1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's proposed £1m crowdfunded David Bowie memorial - news and opinions

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 21, 2017.

1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Celyn and CH1 like this.
  2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

That like is for nostalgia rather than earth-shattering quality I have to say.

As a former Decca employee, can I draw your attention to these pieces of early Hi Tec marketing linked to Bowie's label at that time (1960s):
    Deram.jpg
    Deram stylus.jpg

Celyn, discobastard and snowy_again like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20 days left and it's still only reached 5% of its target (£45,252 raised of £990,000).

Aesthetic arguments aside, I think the £1m price tag is simply unjustifiable.

boohoo and Sirena like this.
  4. AuntiStella

AuntiStella Out of the loop

Personally I'd want something in Beckenham where he made the most significant impact in his early years, or even Bromley where he spent most of his childhood and some of his early adulthood.

Also, I don't like it. It's not really about Bowie, just a small part of his output.

innit, billythefish and boohoo like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Surely it's up to the people of Beckenham to get off their arses and propose something rather than endlessly complaining that the place of his birth is arranging something?
    Agreed. Bowie was always about change.

AuntiStella likes this.
  6. AuntiStella

AuntiStella Out of the loop

People in Beckenham are a bunch of conservative bastards who have little interest in Bowie I suspect. I'm not from Beckenham but as a Bowie fan I'd like to see something there. It just seems more fitting. Not that I'm going to make it happen. I don't have people skills. Can barely cope with getting out of bed at the moment.

I'm not sure the people of Beckenham are complaining, and I'm not from Beckenham. Nor am i complaining. Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers.

bimble and boohoo like this.
  7. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

If the Bowie Mural hadn't appeared in Brixton, would this idea of putting a tribute to him in Brixton have materialised?

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're probably right about the mural. It's not like the street had any connection with Bowie at all until that turned up.

I think people would certainly have still flocked to Brixton on the night he died though. I posted up details of my Albert gig and within three hours it had been covered by four national newspapers, and the Windrush Square which was announced later attracted more people. Most Bowie fans knew where he was born (although the mural provided an extra focus) and the easy transport and Brixton's fast-fading 'alternative' reputation made it the obvious place to gather.

9. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Most certainly not. But right opposite the tube station is a prime position which means tons of visitors and loads of tourists spending their money across the local economy. Which is a good thing in many ways for some people (including the council) and a bad thing for others.

But with 5% of the 'all or nothing' crowdfunding target reached so far with 20 of 30 days to go (£10k for a 20" steel replica?!), it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Unless of course Bowie's estate weighs in at the last minute, which (and I never knew the guy) doesn't seem likely.

As said earlier - if a 6 foot artefact was proposed for say £60k then it would be less oppressive, probably quite appealing, and might make its funding target. LESS IS MORE. Unlike this Ozymandaic proposal.

ETA: Well, maybe it would still have appeared. The point is about the opportunity it presents and the prime location.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    boohoo likes this.
  10. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I had a local artist rant at me that we have to stop this fascist insignia. I asked what he meant and he mentioned Bowie's nazi salute in the 70s and said this was a warped version of the SS insignia. i told him they were from two different Bowie eras but he was having none of it and that Aladdin Sane was just a proto-fascist. Maybe he has a point but I was feeling a bit exhausted by then.

11. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

I remember something similar on this board not that long ago - somebody quoted some quite shockingly fascist outburst from Bowie, but it was defended somehow. I can't remember what the defence of it was (coke or naivety or something), but I imagine if it had been Howard Jones or Ian Astbury rather than Bowie then they might not have been so well defended.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    twistedAM likes this.
  12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

That's an interesting interpretation of the relevant thread.

editor likes this.
  13. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Brixton icon

14. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

I couldn't find the comment to be honest, it doesn't seem to be in this thread (although it appears to have been resurrected above by our resident conversation-dodging activist). Where is it again? If my interpretation is wrong I shall happily recant it.

15. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

IIRC it was the "David Bowie R.I.P." thread.

16. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was during his massively drugged up period which he regretted almost instantly. I could go on and list the many reasons why only a fucking idiot would believe that Bowie was actually a real-life, full on fascist all his life, but then I'm sure there can't be people stupid enough to judge his entire career and personality on this one stupid, coke-addled outburst.

discobastard likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still stuck at 5% with just £46,055 raised.

19. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

That's the badger. My comment is merely an observation that Bowie gets away with it (in the context of TwistedAM's post), where others might make an ill judged remark, or purposefully use extremely distasteful imagery in their art and then be painted forever as 'bad'. People like to interpret what others say or portray according to their attitudes towards them. If a politician said that they would never be able to row back from it.

Just an observation, not a personal attack. It was a FUCKING stupid thing to say though.

20. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Related...........the Bowie mural is now protected under a clear perspex sheet.

21. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

I've used my fair share of drugs in my time but haven't come out with shit like that, to my knowledge anyway. Drugs unlock a lot of inhibitions obviously, and bring to the surface some pretty deep hidden shit. At some level of Bowies mind he did believe that shit. Was really disappointed when I read it.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I tend to judge someone on their life's work, and not a drug addled outburst after a serious drug addiction that took them to the very edge. If you had a camera following you around all your life I'd wager you've come out with some major shit when you're off your face too.

23. Reiabuzz

Really?

I'd become a fan of hitler and facism? I'm a big fan of Bowie, and other drug addled musicians but I don't recall many, or any, of them coming out with rubbish like that.

24. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I feel the same way about OJ Simpson. That one murder case shouldn't tarnish his incredible career achievements.

salem likes this.
  25. Reiabuzz

He's not exactly being ambiguous or enigmatic there is he. Pretty definitive.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

By Christ, you're a fucking dickhead.

27. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Can we avoid the personal insults. They are unnecessary.

Wookey, teuchter, Rushy and 1 other person like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. So why not take a look at his 'definitive' work and statements since? Or are you stuck in some kind of 1970s timewarp where nothing can be forgiven or forgotten, even after he made a clear and ambiguous apology?

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Difficult to come up with much else in the face of your pointless, attention seeking, stupid comments comparing words with murder. :facepalm:

30. Reiabuzz