1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's proposed £1m crowdfunded David Bowie memorial - news and opinions

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 21, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Eggby, wurlycurly and editor like this.
  3. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I love the idea of the memorial but I'm not sure it's the best location. As EE points out it's going to block the Xmas tree that's been there for years on end too - and £990k seems a fucking immense amount.

5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I love the idea as well and the design, but really a million quid? That seems hugely expensive..

ChrisD and editor like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You'd kind of expect the sculpture to do something for that kind of dosh.

7. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

I quite like it as a design, but it's not in any sort of really Bowie-associated spot, will 100% guaranteed get covered in tags and honestly I can think of about 990,000 better things to spend money on in Lambeth rather than this. Really don't like to be a memorial-pooper but this doesn't sit right with me.

clicker and Thimble Queen like this.
  8. shakespearegirl

Looking at their breakdown, they have 20% for VAT. If they are setting up a charity to maintain it, why not use the charity to build it and avoid nearly £200k worth of VAT..

Miss-Shelf and spanglechick like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I get your point, but the 'money could be spent elsewhere in Lambeth' argument doesn't really ring true because it will be raised by donations. Without the sculpture, there would be no money to spend elsewhere.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I took a quick peek and couldn't find a planning application for this huge sculpture....

spanglechick likes this.
  11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

You get a credit on the Crowdfunding page - so maybe use that as a chance to feedback to Binki etc? Just short of £1m for a piece of metal is a bit of a waste - a smaller sculpture for tourists and then other funds to support young local people from the area might achieve something more in terms of a bowie legacy?

DietCokeGirl and Thimble Queen like this.
  12. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

I understand the argument and that it would funded by donations - but I think even those donators would do better to give their heads a shake and send their £s to foodbanks - or educational trusts - or the Terrence Higgins - or whatever - instead of funding this particular monument. If you want to pay tribute to Bowie, fine, but maybe a very very expensive sculpture is not the way ... there are plenty of associated 'causes' (trans/gay acceptance and education, or arts funding, or coke rehab, or a thousand other things) which could do with some cash.

Wookey, Yossarian, wiskey and 4 others like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You really can't tell people what to spend their money on or try to shame them into spending it on something else. If they want to put their money towards this, that's their choice. For all you know they might already be donating generously to other charities.

I get your point though: a friend just asked me if I'd do a benefit gig for this. I declined as I'd rather give the money to smaller charities which I feel are more in line with what Bowie meant to me (I gave away the £600 profits from the recent Bowie charity night to two local music charities, Raw Material and School Ground Sounds.).

shygirl, dubh, Miss-Shelf and 2 others like this.
  14. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd prefer it if locals could pick it up and arrow it into Foxtons windows. Every week.

shygirl, Miss-Shelf and Celyn like this.
  16. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

now THAT's an artistic movement I could get behind.

Celyn and editor like this.
  17. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

I used to live right near there on brighton terrace. That thing will be covered in urine and other assorted fluids in absolutely no time.

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  18. EastEnder

I have a suggestion: The same sort of structure, in the same place, but smaller and high up - suspended between wires/poles/whatever, between the body shop side & cafe nero side. So it appears to sort of hover in midair. It'd be out of the way of taggers, etc, but still visually quite dramatic.

Could probably be done for way less than 990K as well! :eek:

shygirl, dubh, Miss-Shelf and 8 others like this.
  19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Should be in Beckenham anyway

20. EastEnder

In the form as presented I think you're right, it's way too big & seems rather gaudy. Definitely needs to be a bit more low key.

shygirl, Eggby and Rushy like this.
  21. billythefish

billythefish toad licker

Agreed. It should incorporate a urinal around the back.

wurlycurly and editor like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nothing stopping those mustard keen Beckenham Bowie fans crowdfunding their own sculpture.

ska invita and Dan U like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've got a fair way to go: £17,347 raised of £990,000 target, 28 days left

I guess that mahoosive size is to accommodate all the names of the people who donate £20.

*Oh wait: the names only go on the website.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The site says:

25. shakespearegirl

My point was if they are setting up a charity to maintain it, why don't they use the charity to build it and largely be VAT exempt, thus saving a large % of the budget

shygirl likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, I was agreeing with you, sorry!

shakespearegirl likes this.
  27. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Would that be VAT exempt though? Probably not as its a folly not a tool.

shakespearegirl likes this.
  28. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

You could buy 230,000 pints for that.

editor likes this.
  29. shakespearegirl

I wasn't sure if I was being clear!!

30. shakespearegirl

I'm sure many charities are follies rather than tools

snowy_again likes this.