1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton's Blacker Dread jailed for two and a half years for money laundering

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Yeah, despite the popular myth, I understand there's actually no such thing as 'time off for good behaviour'.

However, it's possible he could be let out early with a tag ('home detention curfew') cos it's a non-violent offence.
  2. SarfLondoner

SarfLondoner KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

I wasn't aware of that if true,Thanks:)
  3. SarfLondoner

That is certainly in his favor, I would imagine it will be a cat c prison and an easier ride.
    Greebo likes this.
  4. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Easy doing time for fraud.
    Pickman's model likes this.
  5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Standard sentence reduction terms apply even if you have form.
    Slo-mo, Sirena and Greebo like this.
  6. ViolentPanda

There are standard sentence tariffs, and (dependent on internal disciplinary record while serving your sentence tariff) standard sentence-reduction tariffs. If he behaves himself/doesn't go before the governor too often (that's an actual thing, not a euphemism for the screws kicking your bollocks up into your throat), he's serve about 55% of his sentence tariff before being eligible. If he consistenctly plays the bad boy, he'll do the whole sentence. About 70% of prisoners only do the 55%. Less than 10% of prisoners do their full sentence tariff. I they did, we'd be seriously under-established in terms of prison places, by around 30,000 beds.
    salem, Brixton Hatter and Greebo like this.
  7. ViolentPanda

Imagine if you didn't get time off if you had form! You'd have prisoners on the roofs, and not because they were rioting either, but because that would be where their kip was!
    dylanredefined, TopCat and Greebo like this.
  8. ViolentPanda

Yeah, it's "good order and discipline", nothing to do with the original sentence, and even if you're a total cunt and act up all the time, they can't keep you beyond the period of your full sentence, and nowadays can only deduct 7 days from your sentence reduction for each offence that puts you in front of the governor. used to be 28 days until the early '90s.
  9. mxh

mxh Well-Known Member

Couldn't Blacker Dread and his co convicts clean up the mess after Splash, after all they are short of money and wasn't Splash his idea.
  10. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Just had a visit from one of Blacker's friends. He's in Brixton Prison, working on the prison radio service.

Apparently, when you get a longer sentence, you have to serve at least a year in a proper prison. Then you can be moved to an open prison.

Knowing Blacker, he would probably be happy to do the whole time in Brixton.
  11. SarfLondoner

12. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

He's out.
  13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Reviving this thread - just spotted there is a film about him out soon.

A showing at the Bertha DocHouse (part of the Curzon Bloomsbury cinema in Brunswick Square) on 9th March 2018 for anyone interested,
    BEING BLACKER | DocHouse
    ringo, Gramsci and Pickman's model like this.
  14. GarveyLives

tim, Slo-mo and Fozzie Bear like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, it wasn't.
    Gramsci likes this.
  16. GarveyLives

Here is The Guardian's view:

Blacker Dread: the record store owner who became Brixton’s hero

Bizarrely, the article is accompanied by a phootograph credited to Tim Graham/Getty Images which is captioned:

"Blacker meets Nelson Mandela in Brixton at the end of his state visit to Britain in 1996"

The photograph shows The Late Mr Mandela shaking hands with someone who appears to be 20-30 years older than Steve Martin / Blacker Dread.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't realise he was "Brixton's hero."
  18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

How come a large fraud involving a relative who had access to a companies payment systems has become romanticised into "money laundering"?
    Was it money laundering when staff defrauded the Stockwell Resource Centre using the payroll system?
    Waladli, urbanspaceman and editor like this.
  19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

He was found guilty of money laundering.

He was also found guilty of theft.

I don't think there's anything romantic about being a convicted thief and money launderer (or an non-convicted one come to that)
    Waladli, Gramsci and Tricky Skills like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Quite fantastic rewriting of history here.
    The above is a total load of bollocks.

The actual facts: Brixton Splash continues to airbrush its founder from the event’s history
    Waladli and Gramsci like this.
  21. GarveyLives

The murder of his 24-year old son, Solomon Shiloh Martin who died in a silver Reno Clio in Pilgrim Hill, West Norwood following a hail of bullets from three separate guns on 31 December 2004 remains unsolved, despite the offer of a £20,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Maybe the documentary will encourage those who can assist with the enquiry – including Solomon Martin’s two friends who were with him in the same vehicle at the start of the attack – to come forward.
    Waladli, Thimble Queen and Gramsci like this.
  22. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the documentary.

Blacker Dread: the record store owner who became Brixton’s hero

The Guardian piece does give me cause for concern. As editor says his reasons for starting Splash are historically inaccurate. I also wonder whether his assertion that it it was him that persuaded Nelson Mandela to come here is accurate.

As I have had , somewhat fraught, dealings with documentary film with Carlton Mansions I am much more circumspect about documentary film making.

I watched the trailer for the Being Blacker doc. He is very charismatic. Comes across well on camera.

Is he to be taken as represented of the Black experience in Britain? The doc maker Molly seems to think so.

Documentary film isn't historical research. It should be imo but it's not. Blacker Dread is just the kind of person doc makers like. Blacker creates himself as he goes along. Makes his own narrative. As in his version of Splash. He is doc makers dream. You just have to stick the camera in front of him and he performs.

He does show that an aspect of identity is performative. This doesn't mean it's wrong or superficial. It's that when watching docs one must imo keep a distance. A first person doc is not the literal truth. To add Im not critical of Blacker for this.I need to see the doc. I think all people create and recreate the narrative of there lives. Blacker is representative of someone who has had to deal with living in a racist society, also subject to colonialism and the legacy of slavery. Hopefully the doc does explore this.

Someone told me that one of the problems of historical research is that it is the " characters" who come forward first to be recorded. When I read Guardian piece and watched the trailer I thought there are other Afro Carribbean people/ families I know who would be better representation of the immigrant Black experience in London.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Libertad, Slo-mo, Waladli and 2 others like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ultimately, it's all showbiz of a sort. For the documentary maker to get the required funding/distribution/attention, they firstly need a charismatic central character who can perform for the cameras and keep an audience entertained. The truth almost always comes second in such situations.
  24. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I guess the receipts will go towards paying off the confiscation order?
  26. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Ditto the Lefties: Property is Theft film about Villa road.Completely skewed.
    Gramsci likes this.
  27. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

The Beeb description says:
    I've always been led to believe that his first sentence was years ago when he was in a gang. And that the gang/prison thing is the reason he can mediate with the sort of people who don't normally engage with a mediator. Is that correct?
  28. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

Is there any more information available about this ?
  29. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Well I dont know if this is a recommendation or not but the MoS TV guide has this as its top TV documentary of the week.
    Gramsci likes this.
  30. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I don't care that Blacker Dread got done for money laundering. He's done his time and paid his dues to society. What irritates me about Blacker is the self aggrandisement. That's what I object to. In particular knowingly writing Pat out of Brixton Splash history. This is because Pat is white. If he wasn't Jasper and Blacker would not have written him out of the origins of Splash.

On money laundering the City of London is one big offshore financial centre. That it's a big money laundering operation. Russian Oligarchs have been money laundering buying up property through front companies. The influx of Russian dirty money has been given blind eye by Tory and Labour government. As they want London to be world financial centre. Plus the real crooks in the City who caused the financial crisis got bailed out by government or took early retirement. None of them did jail time.

It's low hanging, not that bright, fruit like Blacker who do jail time. Whilst the real scum who run the City of London are laughing.
    Libertad, editor, tim and 1 other person like this.