1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Wave 11th - 13th August 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 18, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's not for the long term residents - it's designed to increase the profile and profitability of nu-Brixton entrepreneurial types and all those who have climbed aboard the Brixton funding gravy train - and selected friends.

That said their social media strategy is pure clusterfuck. No none has been arsed to post anything on their pointless #waveshoptour hashtag on Twitter and #wavefoodtour hashtag on Twitter hashtags, there's still fuck all on Facebook and Twitter, the app is nowhere to be seen and the thing is only three weeks away.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Without the (working) App there is nothing but a vacuum.

Pickman's model, Gramsci and editor like this.
  3. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Anyone know any businesses taking part? Nothing on their website and none of the ones I've spoken to, both food and retail, have been approached.

Gramsci likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just over two weeks to go and still nothing on their Twitter or FB feeds. This thing is looking dead in the water.

5. DietCokeGirl

Boom-boom!

bimble and editor like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Turns out that the Brixton Blog are MASSIVE fans of Brixton Wave.

Ride the Brixton Wave

The app developer never got back to me, and it's not on Android yet. Anyone seen it on iOS?

Gramsci likes this.
  7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Looks like they just regurgitated a press release,

Gramsci and editor like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This comment was added to the Buzz article:
    So they're asking businesses to offer discounts all year around in exchange for what? To appear on a pointless app that still hasn't surfaced?

Gramsci and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  9. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Free trail though

bimble likes this.
  10. DietCokeGirl

Fire the proof reader.

Gramsci likes this.
  11. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

This is going to be so fun I can barely contain my excitement.

On the other hand I kind of love it as it makes me feel a lot better about my own shambolic event organising skillz.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've changed the home page text again. 'Local music artists' has appeared.

2017-07-25_145602.jpg

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their FB page is still reporting it as a three day event as is their own front page

2017-07-25_145938.jpg

14. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

15. DietCokeGirl

I wonder how much the organisers got in grants funding, which could have gone a long way for smaller community projects.

Thimble Queen and ddraig like this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

All the funding and income for this should be transparent.

happyshopper likes this.
  17. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

"What we REQUIRE from you...." :eek::D

ddraig, innit, trabuquera and 2 others like this.
  18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I actually reckon that most people in Brixton and indeed elsewhere in London (who are supposed to to be the ones flocking to Brixton for this destination event) still won't be aware of its existence even the day before it's due to start, let alone be tempted to attend it.

editor likes this.
  19. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

This is taken from the PDF for volunteers on the BW website: "Be available for our induction weekend on Saturday 22 & Sunday 23 July 2017"

I wonder whether the induction weekend actually took place.

editor likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hard to keep up with their ever shifting mission statements. it now reads:

They've really ramped up their online presence now too, with their Twitter feed smashing through the three posts landmark.

wave.jpg

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I followed their advice to "find them on Facebook" but there's still only two posts there - one from May, the other from last year. Apart from the Brixton Blog advert-posturing-as-an-article, their online presence is close to zero.

It's not looking good, is it?

22. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

scarcely a ripple of media interest either
    (sorry)

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not a drop.

24. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I have a feeling that this event will be a damp squib ( or is it squid? I never am sure, but then I guess all squids are damp, so it must be squib)

Gramsci and SpamMisery like this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ten days to go and still no press releases, no updates, no social media activity and no app.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Someone sent me this:

Seven days to go. All social media channels remain silent and there's no sign of the promised app. Why can't they at least say what the fuck is going on?

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  27. DietCokeGirl

Crunchy, crunchy popcorn time. Seriously though, their website says they're funded through grants, as well as tickets and advertising so I very much hope they have to pay back any grant money, or donate it to schemes that would make good use of it like @bimbles excellent adventure playground restoration.

ddraig, ViolentPanda, Gramsci and 2 others like this.
  28. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I talked to two shopkeepers I know today. One had letter asking him if he would give discounts. The other said he had received nothing.

I asked both if anyone from Wave had asked them what they would like Wave to do. Neither had been consulted.

The were both negative about Brixton BID. Didn't see it as relevant to them. Nor were they enthusiastic about Brixton Wave.

One of them brought up that the final day has been cancelled. That was to be the day for music. He said the bit for the local community had been cancelled. The other two days were for the newer eateries. He didn't think Wave was about the local community.

ViolentPanda and editor like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci and bimble like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some comments from FB:

Gramsci likes this.