Brixton Wave 2017 - 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 18, 2017.

1. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

salem likes this.
  2. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Fuck sake

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Something smells very wrong here. Why are they sitting on three quarters of a million pounds? Where did it all come from?

Nanker Phelge, Gramsci and salem like this.
  4. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Smells wrong? I'm gagging on the stench.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  5. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

6. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Can anyone clarify the meaning of this?

Brixton Splash Ltd is registered at Companies House under number 07071661.

A poster has posted that company's balance sheet at 30 November 2017 and described it as that of "Brixton Wave Ltd", when it appears that no such company currently exists (not in the UK, at any rate).

Can anyone clarify how Brixton Splash Ltd is connected to, or involved with the various 'Brixton Wave' non-events which are the subject matter of this thread?

Apologies if I have missed something here.

7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

They have 1 director overlap as far as I can see - Ros G. So they aren't the same organisations and Wave don't suddenly have a lump of cash. Brixton Splash Ltd went from assets of c£20k pa to a much bigger balance.

If that was coming from a govt or LA, or grant contract then they would be obliged to state where that income came from. Them not doing that implies that the income isn't coming from that sort of source*.

But then I can't see the Brixton Wave Co. House record to see how they are, or how they're registered?

*it looks like a capital asset, or legacy gift.

alcopop likes this.
  8. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Isn't Wave just a feeble gentrified Splash?

I assumed they were associated but admit some confusion or error...

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

In terms of marketing - probably yes.

But as legal entities - No, Wave is Ros G and fronted by a random social media events company Value My Time - the one who hates what she calls "West London" when she means the West End etc. the same grammatical errors appear in her text and the Wave PR.

Splash remains the same set of people who always ran Splash the Ltd Company.

editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm still baffled how Brixton Splash - an organisation which, as far as I can see, has no event to promote or stated purpose, can end up so loaded with cash with no apparent accountability.
    If anyone knows more about these things, I'd appreciate some digging.

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

What would you want to find out and to what purpose? Why don't you ask them?

Their 'purpose' would be set up in their company house documents - all available online along with their contact details.

Splash is an entity legally - so doesn't need an event - some individual may have given that cash to them to do with it whatever they want as outlined in my post above. All of that (subject to the usual money laundering things) is perfectly legal.

Perhaps stop using emotive phrases like 'loaded with cash', and 'no accountability' as they're complying with their regulatory framework and therefore legally accountable.

SpamMisery and discobastard like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I said "no apparent accountability," which is a fair comment from a community viewpoint. In my opinion. And they are indeed loaded with cash for something that most people viewed as some sort of people's festival.

But what is their purpose and where did all the money come from? Their website (stuck in 2016) has no pertinent info.

13. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Splash website shows a claim to be sponsored by the Arts Council Lottery fund and I saw something about a donation from Keith Fitchett Memorial Housing Fund subject to conditions but can't find it now.

The year to November 2016 funds reduced by about £11,000.00
    in the year to November 2017 they increased by over £715,000.00
    £69.00 was pledged to their crowd fund site in 2016
    The Web site was last updated in April 2017
    Someone used tweeted their twitter in Feb, May and Aug 2018

May be they could use their funds to build a Splash Memorial public toilet....

Tricky Skills and editor like this.