1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's proposed £1m crowdfunded David Bowie memorial - news and opinions

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 21, 2017.

1. discobastard

discobastard Proof-Read by Spores

Generally speaking it looks quite oppressive and as somebody pointed out earlier it would block a lot of light.

Something 6 foot tall would do the same job pretty well without blotting the landscape.

Dan U likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Yeh it bears an unseemly resemblance to the lightning flash of the auld buf

Dan U likes this.
  3. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

I do hope they have got the sizing correct
    henge1.jpg

(eta - edited as, ironically, I got the size of the image wrong)

lang rabbie, treefrog, wiskey and 7 others like this.
  4. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

There seems to be support from 'Prince Albert' customers-

'A massive thank you to everyone who’s already helped us get this far. FIN London, Mike and everyone at Southbank Centre, Jo and Lawrence @ Lambeth Council, Helen Green, Mike Urban and everyone at the Prince Albert, Rob, Dave, Sus, Phil, Verve Display, Sandie @ The Duffy Archive, Total Blam Blam and Bill Z – and everyone who’s tweeted or posted, argued or listened, believed or encouraged!'

As a customer of the 'Prince Albert' I was never consulted about this and would never of agreed to this. Where do I complain?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're referring to the people they interviewed in the back garden during my Bowie charity night at the Albert (the ones featured in their promo video). I didn't actually know what they were recording it for - I thought they were just documenting the night.

madolesance likes this.
  6. madolesance

I personally wouldn't want to be associated with this 'Bowie' money making scheme. Glad I wasn't at the receiving end of their interviews that night. All that cash they are looking to raise could be used in a much better way.

7. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Not withstanding the fact that I do believe Brixton has good cause to claim Bowie as their own (as does Elephant and Castle to claim Charlie Chaplin), and that there is no chance its this happening in anywhere other than Brixton, I rather like the idea of something so huge and incongruous sticking out like a sore thumb on the post office roundabout, near the Odeon in beckenham. Because that's the point isn't it? Bowie stuck out like an alien in suburbia.

That sculpture fits in arty Brixton, but it would always look wild and weird in the midst of Middle England. Much more of a fitting tribute for what Bowie really was.

If it has to be in Brixton it should be close as possible to where he lived. Not like some chain store logo, in your face as you step out of the tube.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm not bothered by my name being on the site. Saves me £20 anyway :D

salem likes this.
  9. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

tbh if it doesn't piss at least some people off, it's not worth doing.

editor likes this.
  10. spanglechick

Or... A fifth plinth. Like the one in Trafalgar Square, offering an ever changing artistic memorial from local artists, performers etc...

Manter likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I still like the idea of it ejecting a laser guided mini-zigzag every week that went directly through Foxton's window.

ChrisD, Celyn and littlebabyjesus like this.
  12. littlebabyjesus

Just leave it on. Permanently.

editor likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Even better.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  14. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

How about a statue of a laughing gnome?

15. madolesance

I managed to save everything, as I don't support this money making scheme, but then again I have not allowed my name to used in any marketing material

blameless77 likes this.
  16. Purdie

Purdie there are no stars, only suns

Bit like this you mean?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Funny really as I remember it as being a lot smaller but maybe it just blends in better

fishfinger and Sirena like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just got a thank you for letting them film at my Bowie charity night. I'm really not bothered by my name being on the site and I doubt many people will even read that far.

bimble likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But firing zigzag missiles through Foxtons window every minute of the day,

ViolentPanda likes this.
  19. littlebabyjesus

I love the catford cat. :cool: It's a bit rubbish, but I kind of love it even more for that.

Purdie likes this.
  20. spanglechick

I bet it didn't cost £900k either.

Purdie likes this.
  21. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

The fundraising for the Bowie thing is not really taking off....

I wonder if they'll get to £100k.

22. Purdie

Purdie there are no stars, only suns

:D

23. Sirena

A friend suggested they should bring what remains of the Mutoid Waste Company back together and give them the commission, if there is to be a memorial.

They would make something a bit Mad Max but at least it would have artistic (rather than commercial) integrity and it would be a tenth of the cost. :thumbs:

paolo and pesh like this.
  24. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Yep, the fact that Bowie chose to be cremated with no service and have his ashes scattered at a secret location suggests that a massive £1 million memorial is the last thing he would have wanted - spending the money on something like a David Bowie Music Scholarship would probably be a much more fitting memorial.

Manter, clicker, editor and 8 others like this.
  25. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I don't dislike it as much as most seem to. Price is steep though.

26. ChrisD

ChrisD .

editor likes this.
  27. Sirena

I agree with all that.

Anyway, the crowdfunding effort seems to have stalled. Gone viral it hasn't...

28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Isn't Zac Monro from Brixton Green?

Probably they should plant this monster in the large empty space on the west side of Somerleyton Road which they aren't doing anything about.
    Then we might not have the long-promised social housing - but we should get some Chinese and Japanese tourists to enhance the Village side of Brixton.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think my problem with this is the complete lack of consultation. A few people have decided on their own what Brixton's going to get and then decided that it's going to be so outrageously expensive that it probably won't even reach its crowdfunded total.

A far better option would have been to first invite people to submit their own suggestions, whittled them down to maybe 8 candidates (via a panel of locals/Bowie fans/technical folks etc) and then priced them up and invited people to vote for the one they wanted.

I've no doubts about the integrity of the people behind this scheme but it's in the wrong place and it's wildly over expensive.
    You see, I don't think this is very 'Bowie' at all: it's far too literal. It's a one-look thing. There's no surprises. no twists or intrigue.

innit and bimble like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's why I gave away the £600 we made from the Bowie charity night to two local youth music charities.

salem, Yossarian and CH1 like this.