Brixton youth-focused charities...

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 24, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

I've got some small amounts of cash from the Bowie night that I want to distribute to local charities.

It was a music-focused event, so the largest chunk is going to local youth music charities (School Ground Sounds and Raw Material), but I'd like to give away smaller sums to worthwhile causes.

I've already given £50 to the Brixton Book Shop and I'll be giving dosh to the Soup Kitchen, Grove Playground and I'm looking for others. Any suggestions?

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  2. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

St Mathews Project?

Biddlybee and editor like this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

Good call. I just sent them £50.

4. discobastard

discobastard edited

grooveshool

A not-for-profit organisation that offers young people in Tulse Hill opportunities to learn to DJ and make music. I met the founder the other night. Lovely guy and am sure they would welcome a donation if you are willing. Currently operating out of this place in Tulse Hill: The Yellow Cube CIC in Tulse Hill

5. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Have you considered Kids City? ( Childcare Services in South London, UK - Kids' City). Not for profit 24 yr old charity on Brixton Hill

Web site is looking a touch stale but I guarantee they do good work: before and after-school provision of care and activities for kids up to about 15 (primarily in Lambeth). Service provided as near to cost as possible, with subsidies where needed.

Mission statement: Our objective is to advance the education of school age children by providing recreational and educational activities during out of school hours and in school holidays to develop their physical, mental and spiritual capacities. In this way, they may grow to full maturity as individuals and members of society.

020 8678 5968 info@kidscity.com. Ask for Jeremy Sandell if you want to talk to the CEO

Many thanks in advance if you decide to send something that way

6. editor

editor hiraethified

I wish charity sites would make it easier to bloody donate online!

This page doesn't work: Donate - Kids' City and I haven't the time to start chasing them up. Could you tell them that I've got £50 waiting for them?

7. nick

I'm on it. Best way to contact you?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

brixtonbuzz - at - gmail.com
    if they could get their form working that would be the least faff.

nick likes this.
  9. nick

Thanks again - have asked someone to contact you and have highlighted the donate page issue..

editor likes this.
  10. DietCokeGirl

editor and Gramsci like this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

Fucking hell. Trying to give away money can be quite stressful at times. Some charities make it impossible to find their donate forms or you have to jump through hoops on the actual donation pages - and then some won't accept your dosh!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions - please keep them coming, particularly for small charities based around youth projects.

So far I've donated £50 each to the Book Shop, Grove Playground, St Matthews Project, Kids City and Aurora Project and given bigger sums to the Soup Kitchen and School Ground Sounds music charity (who sent me a card and a thank you in response, which was lovely!).

I'm currently trying to give money to the Brixton Food Bank, Juvenis and Raw Material music charity but their websites are driving me mad!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Gramsci and nick like this.
  12. nick

And a big thank-you on behalf of KidsCity - although hopefully someone has already thanked you personally

editor likes this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

I've been really busy so only sent off the dosh today (although I may have sent it twice by mistake - no matter!). But it's a bloody pleasure to be in a position to give away a relatively small amounts of money to lots of charities. Makes me want to make next year's Bowie night even bigger!

14. DietCokeGirl

editor - have sent you a PM with foodbank contact details. Massive Thank you in advance!

editor likes this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified

They got back to me and have this online form now so was able to send them a donation.
    Norwood and Brixton Foodbank Ltd on MyDonate

Gramsci likes this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

17. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's the list so far:

School Ground Sounds
    Soup Kitchen
    Brixton Food Bank
    Aurora drugs project
    Book Shop Brixton
    Grove Adventure Playground
    St Matthews Project
    Kids City
    Juventis
    Raw Material
    South London Youth
    Ebony Horse Club

Can anyone think of any other small local charities (not CICs) as I've still got a couple of hundred left to give away. I think I might give some to Lambeth Age UK too.

Gramsci likes this.
  18. DietCokeGirl

Gramsci and editor like this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

I looked at the Baytree Centre a while back but got rather switched off when I saw "Christian values" on their site. I can see they do good work, but, well....

Good call on the Brixton Advice Centre but they make it difficult to donate, despite lots of BIG BUTTONS on their site. https://brixtonadvice.org.uk/donations/

I don't want to have to download forms and send off letters, FFS. Please! Just take my money!

20. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They'll get an extra Gift Aid lump sum of cash if you fill in those forms...

21. editor

editor hiraethified

Yes I know that but I haven't got time to be doing that. Charities REALLY need to make it extremely easy for people to donate.

22. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's not compulsory - they're not going to turn you away if you rock up with £100 to the Railton Road office - but they will ask you to complete a GA declaration - partly as they need to track where £ donations are coming from from a Charity Commission regulatory requirement, but partly as that form means an extra £25 to them

23. DietCokeGirl

Sadly it's not always easy to get volunteers with the admin/web techy skills required. And the nature of volunteers means they move on, or have very limited time around their day jobs. I understand it's frustrating for the public, it's equally frustrating on the side of small charities too, who would love to have the infrastructure in place but often don't know how.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

Not sure why you're telling me what I already know, but to repeat: I really really haven't got the time to start printing out forms or walking around Brixton with cheques (I don't even think I have a chequebook any way).

25. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

You have a paypal account that could be used for BAC? That seems a straightforward way.

It's not also them that is asking you to fill out the forms - it's the HMRC.

26. editor

editor hiraethified

Again, I know this, but most charities make this a couple of added clicks on their donate page. Easy peasy.

I put shitloads of work into raising this money and it's taking far too long to dish the cash out. Perhaps you could expand your energies into helping them sort out a proper online donate form?

27. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

So you can't use their paypal big buttons? if not, you could email / call them them and ask for their bank details to make an electronic transfer?

As for me sorting out there online donate forms - as DietCokeGirl has pointed out - there isn't one standard industry platform and many charities and voluntary groups are too busy doing delivery work to find the time and resources to manage them themselves.

If there was an easy answer, it would have been done - the sector's quite good that way.

Finally - welcome to grant making - man discovers that giving away cash to charities well is harder than originally thought.

catriona likes this.
  28. editor

editor hiraethified

Why don't you set one up for them? You seem to have plenty of time to stick your oar in here and apparently know all about it.

Plenty of small charities I've already donated to seem to have managed to do it, by the way, so I'm not sure it's as difficult as you're making it out to be - it just needs someone with time and a little expertise - and that sounds rather like you!

29. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

As I mentioned - simple payment transaction methods for charities have been an issue for years - the demise of a recent large well used charity payment processing site is one example of the difficulties in running low cost, but secure ptp payments.

I'm posting here, as I'm procrastinating whilst trying to reconcile a batch of individual giving and other payments for the month. All coming from different sources, with different bank / BACS / GA and payment reference info on them, as there's no industry standard.

I'm also not a web expert - i thought you were? Just think of extra you could be giving them beyond cash!

30. editor

editor hiraethified

:facepalm::rolleyes: