1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's Club 414 threatened with closure

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Rushy, Jun 27, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a wonderful old school, inclusive, super friendly venue. Staff who work in local bars get in free. It would be utterly heartbreaking to see an independent venue that has stuck with Brixton through the tough times being turned into yet another cocktail bar for the well off.

blossie33 and sealion like this.
  2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

This will be carving a big piece of brixton's heart out....

editor likes this.
  3. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

A sodding Be At One. Insulting.

salem, aussw9, Gramsci and 1 other person like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It'll be the final straw for me.

5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

..and then what....leave....go somewhere else? Where?

I'm actually enjoying Leicester more than London right now....but I couldn't live there

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

aussw9 and Gramsci like this.
  7. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Have some more ire here. Just heard the council have approved change of use of one of the shops in Electric Ave to become a restaurant despite many residents and a councillor objecting:

17/03110/FUL | Change of use from Retail (Use Class A1) to Restaurant (Use Class A3) with installation of timber windows and door to front elevation. | 34-36 Electric Avenue London SW9 8JR

Bye bye Brixton. Hello Clapham High St...

Gramsci likes this.
  8. Gleena

Gleena Active Member

Has anyone contacted the Music Venue Trust for help? They have been instrumental in campaigning for independent venues to keep their premises. They have emergency response information on the website. I don't know the owners, but if someone does maybe they can get in touch?

Music Venue Trust

Or Twitter: @musicvenuetrust

twistedAM likes this.
  9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

That's really awful news, I've been to the 414 many times in the past and I know how popular it still is with the techno and trance crowd, it's a great little venue with a friendly atmosphere, unique really.
    It makes me very angry that it can be pushed aside for some cocktail bar :mad: - there are already enough of them in London, for people that want that sort of thing.
    Presumably it's all about £££££ as usual.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  10. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

What a load of fucking wank

Buzz article is getting a lot of shares on Facebook, for all the good it will probably do.

Sad!

11. DietCokeGirl

I think it's important to also share details on how to object otherwise peple will assume it's a done deal.

Dan U and sealion like this.
  12. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Yeah agreed. Was being a bit fatalistic I admit. Have shared

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  13. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

This town is becoming like a ghost town. All the clubs being shut down.

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci and Cold Harbour like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's very far from being a done deal - but please lodge an objection!
    Brixton's Club 414 threatened with closure

Gramsci and Dan U like this.
  16. DietCokeGirl

editor likes this.
  17. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Reading up on the cocktail bar company that wants to replace long-standing 414.
    Be At One brand make big deal about how they aren't some anonymous brand but want to be seen as a "local". Yet they want to kick out long-standing "local" to get into Brixton. Reading up on them and the use PR advice when they open a new bar. This attempt to move to Brixton isn't in line with the brand identity that they are portraying in interviews. Perhaps Locke and his chums don't give a shit. Interviews in the trade are PR bollox.

http://pubandbar.com/news/2017-03-20-hail-to-the-bartender

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  18. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Objection lodged.

A lot more objections have gone in. Some using the template letter. Interesting to read the objections. Shows the strength of feeling.

This is clear cut case of gentrification. Pushing out long-standing local business for high end cocktail bar. It's sickening to see what's happening to Brixton.

stockwelljonny likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

As usual you'll have to wait until the Council re-opens on Monday morning (unless someone has the pdf to upload to help us out.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

its unavailable for viewing (again / for me) .
    would like to send an objection too.

24. DietCokeGirl

Me too.

25. laughalot

laughalot Well-Known Member

Please go to the 'Lambeth Planning Database Site' type in the clubs address. The letter is in 'Documents'.
    Objections can be made from here too should you wish.
    We thank you for your interest with the ongoing situation we are experiencing.

26. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

the letter from the owners of the 414 club is really thorough and sets out clear reasons for why the application should be rejected. However, so many of the objections on the site won't be considered by Lambeth Planning as they don't contain any planning based objections. Objections have to be based on planning and policy grounds.

27. Rushy

28. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

If you go to the planning database and put in the postcode (SW9 8LF), the letter from 414 is under the documents tab

29. Rushy

Ah. Dodgy link. Ta.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus