1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton venues requiring photo ID for entry

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2013.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

But I'm not a young person, this isn't empowering me at all. I'm over 50yrs old and I can no longer go drinking in most of brixton late at night. I no longer go to pubs I've drank in for 30yrs - because I don't own any photo ID. Is this the unintended social benefit these responsible venues had in mind? Rather against the 2010 equality act, I think. 'invisible hand' oh do fuck off.

Produce one that doesn't say my date of birth on then. Its more than obvious I'm of age. The card could say I'm over 18, perhaps even say over 25yrs - and charge half the price and I might consider it.

Greebo, Gramsci and editor like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He's pushed his luck to the absolute limit here with his spammy posts, but to claim that he's on some heartfelt mission to 'empower' young people is really taking the piss.

Greebo likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tom wants more of this, he wants every bar, club, restaurant, sports facility and everywhere else to demand ID so he can make more money for himself. He doesn't give a fuck about personal liberties, that's why he tries to spin his card into something that is supposedly 'empowering' for young people when in fact it's part of the process that forces all people to carry around ID. And that's not very empowering at all.

Greebo and sealion like this.
  4. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I don't understand why it's an issue for anyone that they should earn money for providing this service? Obviously no one and no organisation is currently motivated to provide it cheaper or for free. And no one is obliged to use it.

Agree it should probably just say over 18,21,25.

I hate the name Civilian Card though. Big turn off. Only armed forces use that term in everyday speak. Sounds horribly officious.

Personally, I've always carried my drivers licence since it was reissued as a card about twenty years ago. But I'd object to *having* to carry it. And I tend to avoid anywhere requiring ID scans these days, for no better reason than that it just feels too controlled and managed.

Greebo and discobastard like this.
  5. friendofdorothy

Am I right in thinking that brixton pubs demanding ID is a requirement of Lambeth licencing?

6. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

In Spain it has always been compulsory to carry ID at all times, which is not very nice really, though people there have never known any different so don't see it as much of an affront as British people would do if forced.

Having said that the existence of a national ID card makes many tasks from opening bank accounts to age checks to even travelling abroad much simpler. But having to carry it on you at all times is draconian.

Greebo likes this.
  7. Rushy

In some cases. In others they are trying to avoid a review which could impose stricter conditions.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As i understand it, some venues have had Photo ID scanning forced on them for fear of losing their licence/having their hours restricted etc, while some have elected to use it anyway.

Almost all the venues around Brixton ask for some kind of ID on weekends (or randomly ask people coming in, like at the Albert), although a smaller number do the full scanning thing. I'm going to compile an updated list of venues that request ID because it is getting depressingly long now.

Gramsci and friendofdorothy like this.
  9. friendofdorothy

Well they need some sort of photo ID if they want to go drinking in Brixton then they are obliged.

My over 60s pals have photo ID on their bus passes, but what about anyone over 25 and under 60? Lots of people don't drive and dont travel.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  10. friendofdorothy

does anyone think this could be illegal under anti age discrimation legislation? Are other cities / places doing this? Any campaigns against it out there?

Its one thing to ask for proof of age its another to scan your passport to prove who you are - what happens to those scans -is the information commissioner involved in this process?
    If police aren't allowed to do this why are doormen of bars allowed to so?

Greebo, Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a mess - just read the comments on Buzz (yes, Ken has spammed that to fuck too):
    Concerns grow over the rise of compulsory ID scanning in pubs, clubs and venues

Greebo likes this.
  12. Rushy

No they're not.
    a) plenty of places don't require it - I can't actually recall providing ID for a night in Brixton in ages.
    b) even if they do need ID, they can produce another type of ID. No one is forcing them to pay for this Civilian Card thing.

13. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

IIRC in most cases it's actually the police insisting on it.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Probably just muddying the waters but Freedoms Passes are available to others than us old fogeys and I believe they all look the same so you could be 16 and have a Freedom Pass.

Greebo likes this.
  15. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Being asked for ID has never bothered me personally. Never really understood why people get so angry about the idea.

16. friendofdorothy

a) I was asked for ID before 8pm at the Effra Social once - fortunately he let me in without, but it really pissed me off. I tended to avoid late night Brixton - I don't want to walk down there just on the off chance that I'll be sent home. It used to be just the Dog star and some other places I didn't want to go to anyway, but how long before Herne Hill pubs and other places demand them.

b) Produce what type of ID? - I don't mean the particular brand of PASS ID card, I mean what other type of ID - I have credit cards, TU membership card and an Iceland loyalty card - none of them have photos, what would you suggest?

Greebo and editor like this.
  17. friendofdorothy

Bit rich considering they can't demand to scan your passport, so they demand pubs do it for them. Its worse than suss.

Brixton Hatter, Greebo and editor like this.
  18. friendofdorothy

Apart from it being a stalkers fucking dream? I can see all sorts of personal safety issues here. What if the doorman is hitting on a customer - he then has access to her home address and other info.

and they can use the details for all that crap marketing stuff.

Some of us value our privacy. I come from a more paranoid age where the idea of someone or worse the govt keeping data on all your clubbing /pubbing habits was a creepy nightmare at the very least.

19. friendofdorothy

Over 60s have a free bus pass - don't think thats the same as a freedom pass - my mates use it as age ID to get in for free swimming etc.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It usually has to be accredited photo ID, so even my NUJ photo card isn't enough.

Greebo and Mr Retro like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't supposed you care much about privacy, personal freedom or having to entrust your personal information to databases that could be hacked/sold or used for nefarious purposes either. Or the cost of hassle/expense of forgetting it/losing it.

All those silly people worrying their silly little heads about such trifling matters, eh? So long as you don't have a problem with it, there must be nothing wrong with the idea!

Greebo, friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  22. SpamMisery

There are risks but most of the arguments against border on conspiralunacy; typified by the "you dont understand the problem" mentality

23. Rushy

Yes. Through the licensing process. Licencing can't impose many conditions themselves. They basically consult police, fire, planning, counselors, etc.. And manage the objections. Or representations, as they are known.

24. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

It is a Freedom Pass I have one and I've seen photos of Freedom Passes given for other reasons and they look the same.

E2a:Freedom Pass | London Councils
    Whoops,apologies I see there is a TFL 60+ Oyster card that I'd never heard of, sorry.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Greebo likes this.
  25. Rushy

So we are talking about different things. My post said that I didn't understand why people objected to them charging for their particular card, since no one is obliged to use it (and no one seems to be motivated to provide a free alternative).

It doesn't surprise me at all that you were asked for ID at the Effra with your sprightly demeanor and youthful looks. ;)

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lumping in people's valid fears about privacy, and concerns about database security with 'conspiralunacy' is both insulting and shows how little you understand the risks. It's a short step from compelling people to carry ID just to go for a drink to compulsory ID for all and it's one I'm strongly against, even if it doesn't appear to bother you.

Greebo, friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  27. SpamMisery

Think i'll step out of this discussion because itll only end with me on forced ignore or a ban. You crack on with telling everyone else theyre wrong and you know best.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  29. SpamMisery

Hahaha that Telegraph article is just rhetoric (and wrong). Dear me, I hope the other two links were better.

30. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

In Boston last year we went to a basketball ball game and they wouldn't serve us a beer because though my wife had a UK driving licence neither of us had a passport. The fucking jobsworths.

Fucked off at halftime because who wants to watch basketball anywhere approaching sober.