Pre-booked Swims - Those of you that opted for swim passes the duty manager on site will have a list, Please bring your original booking email with you as well.

Many Thanks"

12. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member

13. gaijingirl

This week I've seen staff members picking up litter!

Heading into one of my favourite times of the year at the lido. The water is gradually cooling down and numbers are dropping off - the skies are moody.

editor, snowy_again and RubyToogood like this.
  14. gaijingirl

On the other hand the app on my phone has broken again - 4th time now. I've called in but there only seem to be a handful of people who can fix it and they always seem to be on a break when I get there.

15. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member

16. brockwellswim

brockwellswim New Member