1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Village and Market Row up for sale for £30m

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by phillm, Oct 2, 2017.

1. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some interesting comments from FB friends. I think this really will finish off the market as a place having any kind of connection with the past (or, indeed, the reasons for its listed status):

4. Dil Green

Dil Green Active Member

Profit-taking by the current owner. As suggested above, new owner (assuming it's not some boring pension-fund type group - which would be good, but unlikely) is likely to want routes to increased property value - which means reviving the 2007 plan to build flats on top - only this time it will be many more flats (8 stories?), with (I predict) a 'clever' scheme to keep the market open during construction. Squire & co as architects? I wouldn't be surprised...

editor likes this.
  5. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Crap.

6. mao

mao I'm totally wired

This is the last nail in the coffee...

7. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

It definitely doesn't look good. I've been renting a studio via ASC since 2010, during which time my rent has tripled. I was already dreading the rent review in January. Now I'm worried it could be the last one...

editor likes this.
  8. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

So is it really a given that the new landlord will be worse than the current one?

This might be good news for the 414, at least for a while...maybe the plans for their building will go on the back burner for a year or two.

editor likes this.
  9. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The markets are listed now. So don't think that could happen.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Being listed doesn't guarantee that a building will never get altered or flattened.

Ninety listed buildings demolished

11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

And then of course there's the mysterious arson bug that affects so many listed buildings that stand in the way of profitable developments...

Dan U, DietCokeGirl and editor like this.
  12. Dil Green

Dil Green Active Member

Listed building status is paper-thin protection - not any sort of guarantee.
    Clever architects are great at finding ways to make it look nice, while gutting the reality. In this case, preserving the entrance facades and the market, while keeping the housing set back above would probably be a goer.

editor likes this.
  13. Dil Green

Dil Green Active Member

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed - and you can see an example of that right next door with Walton Lodge.

15. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Facadism

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

This one was an absolute shocker. The architects and everyone involved in the project should hang their heads in shame.

17. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Yes, it's criminal, or at least it should be.

editor likes this.
  18. Gramsci

Not sure that would be the case with the markets. It's Grade 2 listed. The listing reason Includes the roof of market row and Brixton village.

Also the internals of Reliance Arcade.

;

BRIXTON MARKETS - RELIANCE ARCADE, MARKET ROW AND GRANVILLE ARCADE (BRIXTON VILLAGE), Lambeth - 1393881| Historic England

So it is not only exterior frontage that's protected.

The question is why if it was possible to put in plans to build housing on top the present owners didn't do that? As it would have increased value if it was sold with planing permission for alterations.

Like listing the Rec like listing the markets isn't complete protection. It wasn't imo a waste of time imo to get markets listed. It stopped the first plans to build on it. It gives the covered markets a status architecturally they didn't have before. The listing also is for the markets later importance as shopping area for the Windrush generation.

One of my problems with listing is that it protects buildings but doesn't stop gentrification.

Listing helps but is not total safeguard. Unless it's Grade 2 star listing like the Brixton Windmill.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  19. Gramsci

A possible scenario for the covered markets is a restoration job and letting out shops to upmarket business. See Bermondsey market as example. ( A job for Squires)

That would begin accord with architectural side of listing if not to the markets historical heritage for the working class Afro Carribbean community.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We had this discussion on urban before and it seems that the historical heritage bit don't mean jack in terms of protecting that mix. It's already shifted massively from being a market I'd describe as predominately Afro-Caribbean.

Gramsci likes this.