1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Wave 11th - 13th August 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 18, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It looks like this tourist-targeting splash-lite festival is going ahead.

Brixton Wave Festival 11th - 13th August 2017

2. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

So a mini carnival predominantly about music is to become a festival predominantly about retail, food and undefined 'arts'?

whataloadofbollocks

Gramsci and Sea Lion like this.
  3. felixgolightly

felixgolightly furiously apathetic

They're not even sure of the dates.

Gramsci and lefteri like this.
  4. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I'm sure the 4th-6th one will be better :D

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just noticed that - one date on their header and a different one on the page copy. It doesn't bode well for the professionalism of the event.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who the fuck gives a shit about "building on Brixton’s reputation as a destination of choice"? What about the people that already live here? Why can't they have a festival that's about them and not some kind of retail bonanza for tourists?

Their Facebook page hasn't been touched since last year, but on that they say they're targeting "young, first time festival goers." Not sure where that comes from.

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's already chaotic: a friend was given a job to organise part of the festival. And then he saw they'd posted up an advert for his job behind his back a week later. He's just quit.

8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Network Rail official partners :thumbs:

Last edited: May 25, 2017 at 12:50 PM
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This description still pisses me off:

And WTF is a " cultural tourism legacy"?

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I do find it rather tactless , given what NR have done to small business in Brixton, that Brixton Wave have agreed to have them sponsor the event.

editor and wurlycurly like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've altered the date in the thread title. Let's hope they stick with it.

12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Arf: http://brixtonwave.uk/

On FB they signposted someone to that site ^^^ seems they haven't paid their web hosting fees.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their twitter account is yet to tweet too. I'm finding a devastating lack of enthusiasm for this event online and offline' Having the cops and Network Rail sponsor kind of plays down the supposed 'community' aspect of this.