Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton and Hondo Enterprises' Brixton empire

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by phillm, Oct 2, 2017.

1. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

[​IMG]

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

3. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Judging by his eyes one would be tempted to think he might have been higher there than Elon Musk's little convertible red car is right now.

Tricky Skills, fishfinger and editor like this.
  4. David Clapson

David Clapson Infamous Knob

Gramsci, Tricky Skills and editor like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Well what do you know?
    Market.jpg

Gramsci and editor like this.
  6. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

So it looks like the start of the end for the upstairs here too - rent increases ahead according to the Reclaim Brixton FB.

Gramsci likes this.
  7. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Have you tried booking them for an Offline?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

DJ Rich Cunt and His Over Privileged Pals on the decks! Keepin' it real.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

I've heard loads of artists are being kicked out of the studios. It stinks.

Gramsci likes this.
  10. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

Very much stinks. More to follow.

Gramsci likes this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

2018-12-05_220223.jpg

It should be "it's," for fuck's sake. :mad:

nick and trabuquera like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

I think all the artists have been hoofed out now.
    Still, we've got lots and lots of deejays now to help smooth the champagne and fromage down the gullet.

13. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Big like for the grammar pedantry. Got to keep an eye on this sort of thing, thin end of the wedge and all that ;-)

editor likes this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

2019-03-21_183802.jpg

So the new socialite rich kid owner is hell-bent on turning the Village into some kind of hot'n'happenin', music-pumpin' rival to Pop Brixton - apparently there's a recording studio coming up and there's going to be more DJs all over the place - but I have to say this bizarre kontiki-style DJ hut that gets wheeled around the place is a strange confection.

It's equipped with really high end gear but it just seems daft to me. I've never seen anyone dancing or interacting with the thing (perhaps I've just missed those moments), but it seems weird to have a full on DJ playing to the backs of a load of diners and foodies.

lang rabbie and Gramsci like this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified

Interesting stuff here. Looks like my April's Fool piece wasn't that far out.

More here https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=10538&x=1

Gramsci likes this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

I've heard that it's going to be renamed back to Granville Arcade at some point, probably to give it some vintage appeal or something.

Nivag and Gramsci like this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

They;re describing this as 'Sustainable Fashion Event'. I can't say that's what I'd call it:

keep-boutique-1.jpg

Note the use of Granville Arcade.

'Vendeur' goes rather nicely with 'Champagne & Fromage', no?

18. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I think anything which encourages people to mend clothes rather than binning them and buying new is a good thing - who knows someone might go for the fizz and come out converted.

Rushy, DietCokeGirl and blameless77 like this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

I'd usually agree, but at £20 a pop this seems to be more about a fun, on-trend jolly for well-off folk rather than promoting actual "sustainable fashion," which is a "movement and process of fostering change to fashion products and the fashion system towards greater ecological integrity and social justice."
    Still better than nothing, I suppose.

Sustainable fashion - Wikipedia

Gramsci likes this.
  20. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I'm my experience, poor people tend to mend their clothes not throw them away.

21. editor

editor hiraethified

People of all incomes will try and fix expensive items, but with the advent of Primark and dirt-cheap clothing, far more clothing is thrown away than ever before. Why do you think all the clothing street markets vanished from Brixton? Even they can struggle to compete on the pricing of essentials.

But however you spin it, a £20 fizz-fuelled two-hour jolly falls far short of most people's idea of 'sustainable fashion.'

twistedAM, BusLanes and Gramsci like this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

2019-06-14_130336.jpg

Went past yesterday. There was a DJ playing directly to the posh grazers and bubbly quaffers of Champagne & Fromage. I'm struggling to think of a more soul-destroying DJ gig.

2019-06-14_130913.jpg

Gotta admire the amount of expensive kit though. Despite being approx 30cm from each powerful speaker, he has his own monitor set up too.

Gramsci likes this.
  23. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

None of the speakers are expensive. Mackies are about £500 a pair and probably the cheapest things you can get away with..apart from Alto, the monitor system of choice :)

24. editor

editor hiraethified

Including the decks and mixer (both Pioneer), that's around a grand's worth of gear to play (quietly) in front of 20 people filling their faces with champers and artisanal treats. And the monitor is total overkill for such low audio levels.

25. editor

editor hiraethified

26. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  27. editor

editor hiraethified

This kind of thing makes me sick up a bit

[​IMG]

All their venues look exactly the same and attract the exact same crowd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Incipio Group

28. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

High praise from the Tatler...say no more.

29. editor

editor hiraethified

They've also been featured in Harper's Bazaar, GQ. Vogue, FT and the Sunday Times. Sigh.

30. editor

editor hiraethified

So they're another big money backed venture:
    Pergola operator secures £5m funding towards expansion