1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Wave 11th - 13th August 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 18, 2017.

1. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Well looking at the detail, it becomes clear how Ros and chums plan to monetise this event for themselves.
    Check the objectives, the bit about the lasting legacy for Wave, the setting up of a social enterprise (with grant money coming in) with no doubt Ros as CEO on a fat salary surrounded by newly appointed paid chums.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

snouts in the trough

3. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Avocado burger, lovingly hand-glazed with a Reggae-Reggae sauce reduction. £18.99 (or £15 with the app).

4. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Why not go extra edgy and eat it in a fish tank ??? Unique and yours to devour for only £30.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. drachir

drachir Well-Known Member

What an absolute joke, surely even Henries aren't going to be interested in this bollocks?

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Brixton Wave bye bye....

ViolentPanda likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Every last thing that made Brixton unique and actually "vibrant" is being replaced by commercial, entrepreneurial, foodie, upmarket shite for the Moneyed Bland Set. Fuck shopping festivals to put Brixton as a 'destination'. Fuck making Brixton another crap Camden.

Gramsci and sealion like this.
  8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Not waving but drowning :(

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Where is Roz in all of this? I thought she was the one with the masters degree in Community Development?

10. TopCat

Ros has positioned herself firmly at the forefront of a new acceptable blackness in Brixton (acceptable to the authorities that is). Ensure your demands are only about shopping and hey presto, a plum job.

Gramsci likes this.
  11. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

Ros' expertise in shopping is a sight to behold. At Tesco there was one vacant self-service till. But nobody could use it because Ros had sent one of her children ahead to reserve it for her. As she ambled slowly past the queue of bemused, frustrated shoppers, the look of disdain and entitlement on her face told you everything you need to know about her commitment to the community. She can't or won't contemplate anything except her own self-interest.

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

To:

2017-07-12_161918.jpg

[​IMG]

From a community street party to a consumerist "shopping experiences" with shitty fucking "tasting menus".

isvicthere?, Gramsci and sealion like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fuck me they're incompetent at social media. One tweet. Hashtags empty. FB page empty.

2017-07-12_170831.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  14. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

15. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

It's all a long way from Reclaim the Streets, c.1999. :(

sealion likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ddraig, sealion and Gramsci like this.
  17. TopCat

It would not take much to have our Sunday anyway. RTS is a great example. I loved that day.

sealion likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:D

sealion likes this.
  19. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Can't we harness the power of the Internet to get a sound system and cause some dancing obstruction that weekend anyway?

sealion, Gramsci and editor like this.
  20. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Why waste a good sound system on a shopaholic festival...

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm not sure you'd even notice if this 'festival' is taking place seeing as it primarily seems to be about encouraging tourists to come in and shop and fill their faces with trendy food. Like they already do, in vast numbers.

I wrote to the person who is supposed to creating this pointless shopping app yesterday to ask when it might see the light of day. No reply. I assume that businesses who don't fork out to get involved will be excluded from this app but I doubt if it's going to make any difference. Who the fuck downloads an app these days for such a small event?

And that the fuck does "destination of choice" mean anyway?

Gramsci likes this.
  22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's all a load of bollocks
    ...and bollocks to it all....

sealion likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A reminder of the messy end of Splash.

[​IMG]

The fuckers still haven't credited me for their front page photo which they stole.

24. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Again.

25. ViolentPanda

Gramsci and sealion like this.
  26. ViolentPanda

Because it would scare those here for the "cultural tourism"? :)

sealion likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The transition from the community celebration of Brixton Splash to the neutered, consumerist, tourist-luring Brixton Wave surely stands as a perfect metaphor to what has happened to Brixton in recent years.

Gramsci and ViolentPanda like this.
  28. ViolentPanda

Sadly true.
    Also sad that someone who puts herself forward constantly as a "community leader" (although I've heard some more pungent epithets from the people she claims to represent), appears to frequently modify her position in order to take advantage of the new (Town Hall) reality.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This is the blandification - the very real white-washing - of Brixtonian culture. That a supposed community leader is complicit in this, is nauseating.

Gramsci likes this.
  29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Brixton Wave appears to be all about Brixton as a "foodie" destination. This does nothing for those business who aren't eateries. The kind of shops ordinary Joe uses.

30. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

At least Splash was cheap festival for locals. I can't see Wave as having any relevance to the residents of the Loughborough Estate near me.

DietCokeGirl and editor like this.