1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's Club 414 threatened with closure

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Rushy, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

2. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Fucks sake.

Proper institution that place, predating pretty much everyone on this board except the Brixton lifers.

Should imagine there will be a big outpouring in the techno/hard dance/trance community past and present in London and further a field :(

It predates even the rave scene based on a conversation I once had with T.

Favelado, Eggby, marty21 and 6 others like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apparently the owners only found out last night.

I want to start a petition but want to make sure it's worded as effectively as possible. Can anyone help with the text?

5. xes

xes F.O.A.D

"get the fuck off our fucking 414 you fucking arseholes"

will that do?

This is proper sad, the 414 is a sacred venue. (good luck with getting the petition sorted)

6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

From what I've heard - admittedly not even secondhand - there may be other issues. I'm not sure whether the planning application itself is actually the threat here. May be worth holding off on wording a petition until this is clearer.

That shouldn't stop people objecting to the application and loss of a club site in principle.

Greebo likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe you could PM me the things you've heard because I've been told some stuff too....

Greebo likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seems pertinent:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-police-council-strangling-night-time-economy

Greebo likes this.
  9. equationgirl

equationgirl Do you believe you can walk on water?

One of the biggest clubs in Glasgow has just been forced to close, the arches. Seems nobody is allowed to have fun anymore.

boohoo likes this.
  10. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Soon there will be nothing left. I lived in Brixton from 2008-10 and have been in Tulse Hill ever since, so am probably part of the blow in type, but I loved it when we lived there and it's barely recognisable any more.

11. slightlytouched

slightlytouched Tick Tock.....

Noooooooo ! :mad: :( Just.....NO! Love that place.

editor likes this.
  12. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

The tenant part of me thinks "what the fuck?" and then the tenant part of me reminds me to watch my arse.

13. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Oh, will you stop? You're a tip-top candidate for Forced Ignore IMO.

15. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

:(
    Ended up there more than a few times in the late 90s/early 00s.
    My abiding memory of that place, apart from the fishtank in the dark and the staircase, is giving a pill to a mate, getting caught by the bouncer and asking me what i'd just passed to my mate, me saying that i'd given him a fiver i owed him, then the bouncer asking me 'ok, why did he put it in his mouth then?' :D

han, gaijingirl, Eggby and 8 others like this.
  16. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

no
    funny how some things deserve saving and others don't eh! pick and choose pick and choose :hmm:

go ahead and ignore me! fill yer boots

17. Twattor

Never been there, and tbh would never have heard of it if it wasn't for the forums generally. Fairly sure it isn't my cup of tea, but I've been living here for quite a few years and will always support establishments which are beneficial to the community.

Gramsci likes this.
  18. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Do we always have to do this mate?

19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

In a couple of scenes in the rave community it is a genuinely legendary venue going back a good 20 years

Plus the more recent wider forays in to jazz etc that editor has written about.

I've only spoken to him twice but the owner is a really decent guy.

editor and Greebo like this.
  20. Twattor

Another example of the adversarial approach to landlord tenant relations. I'm sure there are better ways of managing things; ultimately it is all game theory.

Dan U likes this.
  21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

not always, done it 2 maybe 3 times now, just turning the tables a little!
    that poster may have me on ignore anyway

great shame about the 414, banging club

Greebo likes this.
  22. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Don't think there is any ulterior motive by Rushy

Maybe I a more grumpy cos of what it is and who it is!

Should think all the liberator and London techno crew will be up in arms, if the know yet.

Thimble Queen, Greebo and ddraig like this.
  23. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Objection lodged.

Greebo and editor like this.
  24. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please don't disrupt this thread. The 414 is important to a lot of people.

Gramsci, Smick, boohoo and 5 others like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

On what grounds? Not being funny but remember reading on the boards that objections have to be about the proposal fitting with policy rather than expressing a preference against something happening.
    (and I'd be happy to object if given the right wording. Ta)

editor likes this.
  28. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

Heard shit things about how this was handled from somebody that knows what they are talking about this evening.

I was never in there because the hard hose techno thing wasn't my gig. However I was always impressed by the victims that could stagger out at any point of the clock, Monday to Sunday, any day of the year.

I'm sad Kaff is closing. But the 414 being closed is way worse - another side of the coin that's closing The Canterbury which for me is the worst and most senseless of all. Real old parts of Brixton gone.

innit, gaijingirl, Eggby and 3 others like this.
  29. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

It's yet another all night venue in London lost, so many gone.

Clubbing was a big part of my life, along with squat parties, for most of the nineties and in to the 00s.

Even places I never went to because they weren't my bag I mourn on the wider point of the homogenisation of night life.

It's a much wider issue than Brixton

teuchter, boohoo, Greebo and 6 others like this.
  30. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you