1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's Blacker Dread jailed for two and a half years for money laundering

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 23, 2014.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I am curious to see what the film/TV programme has to say on this.
    The way I read the case at the time it wasn't money laundering at all. Unless he is trying to make out his daughter/female relative who diverted the money from the company she worked for forced him to put it through his bank account, and he really had no idea what was going on.
    Slo-mo likes this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

He got done for money laundering. She made up fake invoices and put proceeds through several people bank accounts. Including Blacker. So he was done in law for allowing his bank account to process money got from criminal actions of another.
    CH1 likes this.
  3. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

4. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

So far it's only saying he 'helped' set up Splash.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I watched the film on TV just now, obviously, and thought as documentaries go it was a very full approach to the subject.

From a Brixton history point of view I found it interesting that the family originally had some connection with the Bible Truth Church of God - the tin shack in Hetherington Road (is it still there? - the church has had permission to redevelop for several years).

I thought the idea that grammar schools in Jamaica know how to educate Jamaican kids without labelling them as hyperactive, autistic or having ADHD was interesting. I guess Blacker and his son's mother can say that - but if establishment people came out with that here it would be crossing politically acceptable boundaries.

I remember going to a talk in St Matthews crypt back in about 1982 where the speaker, a white probation officer, brought along 3 of his teenage black clients, and they all discussed youth crime and punishment. The probation officer said one of the things that kept him involved in his job was that the clients always had some sense of optimism and thought there was a potential for them to eventually succeed.

There was a bit of that attitude in this film - but the most moving speech was from the young man at the end whose friend had been stabbed to death. Solidarity is great, but in the face of senseless murder might be futile.
    kalibuzz, billythefish and blossie33 like this.
  7. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

I enjoyed it, good documentary. I didn't get the impression Blacker was making grandiose claims at all, some of the digs above seem a bit unnecessary. He seemed the same affable, larger than life character I've always experienced when buying records in his shop over the last 20 years. The schooling sentiments I've heard many times from Jamaican families, it was a proper slice of Brixton life.
    His sidekick was good value, probably less so in his badman days.
    Big up Blacker.

8. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

It was the recent Guardian article where it says:

Blacker Dread: the record store owner who became Brixton’s hero

No mention at all of Pat.
    editor likes this.
  9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Sweet FA and ringo like this.