1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton venues requiring photo ID for entry

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

The geezer's only trying to flog IDs, he aint a serial killer....I'm starting to feel sorry for him.

phillm likes this.
  2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Well, the law may not require mature adults to verify our identity - but for some reason an increasing number of pubs in Brixton do. NOT age - IDENTITY.

As I don't want to spend good money proving I'm 56, when anyone without special training should be able to recognise that I'm old enough to have an 18 yr old grandchild - so your mandatory standard card isn't really for me. I'd rather just drink elsewhere.

Gramsci, editor and Greebo like this.
  3. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Does anyone know if these ID requiring venues will accept out of date passports?

I have 3 of those including the old 'blue' british one. Though I'm not sure if I even want them to scan that either.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

In my experience, no. Which is, of course, fucking ridiculous.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Tom Kenny

Tom Kenny New Member

6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

You can add to this list the Vale Street recycling depot. I was asked for ID yesterday!

They didn't scan it but they do scan number plates...

7. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Vale St started asking for proof of address a couple of weeks ago. I don't think that they ask for proof of age though.
    This from the depths of the Lambeth web site:
    Lambeth Reuse and Recycling Centre - Vale Street | Lambeth Council

Greebo likes this.
  8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Don't know if you caught this interesting article: Pregnant women will have to show ID to give birth at London hospital

I am not saying people should not be be treated - and in fact I was treated free when I had severe malaria in northern Ghana in 1996 (though this by Catholic nuns as there was no government hospital or doctor in the village).

But the fact remains that health services are funded according to population, NI contributions etc and it has to right that entitlement to free treatment is checked.

This situation would not arise in France, where the patient has to pay and then claim back treatment costs from the council on a means tested basis. And of course THEY (the French) have ID cards.

9. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

I heard of that on Woman's Hour - IMHO it would merely lead to people going without medical care and supervision when they need it most. I know it's unusual, but it's possible to go through an entire pregnancy (bleeding can occur which mimicks a light period) without reallising until halfway through labour. Also, younger people and pooer people in urban areas are less likely to have a current passport, so they'd be up the creek without a paddle.

I honestly don't foresee many doctors on the ground enforcing it, it'd break "first do no harm". Similar happened in London with TB patients when it was decreed that their entitlement to NHS treatment should be verified - the danger of letting people wander around untreated (and therefore infectious) was deemed a far greater harm than letting a few possible freeloaders get antibiotics etc.

salem and Gramsci like this.
  10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Isn't TB a notifiable disease? Or have they done away with all that as part of the cuts?

I remember in about 1985 when I worked in a factory in Surbiton someone joined the staff who it tuned out a few days later was diagnoses with TB.
    The whole company was offered immunisation and screening (by the local health authority). I was quite impressed.

Regarding people coming here to have babies, or elective surgery, I still think they should pay. NHS does not exist to provide free healthcare for people who would have to pay for it in their home country.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've noticed more and more venues are asking for Photo ID - the Prince of Wales is now going for the full photo scan treatment, while the Blues Kitchen insist on some ID along with these rules:

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've just seen this event advertised for Ministry and found it rather strange:

13. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I had my ID scanned at fire in Vauxhall last night. They don't seem to have a privacy policy regarding this on their website. I would have thought they should, but don't know. Does anyone know if they should?

14. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Yes they should. And it should be on display. Like do you wish to have your details passed on for advertising purposes.

This is a big problem with ID. Your info can be used for marketing purposes.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Club owners often hate the scanners too, but they've usually being compelled to install them.

16. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Like most people I don't like the concept of having to carry ID to gain entry to a nightclub at all. It's well OTT and a big inconvenience, and much more so for those who don't have a driving licence, which at least fits easily in your wallet and most of those of us who have one carry pretty much every day.

Having said that, I must say I'm very little bothered by both possibilities of being targetted by marketing or my data being stored. In case of the former, bin any flyer/ email that one might receive.

In case of the latter... well perhaps I am being naive but I doubt any nightclub would have reason to store my prints or pass on records of my visiting their establishment to the Big Man. And frankly, couldn't actually give a flying fuck in the very unlikely case they did. It'd be a different matter if we were discussing nightclubs selling personal information to criminals for identity theft purposes of course, but I don't think that's the angle here.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd more worried about the personal information being hacked/stolen and passed on to people who would be only too delighted to have such details.

pogofish and T & P like this.
  18. sim667

Well I've facebooked and email them...

No response as yet.

Gramsci likes this.
  19. sim667

I did actually get a response to this, they're kept on file for 3 months at fire, so the bouncer on the door flat out lied to me when he said they were deleted at the end of the night.

Had another night out on Saturday, same deal, ID scanning, but at least they told you they were going to do it (I've been to venues where they just disappear behind a door with your ID without telling you.

But this venue in Brixton at least has its info on the website, I haven't had to go chasing random people up by email and facebook who work for the venue to find out what the deal is with my data privacy.

So the POW in Brixton
    Membership Policy – POW / The Prince Of Wales

Gramsci and pogofish like this.
  20. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

That's interesting. The Protection of Freedom Act 2012 has resulted in stricter interpretation of DPA guidelines for storing data and established an "only keep for as long as actually needed" principle. IIRC, unless there is some sort of "high risk" element/special condition to the licence on this particular club, licensing authorities normally only advise thirty days data retention to comply with the current legislation.

Might it be worth pursuing with the ICO?

Gramsci likes this.
  21. sim667

I've just checked the email from Orangenation about it, its actually 3 years.

Gramsci and pogofish like this.
  22. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

If it is purely ID data, then that sounds pretty unreasonable to me - Is there some sort of marketing/other permission included in the conditions of entry - and where can people inspect it?

Gramsci likes this.
  23. sim667

This is literally all the information I have, there is nothing on their website, nothing on the door, and I had to ask 3 people just to find this two lines of information our.

The only information I've not posted from the email where this was confirmed is the word "Hi" and the name of the person responding.

Gramsci, editor and pogofish like this.
  24. sim667

Also, I've just looked at the ICO website, they won't look into as its over 3 months since I contacted Fire about my concerns.

Gramsci likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had to take out my passport and get it scanned in at PoW on Saturday. It really pissed me off.

26. sim667

It irritated me too, at least their website tells you how long they keep it for though....... It looks like they've got a license for members only and the scan works as a temporary membership. Good to bump into you though, Ill drop you a PM to the photos when I've gone through them :)

editor likes this.
  27. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

So it's a members club now? Albeit one with a work around for non members?

28. sim667

Upstairs is...... I believe there's a pub too? So no idea about that..... Not going to lie I don't really know Brixton and Brixton venues that well.

snowy_again likes this.
  29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

So what Ive learned from above is that venues require proof which is scanned into a database.

The data protection of this information is "light touch" regulation. Depends on someone spending a lot of time pursuing this.

Also depends on venues doing what they say. As the regulation of this personal data storage appears minimal I think people's personal privacy is at risk.

pogofish likes this.
  30. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Hmm, I'd disagree. Some are becoming Data Controllers, under the ICO, but are doing it for different purposes.

Fines under DPA and then the GDPR from next year are massive.

pogofish likes this.