1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's proposed £1m crowdfunded David Bowie memorial - news and opinions

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 21, 2017.

1. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

phillm, AuntiStella, Eggby and 4 others like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Regardless of the aesthetics it does seem wildly out of scale for that narrow stretch, it overshadows the mural and blocks the traditional spot for the Christmas tree. And it's ludicrously expensive. Given that it has been spontaneously 'claimed' for Bowie by fans since his death, I would have preferred that small stub of of road to be renamed Bowie Square or something and some smaller scale interactive pieces installed.

aussw9 and happyshopper like this.
  3. cuppa tee

the aesthetics are rubbish too....the original Bowie flash was a bit of face painting....that looks like something Mussolini would approve of.....:(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Celyn and Sirena like this.
  4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I suspect the man himself would have shaken his head in disapproval at such proposal as this.

treefrog, Yossarian, Eggby and 2 others like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I liked the idea of spacey-educational-installations-artworks. Maybe some kind of telescope or screen or interactive installations to look at the stars to inspire rather than an oppressive zig-zag.

Eggby, clicker, billythefish and 4 others like this.
  6. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

7. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I think this is a great idea. It could be lit up/ glow and not get in anyone's way and just kind of float there.

shygirl, clicker, Angellic and 2 others like this.
  8. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

just need to make sure it gets maintained - general history with public art is it is just allowed to rot over the years. :(

9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's a daft idea.....

AuntiStella and boohoo like this.
  10. cuppa tee

That bleeding zigzag is clogging up my Facebook now
    ......people not from Brixton seem to like it......a lot.
    will probably get the funds and we'll have to live with it :(

bimble and DietCokeGirl like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've been out and about tonight and I wasn't getting much love for this Bowie memorial. Everyone was aghast at the £990,000 price tag.

12. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I'd imagine there's a cheaper way to get your name on the memorial.

13. cuppa tee

is what gold ?

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

upload_2017-2-22_12-20-44.png

So Lib Peck is all over this and the Ritzy is also showing the love.

Note: I'm going to spin the Bowie memorial chat off into a separate thread as it's clearly going to be an ongoing story for some time.

15. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I think it's a stupid looking thing.

In a couple of months, it'll be tagged to hell and in a couple of years, it'll start to rust and look really dilapidated

And, in the Summer evenings, it'll block the sunset light that pours down Tunstall Road and goes right down the tube mouth....

shygirl and bimble like this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's now had a fair bit of national press but the fund has only reached 3% of their target ( £29,765 raised of £990,000 target). I still can't get over the cost of this thing.

Dan U likes this.
  17. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I sincerely hope they don't get the funding to install this design.
    A smaller version suspended above street level (as someone suggested above) would work well and not cost anything like this obscene amount of money.

18. Sirena

Paint it on Morley's side wall above the painting of Bowie.

Should cost a cuple of hundred quid maximum.:thumbs:

19. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

This is a terrible idea. Bowie’s connection to Brixton is tenuous: yes, he was born there, but moved to Bromley when he six years old. And his time in Bromley was much more formative – so put the sculpture there. The sculpture’s disproportionate size intimidates, looming over the already congested streetscape. Adequate funds must be permanently ring-fenced to maintain what will inevitably be a major graffiti magnet. But worst of all, the sculpture possesses no artistic merit. It’s mind-numbingly banal and literal, lacking any spark of artistic creativity.

shygirl, dubh, not-bono-ever and 3 others like this.
  20. Sirena

Are people pledging or actually being debited the money?

This can't have planning permission so the whole thing is just totally speculative.

It's obviously a money-making scam of some sort (the floated cost shows that - unless the monument is to be made of a gold-titanium alloy).

Celyn likes this.
  21. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

This is a terrible idea. Bowie’s connection to Brixton is tenuous: yes, he was born there, but moved to Bromley when he six years old. And his time in Bromley was much more formative – so put the sculpture there. The sculpture’s disproportionate size intimidates, looming over the already congested streetscape. Adequate funds must be permanently ring-fenced to maintain what will inevitably be a major graffiti magnet. But worst of all, the sculpture possesses no artistic merit. It’s mind-numbingly banal and literal, lacking any spark of artistic creativity.

And I noticed this from a commenter on cbc.ca: "The costs for a utility scale wind turbine range from about $1.3 million to $2.2 million perMW of nameplate capacity installed. Most of the commercial-scale turbines installed todayare 2 MW in size and cost roughly $3-$4 million installed'. So this non-functional 9 meter piece of ironwork costs as much as full-scale wind turbine. The costs are completely out of whack.

Celyn and editor like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's more than 'tenuous.' Where you're born is a very important part of your identity. He went to primary school in the area. Bowie regularly came back to Brixton for inspiration when he was growing up, seeing bands in places like the Ram Jam Club. In 1983 he put on a big benefit for the Brixton Neighbourhood Association at the Hammersmith Odeon:
    In 1989 he returned to Brixton to open a new community centre.

He revisited in 1993:
    He played Brixton many times and also returned for a visit before he died. I'd say all that adds up to a meaningful connection with the area.

I've no doubt that other areas have a valid claim on Bowie - Berlin, Bromley, New York a farm up in Yorkshire for example - but it's a bit daft to suggest that the place he was born does't have a strong claim too.

23. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Well I think it looks like a gigantic lavatory

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lambeth have gushed their full support to the project.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:D

New Again: David Bowie

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like he wasn't so keen to remember Beckenham

27. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

All of this information is on the crowdfunder page. Including a cost breakdown and a list of people/organisations to whom the protagonists are offering their thanks (featuring some familiar names).

editor likes this.
  28. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

A £million in construction terms is roughly equivalent to 500sqm of good quality new build. Or eleven one bedroom flats.

29. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Probably become some kind of shrine for confused Alt Right folk as it looks a bit SS

30. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

£1Mill for that, Jesus.

Well if they don't reach their target, maybe they could get the guy who did the whacko statue for Fulham FC to do a Bowie one. A snip at £100k :D

[​IMG]

Nanker Phelge, snowy_again and Sirena like this.